Model Cars Magazine Forum

WalMart has new AMT shipper July 2021

i hope walmart starts to sell models again. im so tired of paying top dollar and then shipping too.   even places that have discounted prices become high once the 10+ dollars for shipping comes in. 

hobby lobby is the only store in my area (within 45 minutes) that sells car models, but they are so rarely updated. its like i can go 1 time per 6 months or so. 

I'd be interested to see what all theyre stocking if anyone finds themselves in front of one of these displays...

My local store in Indiana had one at Christmas - was a decent selection of stuff, and like Dave says, the prices weren't bad either...

I have not seen Wal-mart sell model kits in decades around here. They may have them online.  My local HL is 35 miles from me. I only go when they have them at 40% off which is every other week. Ordering from online hobby stores or ebay the shipping is just way too much. 

23 minutes ago, bluestringer said:

Ordering from online hobby stores or ebay the shipping is just way too much. 

I feel ya my brother but it's the cost of doing bidness and sometimes you just gotta suck it up.  Sometimes you can catch a good deal with free or low shipping on eBay. Sometimes the online hobby vendors will have sales or specials or throw in free shipping over a certain order $ amount. And then you gotta figure what a 70-mile round trip to your HL costs you in gas and your time/inconvenience, and even when you get there they might not have what you want. There's no simple solution, you just have to stay awake and do the best you can. Good luck getting the stuff you want! B)

36 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

I feel ya my brother but it's the cost of doing bidness and sometimes you just gotta suck it up.  Sometimes you can catch a good deal with free or low shipping on eBay. Sometimes the online hobby vendors will have sales or specials or throw in free shipping over a certain order $ amount. And then you gotta figure what a 70-mile round trip to your HL costs you in gas and your time/inconvenience, and even when you get there they might not have what you want. There's no simple solution, you just have to stay awake and do the best you can. Good luck getting the stuff you want! B)

Yes, sometimes you can get free shipping, especially on ebay and if you are looking for a specific kit you are not likely to find it at HL. My doctors, large grocery outlets, and other places I need to go are in that same big city 35 miles away. I try to co-ordinate my trips so I can get several things done in one trip. That saves on the gas, etc. 

Speaking of deals...right now HobbyLinc has the Lindberg 1/16 scale "Serpent" Show Rod on clearance for $19.69.  Also the MPC Tiger Shark for $11.99 and the Round 2 Ford T Racing Car body "Parts Pack" for $7.39. They had the Ford Louisville Short Hauler listed for $19.99 but it's showing as "Currently Unavailable."  I have no connection to HobbyLink, other than spending money with them.

Plastic Models Clearance Items (hobbylinc.com)

• Thanks 1

Shipping is killing a lot of small biz. Wonder why a model I bought from the Ukraine, large military kit, delivered in 7 days with signature confirmation cost the seller the equivalent of $11USD???   I can't send a standard car kit to my buddy for that!! Says something about the MASSIVE cost that the USPS must pay for things that have nothing to so with moving mail. 

• Like 1

I had to go to Wal-Mart today anyway.  No plastic models at all, and only a few diecasts.  I think only 1 diecast on the shelf was in 1/24 scale.  Lots of empty space on the shelves, so maybe they're about to restock.

The last time somebody spotted model kits in a Wal-Mart was around Christmas, IIRC.  But this store didn't get any kits then, either.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/29/2021 at 8:44 AM, MrMiles said:

i hope walmart starts to sell models again. im so tired of paying top dollar and then shipping too.   even places that have discounted prices become high once the 10+ dollars for shipping comes in. 

hobby lobby is the only store in my area (within 45 minutes) that sells car models, but they are so rarely updated. its like i can go 1 time per 6 months or so. 

The models my Walmart has at Christmas was all mostly the stuff Hobby Lobby carries all the time with a few exceptions..

On 8/5/2021 at 5:00 PM, Mike999 said:

I had to go to Wal-Mart today anyway.  No plastic models at all, and only a few diecasts.  I think only 1 diecast on the shelf was in 1/24 scale.  Lots of empty space on the shelves, so maybe they're about to restock.

The last time somebody spotted model kits in a Wal-Mart was around Christmas, IIRC.  But this store didn't get any kits then, either.

Mike they may be getting ready to re zone and move stuff around for new stock. Be sure to check clearance isles.my wife said there working on that also. They are moving some toys to the garden center as it sells down..

Edited by slusher
  • Like 1

On 7/29/2021 at 4:05 PM, Dave Van said:

Shipping is killing a lot of small biz. Wonder why a model I bought from the Ukraine, large military kit, delivered in 7 days with signature confirmation cost the seller the equivalent of $11USD???   I can't send a standard car kit to my buddy for that!! Says something about the MASSIVE cost that the USPS must pay for things that have nothing to so with moving mail. 

I get model kits from Japan/Hong Kong to Canada for about $15 US. I just ordered a set of decals from the US and it cost me, $15US to Canada....shipping times, faster from the Far East.....go figure. 

I reached out through their website and it says they will contact you within 24 hours.......holy cow they really did!  They asked for more info on the type of model and I sent the pic of the shipper, the bar code of models that are shown in the pic.  That was over a week ago......

Crickets chirping Memes