Model Cars Magazine Forum

1962 Chevrolet Impala SS

Mike F.

13 hours ago, Steve H said:

Hi Mike, my dad bought a ‘62 Impala new in that colour. Tamiya has a light metallic blue that is very close to the factory colour. I did a replica of my dad’s car a few years back, it’s in the under glass section from a while back. Regardless of what colour you go with I know I will like it, I’m very partial to those beauties.

Cheers, Steve

Hey Steve,

I searched for your build under glass but could not find. Can you comment in the thread to bring it to the top?

So, a little more progress on the 409.

I got the distributor and plug wires in place.

Manifolds and carbs. I don't like doing the plug wires, but once you've done them, can't not do them. For some reason, the distributor kept breaking off, so I ended up drilling holes in the base of the cap and into the block, then put a post in to mount to. Ended up ok.

20210621_193257.jpg.9f102b8d8965c0141ca81fa2c2bae465.jpg20210621_193146.jpg.1b3aea3d87f8aabdf95ced80697e65c9.jpg20210621_193108.jpg.7bef3c81f0dba79c804419885b7b35b5.jpg

• Like 1

Hey Mike, this kit is on my wish list so much thanks to you for posting your build. Engine looks great so far. I love these early to mid 60’s GM full size hard tops, they still look stunning to my eyes sixty years later.

If you’re looking for factory original paints and if you have access to an airbrush, I highly recommend Scalefinishes.com flat base paints. Jameston offers all the original ‘62 Chevy colors and his paint is a joy to use. It does require a clearcoat (I use TS-13).

Edited by papajohn97
Removed extra word

2 hours ago, papajohn97 said:

Hey Mike, this kit is on my wish list so much thanks to you for posting your build. Engine looks great so far. I love these early to mid 60’s GM full size hard tops, they still look stunning to my eyes sixty years later.

If you’re looking for factory original paints and if you have access to an airbrush, I highly recommend Scalefinishes.com flat base paints. Jameston offers all the original ‘62 Chevy colors and his paint is a joy to use. It does require a clearcoat (I use TS-13).

Thanks for the tip John(?), I found some Tamia colors close to what I envisioned, so, will stick with them fo now. Next project I'll check out the website.

I think you will enjoy working with this kit. Nice details and parts seem to line up well, so far.

• 3 weeks later...
9 hours ago, mustang1989 said:

That does indeed help those springs out some. I've done the same thing in the past but started winding my own springs out of wire wound around the threads of an automotive trim panel retaining screw.

Good tip, I'll have to try that next time.

Dang! I just realized I forgot to trim the flashing from those exhaust pipes, duh.

Eyes aren't what they used to be.

Looks like crapola. Guess I'll have to do insitu. 

Edited by Mike F.

On 6/18/2021 at 7:20 PM, bisc63 said:

Here it is:

My dad bought a brand new 62 Impala too with a 283 automatic. He always complained that it was really slow ( that year 283 had 175bhp) . My brother had a used 62 Impala with a 327 /250 bhp powerglide. It was better than the 283, except on gasoline.