Model Cars Magazine Forum

'32 Ford B400 (formerly TRICKY VICKY)

mrm

Just a tiny update here. Now there are officially two B400s being build. The second one received the affectionate name "The Stepchild". 

The frame from the Wagonrod continued to get butchered and donated its rear airbag mounts.

KRQ8sS.jpg

Which were successfully transplanted on the B400's frame.

IdERa9.jpg

I always liked Deuces with the front spreader bar V'd. I am actually surprised that no model ever offered it. So I made my own from round styrene rod.

fAfufe.jpg

It gives the front even lower look.

qjIYYE.jpg

"The Stepchild" is going to be all standard Revell '32 frame and suspension underneath. It may get aftermarket wheels and brakes, but that would be the extent of it. Also it will run full gas tank, aprons in the rear and bumpers. 

I hope they'll make a lovely pair. having them finished in the next ten days would definitely be a challenge.

h3zFQi.jpg

Stay tuned and thanks for looking. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Dennis Lacy said:

Two is (usually) better than one. Should make for a killer pair. Maybe the simpler one could be a bit of a Resto Rod with the flathead and wire wheels from the ‘32 Sedan…

Well, in this case is twice the trouble and twice the work. LOL

Now, about the Resto Rod idea, this project is going more in the direction of the B400 going the RestoRod route and "The Stepchild" staying smooth and modern. I am really itching to use some of the new 3D printed parts from Maple leaf modelworks that I got. I may actually go the Buick Nailhead route for the B400 and more or less Plain Jane SBF for the "Stepchild".

• Like 1

I was totally going for this awesome setup, but unfortunately this is not going to work out. The block hugging headers are really cool and somewhat a necessity for fully closed hoods. However, they interfere with the kit's engine mounts. This is normally not a big issue, which can easily be addressed, but I am pressed for time and simply do not what to deal with it. The other problem is, that once the headers are in place, they hit the side hoods. This is also manageable, but not at this stage, because I am not going to redo the entire frame, firewall and engine mounts. There are plenty of different ideas for cool Hot Rods I have that this great motor can find place in. So, back to the supped up SBC we go!

Still, great looking parts from Maple Leaf Modelworks.

8VUx4r.jpg

Edited by mrm
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, bisc63 said:

Can't wait to see what you do use that Buick motor in, it is NICE, I really love the look.

That's a can of worms I do not want to open yet, or here go all my current projects. LOL

11 hours ago, Dennis Lacy said:

I do believe this is the first time I’ve seen a picture of those Maple Leaf parts actually mocked up on an engine. They are all killer individually and look awesome as a set. That engine deserves to be uncovered whatever it ends up in. 

Like I told Rusty, I really don't even want to think about what it would go into, because it would make me start another never ending project, which is the exact opposite of what I am trying to achieve here. Altho a fenderless model A  Pick Up with no side hoods on a 32 frame sounds like a great recipient. I better stop now, because I think I have such a cab buried somewhere. 

11 hours ago, Spex84 said:

I think this is also the first time I've seen those parts all in one place--outside my workbench, that is :D Looking killer, Michael!

This is actually only two "items" that I ordered separately. The headers come in a set with shotgun ones and everything else comes together. I am having some hard time figuring out how the intake attaches to the heads tho. Do I need to file away the two tabs on each head from the kit? 

1 hour ago, David G. said:

Nice work on the spreader bar, it does make a big difference visually.

The engine is coming along nicely too.

David G.

Thank you David.

The spreader bar has been on my model to do list for ages. Funny thing is that I have never seen anyone do it to their model and it is a really simple to make It took me three tries, because I did not like the angle on the first one I made and then I cut the second one too short due to a brain fart. 

About the engine, the Nailhead is NOT going into the B400. 

Edited by mrm

• mrm changed the title to '32 Ford B400 (formerly TRICKY VICKY)
8 hours ago, mrm said:

This is actually only two "items" that I ordered separately. The headers come in a set with shotgun ones and everything else comes together. I am having some hard time figuring out how the intake attaches to the heads tho. Do I need to file away the two tabs on each head from the kit? 

In a word-- yes!  The intake was designed to fit the more prototypically accurate heads on the Revell Tony Nancy 22jr nailhead.  Shaving down the chunky tabs on the Revell '29/30 nailhead until the surface is flush with the mounting surface for the valve covers will get you most of the way there.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, slusher said:

I really that SBC  that’s a good choice for your build!

Thanks. I'll try to do the best I can with it. I think I can give it the character I am after. 

I realized that there was no way to complete this model the way I wanted it for the show this weekend. So all effort is being concentrated towards the "Stepchild". This model will be resumed after the show in order to do it proper justice. 

• 2 weeks later...

I look forward to you getting back to this one.

Something has always bugged me about the B400 body from Flntstone, but I could never put my finger on it. I think it's the way the top overhangs the sides of the upper body or something. I was also thinking about removing the top just as you have done. Glad to see that's the right route to go because yours is looking great.

4 minutes ago, Mr. Metallic said:

I look forward to you getting back to this one.

Something has always bugged me about the B400 body from Flntstone, but I could never put my finger on it. I think it's the way the top overhangs the sides of the upper body or something. I was also thinking about removing the top just as you have done. Glad to see that's the right route to go because yours is looking great.

Thank you Craig. I needed some break from Hot Rods, so I'll give this one a little rest until I finish my two Paganis. At least that is the plan, but we all know how that goes...LOL