Model Cars Magazine Forum

'30 Ford Model A Coupe

mrmike

Saturday mid-afternoon, I decided to take a trip down to Hobby Emporium, my local hobby shop.  I looked around and spotted the re-issued Revell '30 Model A sitting on the shelf.  I just had to get it and with four kits on the shelf, this kit came home with me.  The box art really grabbed me and the light blue '30 Model A was the car I had to build!  Once I got home, I opened the kit and was amazed at the beautiful molding of the kit and I had to rummage through the paint can drawers for a can of light blue.  Tamiya TS-23 Light Blue is a close match to this box art and the last time I used this paint was on the Revell Ford Bronco a few years ago.  I was told that the entire run of Revell '30 Model A kits at Hobby Emporium was sold out by 5:00 PM which makes this a popular kit!

30A01.JPG

30A02.JPG

30A03.JPG

Edited by mrmike
  • Like 1

Thanks John!  I have been playing around with this kit and I started to assemble the engine and the instructions say to assemble the body and then insert the seat into the upper body top.  It doesn't fit!  You have to insert the seat before assembling the upper body top!

• Like 1

This kit is very popular!  I just finished assembling the basic engine in preparation for paint and I drilled holes in the cylindar heads for plug wires.  Now, a member of my Model Club wants to have a Club Challenge for our next show in October 2022 with this model kit.  Club Challenge usually involves building box stock and I've already drilled mine for plug wires!  I may have to get another kit or change the rules for the Club Challenge.

19 hours ago, mrmike said:

Thanks John!  I have been playing around with this kit and I started to assemble the engine and the instructions say to assemble the body and then insert the seat into the upper body top.  It doesn't fit!  You have to insert the seat before assembling the upper body top!

So Michael, is the body two piece like the older kits were?

The body is two pieces, a top and the lower body.  Older kits?  Which older kits?  You will have to be more specific.  I usually build muscle cars and pickup trucks and a model of something this old is new territory for me and I have only a couple of those models on the shelf.

22 minutes ago, mrmike said:

The body is two pieces, a top and the lower body.  Older kits?  Which older kits?  You will have to be more specific.  I usually build muscle cars and pickup trucks and a model of something this old is new territory for me and I have only a couple of those models on the shelf.

I believe this kit was two piece.  

1930 Model A.jpg

9 minutes ago, Mr. Metallic said:

Everything in the new issue is carried over from the first issue (pictured here) except they swapped the SBC out for the Nailhead originally seen in the first issue 29 roadster, and the Halibrands have been deleted. 

Yup....and correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't it a 2 piece body.  

Definitely following this one, Mike ol friend! :D 

I've picked up 3 of these over the last couple weeks counting the one that I had pre-ordered at Model Roundup, and my local Hobbytown is getting weekly calls (the day the truck runs ;) ) to see if they get more (there's at least 4 different versions that I want ot build, LOL).

Thanks Chris, Rodney, Stephen and Tom!

The '30 Model A has been washed and is drying.  The engine is partially assembled and awaiting primer and paint.  I added the decals to the tires and with a little setting solution, they came out perfectly!

More Model A to come...

30A04.JPG

30A05.JPG

30A06.JPG

• Like 1