Model Cars Magazine Forum

BRBO 2021 Kenworth Aerodyne Cabover

Getting closer to the finish line now. The frame repair is filled and painted, tanks are fitted, just got one of the mud guards to fit and I can move on to the cab. I'm trying to decide now what colour to do the interior. I don't want to do black, except maybe the carpet, as it'll hide too much when it's all together, so I've narrowed it down to either.. Dark Red, Brown, Beige, or Dark Blue (not the blue in the picture, more like a navy colour) The cab will be white with light blue stripes, what would look best? let me know:)

20120727_034604.JPG

20120727_040848.JPG

Edited by doorsovdoon

10 hours ago, Olskoolrodder said:

Man you're moving fast on this, nicely done :D 

Well, there's nothing else to do, Lol. Not allowed out, my place of work is closed, and it hasn't stopped raining for nearly a week. If I didn't have these kits to build I'd probably lose my mind!

3 hours ago, gotnitro? said:

Brown w tan highlights? 

ooh, that would work. I didn't think of using those two together. Thanks, Jeff.

Rolling chassis all complete, on to the cab and interior next:) This being my first high parts count Semi build and hearing all the horror stories of old AMT Semi kits I was honestly expecting a nightmare build, but this has been a real pleasure to work with so far, and after some test fitting of the cab and interior I see no problems ahead. I wasn't sure how well the 34 year old decals would hold up when it's time to place them on the cab, so I test fitted the mud flap decals in case they fell apart, but they lay down just fine and stick pretty good.

20120728_064412.JPG

20120728_064450.JPG

20120728_064545.JPG

20120728_064624.JPG

13 hours ago, doorsovdoon said:

Well, there's nothing else to do, Lol. Not allowed out, my place of work is closed, and it hasn't stopped raining for nearly a week. If I didn't have these kits to build I'd probably lose my mind!

LOL, yeah man, that would do it ??

It's looking great in the latest pictures, my friend :D 

Edited by Olskoolrodder

1 hour ago, Rockford said:

Looking great mate! Brave man on the chassis chop AFTER paint!

Cant believe it's been raining in  Wales!? We've had nothing but warm sunshine here in Liverpool ?

That's ok then, the Welsh weather is too extreme for you soft Northerners anyway, xD

Interior is done. The CB radio and fire extinguisher are from my parts tin. The bed isn't great but I've never been any good at free handing symmetrical patterns so it is what it is. I put a companion doggo in there to try and cover some of my awful painting, Lol.  Anyway, only the cab left to do now and I can call this one done.

20120730_012843.JPG

20120730_014521.JPG

20120730_014639.JPG

Cracking job on the interior, quite a bit to get your teeth into with an Aerodyne isn't there? Like how you've picked out all the buttons on the diamond stitching and the bedspread is great. Even though you're not working at the moment you're still making amazing progress with this kit! 

How does the big rig experience stack up against your cars? I like the trucks because I'm not too concerned about the finish, especially on the chassis. With a car, the body finish is everything and if I get one blemish I'm torturing myself over it. I've got the Revell K100 Aerodyne to do next, but I think the AMT version you are doing is superior. Not the weather for spray painting at the moment, though I know you don't let it stop you and you still get excellent results!

Keep up the good work sir!

Hi Garett!! What the heck are you doing waaaaayyyyy over here in the big rig section? Just stumbled upon this thread. Awesome work as always sir, I bought two rigs last year and you may have inspired me to be brave and dive into one. Everything looks fantastic, very clean build, and that was a very brave move doing a chassis chop after assembly.... cheeky really. 
Regarding the old decals, I have read that applying clear decal bonder over them helps. I have not tried this myself yet, so maybe a search would turn up more info. Look forward to seeing you finish this up!

Cheers, Steve

19 hours ago, Rockford said:

Cracking job on the interior, quite a bit to get your teeth into with an Aerodyne isn't there? Like how you've picked out all the buttons on the diamond stitching and the bedspread is great. Even though you're not working at the moment you're still making amazing progress with this kit! 

How does the big rig experience stack up against your cars? I like the trucks because I'm not too concerned about the finish, especially on the chassis. With a car, the body finish is everything and if I get one blemish I'm torturing myself over it. I've got the Revell K100 Aerodyne to do next, but I think the AMT version you are doing is superior. Not the weather for spray painting at the moment, though I know you don't let it stop you and you still get excellent results!

Keep up the good work sir!

Yeah, it's loads of fun, I'm really enjoying the big rig builds. Compared to the cars it's not a whole lot different, just more parts and test fitting really, dare I say, a little bit easier! Probably because they're bigger and the chassis is basically all one colour, or it could be I've just been lucky with the two I've built so far! You're right about this AMT kit, it's extremely well designed. Strangely, nearly all the newer Kenworth K100's and Aerodyne kits I've seen built on YouTube look rubbish with horrendous fit issues and awful looking tyres. If Round2 are wondering what kit to re-issue next that's worth blowing the cobwebs off they would do extremely well to re-issue this one.

12 hours ago, Steve H said:

Hi Garett!! What the heck are you doing waaaaayyyyy over here in the big rig section? Just stumbled upon this thread. Awesome work as always sir, I bought two rigs last year and you may have inspired me to be brave and dive into one. Everything looks fantastic, very clean build, and that was a very brave move doing a chassis chop after assembly.... cheeky really. 
Regarding the old decals, I have read that applying clear decal bonder over them helps. I have not tried this myself yet, so maybe a search would turn up more info. Look forward to seeing you finish this up!

Cheers, Steve

I know, right?! Dangerous territory for builders with no shelf space! xD Too late now, I'm addicted to building these things. This is my second build and I have two more cabovers in the pipeline! Regarding the decals, I just finished fitting them and they laid down just fine, I'll post some pictures soon:)

Finished painting the cab this morning, also, the ancient decals went on perfectly! Just clearcoat left to do now, some minor detailing and fit the trim. I decided to cut up some cloth for the bed blanket as I wasn't happy with how the paint looked. I kept the dog as I've given him a name now "Diesel" Lol

20210126_145854_LLS.JPG

20210126_150006_LLS.JPG

20210126_150112_LLS.JPG