Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT 1966 Buick Wildcat

AMT68

4 hours ago, crazyjim said:

Very nice.  Sure wouldn't lose it in a parking lot.

Thanks Jim. 

4 hours ago, John Goschke said:

Very pretty! Clean job assembling and finishing this venerable kit. Nice detail painting, too!  I've been fortunate to have owned two '66 Wildcats and can attest that they are fabulous cars!

Thanks John. Though basic it is a fun build. 

They were great looking cars but I rarely see them at car shows. 

6 hours ago, olddude55 said:

Oh, man is that sweet!  I've got that kit in my hoard, just waiting for me to make up my mind on a color.

Thanks George and good luck with your build. 

5 hours ago, PappyD340 said:

Very nice!

Thank you Larry.

9 hours ago, Beamerman said:

It´s simply perfekt. Love to see that AMT Kit build so nice and clean...great work

Thank you Beamerman, I'm satisfied with the results but it's not quite perfect.  Definitely some room for improvement. 

5 hours ago, doorsovdoon said:

Very nice colour on a stunning looking build. I built one not long ago and it's a great looking car for the shelf. Nice work, I like the white interior too.

Thanks Gareth. I've built a few of these and enjoy these simpler promo style kits especially after a more involved build. 

On 8/2/2021 at 11:09 AM, AMT68 said:

2006 reissue of the 1/25 scale 1966 Buick Wildcat painted in Tamiya TS-39 Mica Red and cleared in Testors Wet Look Clear. Used embossing powder for the carpets and brushed Pledge Revive It on the seats. There was a good deal of orange peel in the clear which required over two hours of wet sanding. I managed to remove the majority of it with just a slight burn through on the top of front fender that's only noticeable from  a certain angle. A simple kit with a not so simple finishing process....lol. 

DSC_1697 (1) - Copy.JPG

DSC_1698 - Copy.JPG

DSC_1712 - Copy.JPG

DSC_1745 - Copy.JPG

DSC_1740 - Copy.JPG

DSC_1753 - Copy.JPG

The burn through is an easy fix. Spray some of the TS-39 into a cap or a jar. Then take a small brush and cover the burned through area. The color will blend very well . I've done this on an AMT Mitsubishi with this very color and I know where the repairs are but anyone who didn't know would have to look very closely to see them.

43 minutes ago, RAMBENNA said:

wow beautiful job, fabulous paint work

Thank you Cliff.

34 minutes ago, ZTony8 said:

The burn through is an easy fix. Spray some of the TS-39 into a cap or a jar. Then take a small brush and cover the burned through area. The color will blend very well . I've done this on an AMT Mitsubishi with this very color and I know where the repairs are but anyone who didn't know would have to look very closely to see them.

Well thanks for the tip I'll give it a shot. And it really wouldn't be noticeable especially with all of the bright foil on the sides of this one. 

• 3 months later...