Model Cars Magazine Forum

Frankenstiened '72 Chevy shortbox stepside

Glad to see you brought this one all the way to the finish line.

Great color choice, and the wheel/tire package is perfect. As always you signature "Milberry strip" on the windshield is the finishing touch

Thanks again on the tip for using the Revell 64-66 chevy frame under these AMT and MPC 68-72 Chevy/GMC kits. I have a couple planned that will end up better off after learning about the ease of this swap. 

7 hours ago, 89AKurt said:

I've never touched an MPC kit, so now I need to hunt one down.  You need to shave the sidelight detail to use those nice decals?  Came out very nice!

I didn't really want to shave off the marker lights Kurt. But the MPC cab had the deluxe style markers molded on and the AMT rear fenders had the standard markers and they didn't match so I got rid of both.

I really didn't know what I was gonna do for side markers when I got rid of the molded on ones. Probably would have just left them off as it is a custom street truck but then the Jimmy came out with the decals so I used them. 

Looking back, I should have put the decals on thin sheet palstic first so they'd have some depth but the kit's more of a shelf model than a contest quality build with lots of other corners cut anyway. 

BTW, there's no real advantage to the MPC cab over the AMT cab that's out already besides the grille and bumper being separate parts. It's just what I happened to have on hand when I started.

14 hours ago, Can-Con said:

I didn't really want to shave off the marker lights Kurt. But the MPC cab had the deluxe style markers molded on and the AMT rear fenders had the standard markers and they didn't match so I got rid of both.

I really didn't know what I was gonna do for side markers when I got rid of the molded on ones. Probably would have just left them off as it is a custom street truck but then the Jimmy came out with the decals so I used them. 

Looking back, I should have put the decals on thin sheet palstic first so they'd have some depth but the kit's more of a shelf model than a contest quality build with lots of other corners cut anyway. 

BTW, there's no real advantage to the MPC cab over the AMT cab that's out already besides the grille and bumper being separate parts. It's just what I happened to have on hand when I started.

Thank you.  I built this AMT model, went overboard correcting several pet peeves, so know what you were thinking of.  The important thing, it's done and on a shelf, not in the stash!

Thanks everyone. 

This actually started off as just me showing how the cab and chassis would easily fit together, I had no intention of finishing it when I started. BUT, sometimes these things just develop a life of their own. I am glad I carried through with it and I'm quite pleased with how this pile of junk parts turned out. 😉