Model Cars Magazine Forum

Mark Donohue Sunoco Mclaren M6A

I have been wanting to do this kit ever since I got it. I was fortunate enough to see Mark Donohue win with this car at a USRRC race at Watkins Glen in 1967. He won pole to flag. Kit was sprayed with a mix of Tamiya TS15 and TS55.  Both were decanted and airbrushed. Tamiya clear was used.  There were a number of features I added and modifications made. These are explained in the captions below the pictures. Thanks for looking and comments are most welcome. 

DSC07280.JPG.13c64d2dcabd2b7e62317911eaf75749.JPG

Of course non steering wheels on models is a pet peeve of mine. This was a fairly easy conversion. Keeping the wheelbase and wheel height the same was a priority. 

DSC07283.JPG.3a3fc44c8d7198a3959d1ecb24950afb.JPG

Finished car. Kits instructions warned the decals were quite thin.  I heeded that waring and they went on with out a hitch. Glad there was an extra set though. Rivet detail was kinda sparse so I drilled them all out and added copper wire which was then ground down with a Dremel  to make new rivets. It was a lot of work but worth it in the end

DSC07284.JPG.5c2cf2655803079e88b144ec9e19dc6f.JPG

Business end of the car took some fiddling to get everything to fit. That is expected of a resin kit. Overall quality of the kit was very good though. I like Fisher kits. He will be missed . 

DSC07285.JPG.2098fdeff25200a684d7499ec1724ccf.JPG

The stance of the car was correct right out of the box. Tire decals came out of the spares.

DSC07289.JPG.e126a373393c9fa1931dfde40b2680a9.JPG

The interior recieved most of my attention. New steering wheel, scratch built shifter and water pipes (not visible) dash decals and seatbelts from silk thread.  And a few extra switches. Kit suppllied phot etch interior was a nice plus to this kit. 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Justin Porter said:

Really fantastic build of a seriously coveted kit. One of the Fisher sports cars are REALLY high on my resin want list. 

I know how you feel Justin....when I saw this for sale I snapped it right up...regardless of the price, which as it turns out wasn't too bad. Only slightly over what he originally had them for sale on his site.  I also have done, the Mclaren/Hulme M6A so this was like a re-visit only this time I added more detail.   Thank you for the compliment BTW...much appreciated. 

23 hours ago, 1959scudetto said:

Excellent model, Rich - a joy to look at!

I'm glad that I have got some Fisher resin cars waiting to be built (Chaparral 2 F, Porsche 917 longtail "Hippie" and 917/20 "pink pig", Ferrari 512 S coda lunga and 512 M "Sunoco")

Helmut...looks like we are on the same page.  I have the Chaparral, 512S coda lunga and 512M all built. Plus others. Have not done the 917's yet. I also have build notes (colors and mods, etc) on these builds and whenever you decide to do them I would share,  if you like.  Thank you for the compliments as always. 

23 hours ago, TonyK said:

Great car, model, job, driver.....You get what I'm saying. Enjoyed looking at this. Thanks for sharing.

Agreed, I got to meet Mark at an SCCA event. There was a reason we called him "Captain Nice"  Thank you fro the compliments/

23 hours ago, Turbo95187 said:

Gorgeous Rich!

Thanks Brett.

18 hours ago, bbowser said:

Wow!  Beautiful work.  I especially like the wheels posed as turning.

Thank you Bruce....I make an effort to do this on all my builds. 

11 hours ago, sflam123 said:

Great job!!  I love the USRRC/Can-Am sports car era!!

You should have seen them race, almost as exciting as the Can'Am. 

9 hours ago, Dave B said:

Great build Rich, that does look spectacular.  I too like the Fisher resins.

Dave B

Thanks Dave, resins can be fussy and I have avoided them in the past even though I own probably 30+. The more I do the higher my confidence goes. And some day, soon, I hope...you will get your wish and  I will tackle that AVS shadow. 
Thanks for the compliments and encouragement. 

Absolutely beautiful! I really like the posable wheels and the finish is outstanding. I've built a number of Fisher kits for others but have yet to build one for myself. If one has the opportunity to aquire any of his kits don't hesitate, you won't be disappointed.

His kits will indeed be missed. In addition to truly fantastic car and aircraft kits he was a top level luthier and built amazing guitars. Only wish I had the money for one of those.

Edited by Phirewriter

On 6/30/2021 at 10:31 AM, Phildaupho said:

Fantastic looking racing car. I also saw Mark race in 1967 at Kent Washington in a USRRC event. Both the Lola and Camaro were there. I instantly became a fan of Donohue, Sunoco, Penske, Can-Am and Trans-Am. 

I was a fan after meeting him in person. A true gentleman and ambassador to the sport. Thank you for the compliments Phil.

20 hours ago, Venom said:

Awesome! Really like looking at this... it has such wonderful curves and colors. Great work on the details👍

Thank you Josh...I really enjoyed doing this kit.

8 hours ago, Phirewriter said:

Absolutely beautiful! I really like the posable wheels and the finish is outstanding. I've built a number of Fisher kits for others but have yet to build one for myself. If one has the opportunity to aquire any of his kits don't hesitate, you won't be disappointed.

His kits will indeed be missed. In addition to truly fantastic car and aircraft kits he was a top level luthier and built amazing guitars. Only wish I had the money for one of those.

I have built a few kits for others and been paid.  It is not as enjoyable as doing them for yourself. There is a lot less pressure when you do your own and they seem to come out better. I am thankful I have most of his kits. Now to build them.  Thanks for the kind words...most appreciated. 

On 7/4/2021 at 5:09 PM, Gramps46 said:

Oh yes you really captured the look Rich.  Like you and others I saw it race too.

Thank you very much Gary.  Did you see him at the glen or somewhere else. 

On 7/9/2021 at 5:38 PM, grodudulle77 said:

Very nice work !! 👍😀

Thank you for the kind words. 

On 7/10/2021 at 7:43 AM, PappyD340 said:

Very nice!

Thank you Larry. 

• 3 weeks later...