Model Cars Magazine Forum

BRBO 2021 Kenworth Aerodyne Cabover

Thanks, guys. Chassis is almost done:) I've detailed up the rear suspension and fitted the wheels, I also painted the brake drums to match the chassis. I've just finished filling the seem lines on the radiator and fuel tanks, I've decided to paint the tanks blue rather than foil them. Looking at it now, I wish I painted the engine blue, or at least painted the engine and box one colour.

20120722_235410.JPG

20120722_235517.JPG

20120722_235559.JPG

On 1/17/2021 at 11:44 PM, Olskoolrodder said:

Rolling chassis is looking great, my friend! :D 

Thanks, Stephen. It's looking better now since I chopped an inch out of it!

On 1/18/2021 at 10:16 PM, iamsuperdan said:

Love the colour! Very similar to my BRBO 2020 Aerodyne build!

But yours is looking much better than mine. 

Cheers, Dan. Yeah, I was browsing your thread just the other day, it looks amazing! The similarities are uncanny! 

20 hours ago, Bronzekeg said:

looking great so far love that blue also Gareth.

Thanks, Ken. It's called Pageant Blue.

Chop Chop!! Since getting the frame together it kept bugging me how overly long it looked, so I cut about an inch out of the frame to shorten it! I made the cut at one of the cross braces for strength when gluing it back together. I measured from front to rear hub each side and both sides measure exactly 213mm spot on! After some filling and touching up with some paint you'll never know it was there.

20120725_062329.JPG

20120725_062408.JPG

20120725_062542.JPG

So far this kit has been super easy to build, no fit issues and everything has lined up well to the next part, but the instructions aren't great at all. The drawings don't always look like the actual part and is impossible to tell how some parts go together. I had a heck of a time with the exhaust stack support frame. The diagonal cross bar has these locating points but there isn't anywhere for them to locate to, they don't show which way around they face on the instructions as they just look like plain bars. The diagonal bar also has a notch in it, again not shown on the instructions, which I thought was to clear the air intake pipe, but it doesn't fit very well that way around, but no matter what configuration these bars were in, every position felt like a bad fit. I got fed up in the end and just glued it all together where I got the least amount of interference.

20120724_053035.JPG

20120724_053140.JPG

20120726_064319.JPG

20120726_064431.JPG

On 1/20/2021 at 2:40 AM, doorsovdoon said:

Chop Chop!! Since getting the frame together it kept bugging me how overly long it looked, so I cut about an inch out of the frame to shorten it! I made the cut at one of the cross braces for strength when gluing it back together. I measured from front to rear hub each side and both sides measure exactly 213mm spot on! After some filling and touching up with some paint you'll never know it was there.

On 1/20/2021 at 2:34 PM, Mopar - D said:

Gareth your making a lot of great progress on your build. By shortening your frame you changed it from a west coast tractor to a east coast. Looking forward to seeing your work on the interior and cab. 

I believe the standard wheelbase on the K100 with the 108 inch Aero Cab was 180 inches measured from the center of the front wheel hub to the center of the tandem, the chassis in the kit is a lot longer.

51 minutes ago, Force said:

I believe the standard wheelbase on the K100 with the 108 inch Aero Cab was 180 inches measured from the center of the front wheel hub to the center of the tandem, the chassis in the kit is a lot longer.

Yes, it was too long for my liking. The 213mm measurement I quoted is just a random number and probably not to scale, I just wanted either side to measure exactly the same. As Dan mentioned, it's now an East Coast tractor, haha. I didn't know that was a thing but I love learning stuff like that.

12 minutes ago, doorsovdoon said:

Yes, it was too long for my liking. The 213mm measurement I quoted is just a random number and probably not to scale, I just wanted either side to measure exactly the same. As Dan mentioned, it's now an East Coast tractor, haha. I didn't know that was a thing but I love learning stuff like that.

It looks like you are very close, 180 inches is slightly over 180mm in 1:25th scale, 182.88mm to be exact.

Edited by Force

3 minutes ago, Force said:

It looks like you are very close, 180 inches is slightly over 180mm in 1:25th scale, 182.88 mm to be exact.

That's good to know. I just took a measurement now, and from the centre of the tandem to the front hub centre it's184mm! Pretty darn close! I'm a happy chappy now, haha.