Model Cars Magazine Forum

1972 Ford Gran Torino Sport

1959scudetto

Owned a 72 Gran Torino coupe with a 351 2V Cleveland...not only could I keep gas in it when switch to 4 barrel carb ( Heavy footinitus) but those God awful heavy hubcaps would take a different course when turning hard.  

One night on the way to pick up another cruising buddy, a little to fast taking a corner and off takes my left frt hubcap. Like a rogue circular missile,  it launches off the curb airborne to land in front of some front porch step, right up that inclined obstacle and whammi lammed the front porch screen door. 

By the time I reached and planted my foot on the porch to collect my rogue hubcap, the porch light comes on and door swings opens.....

Don't remember exactly what was said or hollered or if it was male or female that came to the door. By that time I was halfway back to an open car door with a running engine. I don't even think my feet left imprints in his front yard but did leave a single black streak that faded away after 20 feet...

Still giggle to myself when I think about it....oh! Nice build of a great car!

19 hours ago, satterwhite78 said:

Owned a 72 Gran Torino coupe with a 351 2V Cleveland...not only could I keep gas in it when switch to 4 barrel carb ( Heavy footinitus) but those God awful heavy hubcaps would take a different course when turning hard.  

One night on the way to pick up another cruising buddy, a little to fast taking a corner and off takes my left frt hubcap. Like a rogue circular missile,  it launches off the curb airborne to land in front of some front porch step, right up that inclined obstacle and whammi lammed the front porch screen door. 

By the time I reached and planted my foot on the porch to collect my rogue hubcap, the porch light comes on and door swings opens.....

Don't remember exactly what was said or hollered or if it was male or female that came to the door. By that time I was halfway back to an open car door with a running engine. I don't even think my feet left imprints in his front yard but did leave a single black streak that faded away after 20 feet...

Loved your story! My '72 Gran Torino was a sports roof (fastback) and had the 351 Cleveland 4 bbl., 4 on the floor Hurst, posi rear and the Ford factory mags. But I put some aluminum slots wheels on it, 7 inch wide front on 70's tires, 8 inch wide on back with 60's fat tires and had to put air shocks  on so they wouldn't rub. Unfortunately, I kept getting speeding tickets and lost my license and insurance was cancelled. (I drove anyway). I had dual cherry bomb mufflers on the thing and people heard me coming. 

On 5/30/2021 at 11:27 PM, Monty said:

OK, I'm jealous.  A hard-to-find Johan kit of (IMO) Ford's best looking Torino, done up in a great shade of red. 

Very nice!

Thanks, Monty - back then it was easy to get one.

On 5/31/2021 at 12:52 AM, Dragonhawk1066 said:

Good looking Torino!

Thanks, Craig !

On 5/31/2021 at 3:57 AM, espo said:

Great looking build and the color and the finish really show the body lines. 

Thanks, David - it was a quick build - I even didn't paint the interior (apart from instrument panel and steering wheel)

On 5/31/2021 at 4:48 AM, spencer1984 said:

It looks great in that color, nice job!

Thank you, Bill !

On 5/31/2021 at 7:00 AM, grodudulle77 said:

Very nice build Helmut, awesome look !!😀👍

Merci, Philippe!

On 5/31/2021 at 5:21 PM, Bainford said:

Nice looking Torino. A simple kit, but they got the shape right. Looks great in red. I have an old gluebomb rescue that I've been slowly putting a plan together to build. I'm feeling a bit inspired.

Thank you, Trevor - start it ! Restoring/saving old built-ups can be a lot of fun!

On 5/31/2021 at 5:35 PM, crazyjim said:

Good looking build.

Thanks, Jim !

On 5/31/2021 at 6:47 PM, satterwhite78 said:

Thank you, Chuck - by the way, great story with the flying hubcaps (reminds me of the movie bullitt, where the bad guys' Dodge Charger also threw away hubcaps) - that's the reason my model has alloys... :-)

On 6/1/2021 at 8:28 AM, slusher said:

Great looking Torino!  You build some awesome models sir…

Thanks Carl - I did not expect to get that many comments for this model - is probably due to the fact you don't see it often.

On 6/1/2021 at 9:37 AM, iSewen said:

Looks awesome! 

Thank you, Michal!

On 6/1/2021 at 9:56 PM, Koellefornia Kid said:

Very nice Torino! Paint and wheels are perfect for this one!

Danke, Oliver !

• 1 month later...
On 5/29/2021 at 5:46 PM, michelle said:

nice work  i wish revell or round 2 would make a  kit of the 72 and 73  torino sports so we can have a easy to get more detialed  factory stock  kit of these  

Please... not Revell!!!! Seems every newer Revell kit I get has body accuracy issues, including the S&H Torino.

Round 2 has a nice Torino body with the old MPC stock car. They need to tool an interior, chassis and clear red tail lights.

Edited by Sledsel

On 7/8/2021 at 8:50 AM, ATHU said:

Always liked the shape of that car. Excellent work on a very rare kit Helmut!!

Thank you, Anders !

On 7/8/2021 at 1:52 PM, Zippi said:

Nice looking.  Reminds me of the move "Grand Torino" with Clint Eastwood.  I always liked the hood scoop on this car.  Great build.    

Thanks, Bob - if built today, I would make the dark green version from Eastwood's movie.

• 2 years later...