Model Cars Magazine Forum

1962 Chevrolet Impala SS

Mike F.

On 5/17/2021 at 9:17 PM, Mike F. said:

My next venture will be this 1962 Chevy Impala SS. I've already started on the engine. I really like this kit. Lots of parts and good detail. 

20210517_093133.jpg.c9fee7b16f15f16cf14ae34227bcbd6e.jpg

Good luck with it Michael.  I have that model also, been sitting on the shelf waiting for about 2 years.  I like the car and will be following.

4 hours ago, TransAmMike said:

Good luck with it Michael.  I have that model also, been sitting on the shelf waiting for about 2 years.  I like the car and will be following.

Uh oh, nothing like a little pressure.

I'm thinking of going with one of the two tone color combinations below. Either #955 or #965.

With white stripe between.

http://www.xframechevy.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/1962-paint-chips.jpg

Edited by Mike F.

5 minutes ago, Mike F. said:

Uh oh, nothing like a little pressure.

I'm thinking of going with one of the two tone color combinations below. Either #955 or #965.

With white stripe between.

http://www.xframechevy.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/1962-paint-chips.jpg

Whoa Michael, thats way too many numbers to decifer😄     After my current 2 tone paint job issues, I'm pretty surre I'm done with doing 2 tone.

Edited by TransAmMike

19 minutes ago, TransAmMike said:

Whoa Michael, thats way too many numbers to decifer😄     After my current 2 tone paint job issues, I'm pretty surre I'm done with doing 2 tone.

Sorry about that.

Surf Green over Laurel Green

Or Twilight Turquois over Twilight Blue Poly.

I think with this body design, with the dual chrome trim separating upper and lower, 2 tone should be easy to do.

On 5/17/2021 at 9:17 PM, Mike F. said:

My next venture will be this 1962 Chevy Impala SS. I've already started on the engine. I really like this kit. Lots of parts and good detail. 

20210517_093133.jpg.c9fee7b16f15f16cf14ae34227bcbd6e.jpg

A friend of mine who passed on way too young bought a new  '624-door Hardtop Impala.  He loved to drive around (even in freezing weather with the heater full on)) with all the windows down and the AM radio blasting away. Great memories!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So, not much progress. Been busy with life.

I did decide on some colors. Tried to find some to match the Twilight Turquois over Twilight Blue Poly. Found these:

20210615_213821.jpg.2cafe0231f45308be76be46682b2827e.jpg

coral blue and brilliant blue. They seem close enough.

5 hours ago, Mike F. said:

This is what I was going for.

See the source image

Hey Mike! My first post on here and I wanted to reply to show my daily driver which is a 64 bel air. I have collected some 'inspiration' photos if you were looking for some 1:1, I would be happy to share. 

20210617_160403.jpg

3 hours ago, Airwreck said:

Hey Mike! My first post on here and I wanted to reply to show my daily driver which is a 64 bel air. I have collected some 'inspiration' photos if you were looking for some 1:1, I would be happy to share. 

20210617_160403.jpg

Sure, thanks, how about some dashboard pics?

Nice ride. Are you planning to restore it?

58 minutes ago, bisc63 said:

That is one sharp '62, the color is gorgeous!

Indeed! The more I look at t though, the more I think maybe it is not two-tone and possibly just the lighting? Either way, I'm going with my scheme.

28 minutes ago, Mike F. said:

No not going to restore, it's one I brought back from near extinction and love driving it as it. Dashboad? Sure.  I'm driving it right now.  Lol. Here is some lighting I added under the seats as well. 

16239752230764530033343019246270.jpg

41 minutes ago, Mike F. said:

No not going to restore, it's one I brought back from near extinction and love driving it as it. Dashboad? Sure.  I'm driving it right now.  Lol. Here is some lighting I added under the seats as well. 

20200526_213246.jpg

Edited by Airwreck

3 minutes ago, Airwreck said:

16239752230764530033343019246270.jpg

Interior looks to be in nice shape. Love the steering wheel. And the ball brings back memories.

11 hours ago, Mike F. said:

This is what I was going for.

See the source image

Hi Mike, my dad bought a ‘62 Impala new in that colour. Tamiya has a light metallic blue that is very close to the factory colour. I did a replica of my dad’s car a few years back, it’s in the under glass section from a while back. Regardless of what colour you go with I know I will like it, I’m very partial to those beauties.

Cheers, Steve

10 hours ago, Steve H said:

Hi Mike, my dad bought a ‘62 Impala new in that colour. Tamiya has a light metallic blue that is very close to the factory colour. I did a replica of my dad’s car a few years back, it’s in the under glass section from a while back. Regardless of what colour you go with I know I will like it, I’m very partial to those beauties.

Cheers, Steve

Thanks for the inspiration Steve. I hope I do your dad's car justice. I'll check under glass for your replica.