Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell 2022

dbostream

2 hours ago, Luc Janssens said:

There's more...

https://www.bastlerzentrale-giessen.de/plastik-modellbau/revell-neuheiten-nk/page-4.html

like the '70 Torino Cobra wich is making a comeback, which is great cuz the new release will have the corrected body the GT got with it's non Pro-Modeler re-release .

Good news - that one is also long overdue for a reissue.

7 hours ago, Phirewriter said:

A couple more photos...

7 hours ago, Phirewriter said:

Ed Sexton was at the Milwaukee NNL today with a number of test shots for upcoming releases. The Camaro's have great decal sheets for multiple paint versions. 

IMG_20220409_161720373.jpg

IMG_20220409_161727443.jpg

Looking at the final box art and the partial view of the instructions (above the 1985 Camaro), the 2nd gen Camaro is definitely the Revell 1981 1/25 kit, NOT the Monogram 1/24 1979 3-in-1 glue kit, as had been speculated.

You can clearly see the assembly of the 2-piece plastic tires in the instruction sheet.  Strange that there's no mention that it is a snap kit.

It IS nice for a snap kit that was tooled over 40 years ago, but if they're marketing it as a full detail kit, a lot of people are going to feel like they got a bait and switch when they open the box.

Decals do look outstanding, though.  And it will be the only game in town if you want an '81.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Mr mopar said:

The only nitpick I have about the '71 Olds is the exhaust tips are wrong ,they should be flared at the ends !

Noticed that rear bumper too.  Looks like the tips are molded in, ala the old Johans.

Wondering what will really be in the box vs. this mockup.  The '72 convertible kit had separate metal exhaust tips (also not flared or even slash cut).

Curious if this was really changed for cost savings, or maybe its just something on the mockup that doesn't really represent the final product?

Edited by Robberbaron

36 minutes ago, Robberbaron said:

Looking at the final box art and the partial view of the instructions (above the 1985 Camaro), the 2nd gen Camaro is definitely the Revell 1981 1/25 kit, NOT the Monogram 1/24 1979 3-in-1 glue kit, as had been speculated.

You can clearly see the assembly of the 2-piece plastic tires in the instruction sheet.  Strange that there's no mention that it is a snap kit.

It IS nice for a snap kit that was tooled over 40 years ago, but if they're marketing it as a full detail kit, a lot of people are going to feel like they got a bait and switch when they open the box.

Decals do look outstanding, though.  And it will be the only game in town if you want an '81.

And the '85 Z/28 is the old Monogram Snap-Tite kit, last reissued in 2012.    Decent kit IIRC.. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Fat Brian said:

The 39 Chevy might have the supercharger parts to go on the 66 Chevelle too, the engines in those kits are pretty similar.

Both are Monogram 1/24 scale Mark IV engines -- should be a direct fit. 

Good observation and good call on that! 

I watched HPI Guy's review and build of the ancient Monogram 1966 Chevelle (Chris' choice for colours was perfect). Apparently the tooling is a good condition; I didn't even notice the wonky roof ('bowed' top edge of windscreen and roof), at least on his example.

10 minutes ago, 1972coronet said:

Anyone know if it's got the TH-400 or the 4-speed? Both?  

It contains both (or at least did in previous versions) with the correct BOP pattern, too.

1 hour ago, Robberbaron said:

Unless I missed it, the scale isn't on the box, either...nor the decal sheet. That decal sheet is amazing, and will sell a few kits on its own, which is maybe part of the reason Revell didn't feel terrible releasing the old 1/25 Revell Snap-Together kit again.

The '85 Camaro Z/28 (great to see that one return with the multi-color decal options, thanks, Mike) was also originally a snap together kit, but with Revell's 5-step rating system, would fir right it at level 3 or so.

Many good reissue choices by Revell in this go 'round. 🙂

• Like 1

On 4/10/2022 at 9:16 AM, Casey said:

It contains both (or at least did in previous versions) with the correct BOP pattern, too.

Unless I missed it, the scale isn't on the box, either...nor the decal sheet. That decal sheet is amazing, and will sell a few kits on its own, which is maybe part of the reason Revell didn't feel terrible releasing the old 1/25 Revell Snap-Together kit again.

Bottom right corner of the box art.

FYI, those big round silver decals will be for the headlights, which are molded into the front fascia.  (Same for the taillights).

At least they're making their best attempt to rectify some of the shortcomings.

IMG_20220409_161720373.jpg.62528ba6a4ca9daabddd70f4c52537e6.jpg

Edited by Robberbaron

19 minutes ago, Luc Janssens said:

Wonder if the Trans Am GTA, is the turbo kit as last seen in the High Performance Series?

Revell 1987 Pontiac Firebird GTA
1987 Pontiac Firebird GTA

Art.Nr. 14535

Have a weak spot for this gen T/A's.

IIRC, all GTA Firebirds are Buick 231/3.8 litre turbo powered.

51 minutes ago, Casey said:

[Revell's Oldsmobile 4-4-2] contains both (or at least did in previous versions) with the correct BOP pattern, too.

That'd be awesome! Worth the price of admission alone, esp. with the B-O-P  mounting pattern TH-400.

28 minutes ago, Luc Janssens said:

Wonder if the Trans Am GTA, is the turbo kit as last seen in the High Performance Series?

Revell 1987 Pontiac Firebird GTA
1987 Pontiac Firebird GTA

Art.Nr. 14535

Have a weak spot for this gen T/A's.

It's this one.

revell-87-firebird-gta-16-scale_1_ec8bc99149f43bc3c1cad3631ce3fe12.jpg

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, 1972coronet said:

IIRC, all GTA Firebirds are Buick 231/3.8 litre turbo powered.

No, Only the '89 Indy pace car edition had that engine and it was a "Turbo TransAm", not a GTA . All GTAs are fuel injected small block V8s.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Can-Con said:

No, Only the '89 Indy pace car edition had that engine and it was a "Turbo TransAm", not a GTA . All GTAs are fuel injected small block V8s.

Thanks for the correction. IIRC, the GTA was the Pontiac take of the IROC Camaro, come to think of it... TPI induction 350 (vs. the more common 305). 

43 minutes ago, Chuck Kourouklis said:

Without knowing for certain, I'd tip in Terry's 1/16 direction simply based on the price.

32 minutes ago, Luc Janssens said:

Good detective work, cuz I didn't look into that.

OK. I'll buy that but I don't see anywhere that anyone posted a price.

Machine translated from the German:

The Revell model kit of the 1987 Pontiac Firebird GTA is a 1:16 scale replica and consists of 120 parts. It is a level 5 kit suitable for ages 13+ for both children and adults. The doors and bonnet open and the car has a 350ci V8 engine with fuel injection. The wheels are steerable and it has replica aluminum-look alloy wheels. It also has dual exhausts and a detailed chassis. The interior is also detailed, as is the T-top!

From what I can recall from reviews in Scale Auto Enthusiast in c.1987, those 1/16 GTA and its relative IROC-Z were slightly-chided. Ostensibly, the updates (from their c.1982 origins) were so-so (e.g., not completely accurate).

I've never had a copy of either, so I can't attest to any faults. A friend had the IROC-Z version (moulded in red and black, IIRC) but the 1987 earthquake destroyed it before he had a chance to start building it.

• Xingu locked this topic