Model Cars Magazine Forum

Have you seen this?

5 hours ago, SCRWDRVR said:

Nice, I want the Jungle Jim cars and that 57 Cadillac. I like a few of those trucks too. Thanks for sharing...

I was a little excited when I first saw the '57 Cadillac too!

The box art is fantastic, but I soon realized that it was the same kit as this.

s-l600.jpg

002.jpg.9b1051f2ed0b64a789d268e95e5e7d8b.jpg

Big disappointment.

Wait till the "why do they give us unsuspecting noobs these lousy old kits over and over again" crowd starts getting their hands on this one!! :blink:

atlan57eldorado.jpg

It's good to see the 1/32 scale '56 Buick coming back though.

For small scale, these old Revell 1/32 scale kits were pretty darn nice!

Even with the multi-piece bodies.

P_20180822_073935.jpg

Steve

19 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

I was a little excited when I first saw the '57 Cadillac too!

The box art is fantastic, but I soon realized that it was the same kit as this.

s-l600.jpg

002.jpg.9b1051f2ed0b64a789d268e95e5e7d8b.jpg

Big disappointment.

Wait till the "why do they give us unsuspecting noobs these lousy old kits over and over again" crowd starts getting their hands on this one!! :blink:

atlan57eldorado.jpg

It's good to see the 1/32 scale '56 Buick coming back though.

For small scale, these old Revell 1/32 scale kits were pretty darn nice!

Even with the multi-piece bodies.

P_20180822_073935.jpg

Steve

Thanks for the info on that one Steve, at least I will know what to expect. I almost bought a 1:1 57 Cadillac about 30 years ago and have always regretted not buying it. As long as the kit is build able I want one. I've always wanted to build a kit of it...

1 hour ago, SCRWDRVR said:

Thanks for the info on that one Steve, at least I will know what to expect. I almost bought a 1:1 57 Cadillac about 30 years ago and have always regretted not buying it. As long as the kit is build able I want one. I've always wanted to build a kit of it...

Unless you actually had an Eldorado Brougham, I personally would either look for one of the Johan/X-EL ‘58 Fleetwoods or one of the Imex ‘58 Eldorados. Both are better than the Revell ‘57.

Steve

1 hour ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

Unless you actually had an Eldorado Brougham, I personally would either look for one of the Johan/X-EL ‘58 Fleetwoods or one of the Imex ‘58 Eldorados. Both are better than the Revell ‘57.

Steve

Agreed.  And this story might save somebody some money/aggravation:  at a kit swap meet once, I bought a package deal of an IMEX '58 Cadillac top-down convertible, and a resin '58 Cadillac Coupe de Ville body mastered from the Jo-Han Sixty Special.

The seller wanted to build a full-detail '58 Coupe de Ville, using the IMEX chassis and engine under the resin body.  He was a good builder but he had to give up on that project.  The Jo-Han body is smaller than 1/25 scale and the IMEX kit looks even bigger than 1/24.  So he couldn't make the parts work together. I'm not sure why he didn't go with the IMEX '58 hardtop kit.  Maybe at the time he couldn't find one, or didn't like the separate roof on that kit.

I just took a look at the resin body.  The maker did a pretty good job of converting the Jo-Han 4-door body into a 2-door coupe.  But he left the "FLEETWOOD" lettering across the trunk.  The Coupe de Ville trunk lid should have a Cadillac crest above a gold "V." 

Edited by Mike999
goof

2 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

Steve

Will do, thanks Steve... I'll put them on my want list. Man that list is getting long LOL...

3 hours ago, Mike999 said:

Agreed.  And this story might save somebody some money/aggravation:  at a kit swap meet once, I bought a package deal of an IMEX '58 Cadillac top-down convertible, and a resin '58 Cadillac Coupe de Ville body mastered from the Jo-Han Sixty Special.

The seller wanted to build a full-detail '58 Coupe de Ville, using the IMEX chassis and engine under the resin body.  He was a good builder but he had to give up on that project.  The Jo-Han body is smaller than 1/25 scale and the IMEX kit looks even bigger than 1/24.  So he couldn't make the parts work together. I'm not sure why he didn't go with the IMEX '58 hardtop kit.  Maybe at the time he couldn't find one, or didn't like the separate roof on that kit.

I just took a look at the resin body.  The maker did a pretty good job of converting the Jo-Han 4-door body into a 2-door coupe.  But he left the "FLEETWOOD" lettering across the trunk.  The Coupe de Ville trunk lid should have a Cadillac crest above a gold "V." 

Yes Mike, I should have mentioned that.

The Johan Fleetwood is in fact a little smaller that 1/25th scale.

Apparently Johan did that with some of the larger cars so that they would fit in the standard Johan box.

Not that easy to find either.

Likewise, The IMEX kit is all of 1/24th scale if not larger.

It has it's dimension problems as well, but all in all, it's a fairly nice kit.

I think with some love it would build up into a pretty convincing Eldorado Biarritz.

Steve

1 hour ago, stitchdup said:

If your getting the inex kit try and get the convertible. The roof on the hardtop is too short and doesn't meet the header of the window. You can also find it in a heller or araii box

Beware!  The Heller '58 Cadillac is a bad copy of the original ARII kit.  It's motorized and lost some chassis detail, because it needed space for the motor/batteries.  The same goes for the even worse LEE copy from China.  Stick with ARII, IMEX or Micro Ace kits (the new name for ARII/IMEX).  

Here's a thread from 2012 talking about it:

Need Some Help - '58 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz - General Automotive Talk (Trucks and Cars) - Model Cars Magazine Forum

Edited by Mike999
goof