Model Cars Magazine Forum

Work bench lighting

I believe this may have been asked before but I was unable to find it. So.......  I am looking for better lighting for my work bench. I am now using a desk lamp with a flexible arm and a 60 watt bulb. No good ! Light beam is too concentrated and I have shadows. As my eyes get older I need better light. Can anyone recommend something they use and like ? I have a visor with a light but I really don't care much for that.  Thanks

Yes, there were multiple threads on the subject.  You will likely also get as many different solutions as there are responding members.

DSCN1766.JPG

This is my solution (and it casts plenty of light on assembly work area where the chair is located).  For overall illumination I have a 30W fluorescent magnifier light.  It used to have standard cool white tube, but since I found the "kitchens and baths" 3000K tube, I have been using it.  3000K color temperature is similar to halogen lights.  I sometimes use the magnifier, but for most part I just use that lamp for over-the-bench illumination.  I often bring it down close to what I'm doing, to get more light there.  The second light is bolted high up to the side of the shelf.  It is black thin goose-neck with a small 20W fluorescent lamp head on the end (in this picture the goose-neck is bent in a bow with the lamp pointing down). That lamp gives me strong concentrated light I can point directly to what I'm working on.  Between these two I have more than ample illumination (and I like very strong light).  The bench with a drill press and lathe on the right also has a fluorescent magnifier lamp and another goose-neck halogen (shining light on the drill press' base).  You can also see my Optivisor perched on the drill press. I couldn't model without it - it is indispensable. I have no lights attached to the Optivisor - my other light sources provide plenty of light.

Back on the left, I have stereo-microscope with its own ring light. But that is only used for extremely small jobs.

My work area is pretty busy, so the lights blend into the busy background. To show the image in full resolution, right-click on it and select "view image" (or whatever option your browser has to view the image on its own).

Edited by peteski

3 hours ago, cobraman said:

I believe this may have been asked before but I was unable to find it. So.......  I am looking for better lighting for my work bench. I am now using a desk lamp with a flexible arm and a 60 watt bulb. No good ! Light beam is too concentrated and I have shadows. As my eyes get older I need better light. Can anyone recommend something they use and like ? I have a visor with a light but I really don't care much for that.  Thanks

What is your work space like? Are you looking for an auxiliary lamp sort of idea, or something more permanent? I rigged up two double 2’ led fixtures about my bench. 

9D8827C8-BACD-4C51-8B98-9A8ECBEC0964.jpeg

D4AEA521-3D0C-45F6-8325-769F51FDBFDD.jpeg