Model Cars Magazine Forum

Reel-to-Reel

afx

Tape made by Bell & Howell? Funny thing is that after they went out of business (along with many other American companies) the Bell & Howell name has been bought by some Chinese entity, which now uses the name (as they tout now "quality product name that has been trusted for years" ) to sell cheap stuff in TV ads

Used to have a couple old reel-to-reel units (V-M and Akai) and picked up tapes from estate sales and thrift stores. One almost great find I made was audio of a Hanna-Barbera sales meeting introducing Top Cat to potential sponsors; unfortunately the tape had been affected by a magnet (bulk eraser?) and only every fourth word was audible :(

What I really wanted was a TEAC Syncaset that would let me record two separate tracks (overdubs) on a cassette; wanted to do some audio montages. Way too expensive for me.

teac.jpg.1e061f9e81e356495f3566b0f3fb746e.jpg

Now I have SoundForge for that...

Edited by ChrisBcritter

Stumbled onto this reproduction reel and storage box of The Wall so....

Image 01 -  Fan Art Box & Reel to Reel 7 1/2 IPS 4-trk - EMPTY reel to reel  NO TAPE

I made a recording using the best blank stock I own and will transfer the tape to the reproduction reel when it arrives. Now I will have a great R2R recording of The Wall for a small fraction of what a pre-recoded copy would set me back.

Just finished listen to my recording and I must say it sounds d___ good!

Image 1 - scotch 207 Reel To Reel 7inch Sealed

Edited by afx
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, afx said:

Stumbled onto this reproduction reel and storage box of The Wall so....

Image 01 -  Fan Art Box & Reel to Reel 7 1/2 IPS 4-trk - EMPTY reel to reel  NO TAPE

I made a recording using the best blank stock I own and will transfer the tape to the reproduction reel when it arrives. Now I will have a great R2R recording of The Wall for a small fraction of what a pre-recoded copy would set me back.

Just finished listen to my recording and I must say it sounds d___ good!

Image 1 - scotch 207 Reel To Reel 7inch Sealed

JC, did you check out that link to Discogs I posted? 

My father was an audio guy. He always had the best equipment and took care of it. When he upgraded something, he put the used unit back in the original box.  I have all his equipment tucked away.  

My younger daughter’s fiancé is a vinyl guy. And a very nice sentimental kinda guy.  Once they get settled into a house, I may have found a home for some of the equipment.

9 hours ago, Tom Geiger said:

My father was an audio guy. He always had the best equipment and took care of it. When he upgraded something, he put the used unit back in the original box.  I have all his equipment tucked away.  

My younger daughter’s fiancé is a vinyl guy. And a very nice sentimental kinda guy.  Once they get settled into a house, I may have found a home for some of the equipment.

Vintage gear is an interesting subset of the Audiophile community.  He's a lucky guy to have a future father-in-law like you.

22 hours ago, afx said:

I did check it out Steve.  Prices seem a little higher than ebay but I will keep an eye on it.

Most of the selling community there are guys selling out of their home or very small shop. I bet you could dicker with a lot of them. The guy I buy cassettes from does.

• 2 months later...

I have an Ampex 4 track recorder floating around somewhere.

Used it in the late 60's with a band I was in and again in the 80's when I was doing occasional session work and filling in with oldie rock and country bands in the area.

Later in the late 1990's and early to mid 2000's my sons used it with their band. They would record in my son's garage and later one of the guys would transfer it to digital.

On 1/29/2022 at 11:37 AM, OldTrucker said:

I have an Ampex 4 track recorder floating around somewhere.

Used it in the late 60's with a band I was in and again in the 80's when I was doing occasional session work and filling in with oldie rock and country bands in the area.

Later in the late 1990's and early to mid 2000's my sons used it with their band. They would record in my son's garage and later one of the guys would transfer it to digital.

You should dig it out and enjoy it.

• 4 weeks later...
40 minutes ago, JollySipper said:

Which album is that, JC man? I don't recognize the cover.......

Have you got the Jethro Tull acoustic album? It has all of their more "unplugged" sounding songs...... Fat Man, Life's a Long Song, etc.....

Minstrel In The Gallery by Jethro Tull. :)

At some point, all of my dad's old gear will be making it's way over and join to my set up. He was a big audiophile and has a lot of gear. I can't remember the brand, but he has a reel-to-reel. The only thing I remember listening to on it is a live Pink Floyd recording. Not sure if he dubbed it from somewhere, or if it was an official release. 

I have many fond memories of cassettes, and still have all of my cassettes from back in the day, and still have my deck set up, but that is a format that should never be resurrected. Poor sound, inconvenient format. 

49 minutes ago, JollySipper said:

Which album is that, JC man? I don't recognize the cover.......

Have you got the Jethro Tull acoustic album? It has all of their more "unplugged" sounding songs...... Fat Man, Life's a Long Song, etc.....

Assume you mean this one TJ - I have it on vinyl.

REDUCED! RARE JETHRO TULL 2XLP "A Little Light Music" Euro (ONLY) Vinyl  1992 ...$65 For Sale - US Audio Mart

Edited by afx

4 minutes ago, iamsuperdan said:

At some point, all of my dad's old gear will be making it's way over and join to my set up. He was a big audiophile and has a lot of gear. I can't remember the brand, but he has a reel-to-reel. The only thing I remember listening to on it is a live Pink Floyd recording. Not sure if he dubbed it from somewhere, or if it was an official release. 

I have many fond memories of cassettes, and still have all of my cassettes from back in the day, and still have my deck set up, but that is a format that should never be resurrected. Poor sound, inconvenient format. 

The kids are all into cassettes now.  My college aged son has my deck setup in his system.

• Like 1