Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/24 Revell '66 Malibu SS 2 'n 1

Casey

19 hours ago, bob terry said:

I get paranoid that my knife will slip

Hey, are you familiar with the old technique of cutting styrene along seam lines just by using sewing thread? You just pull thread back and forth through the plastic, pretty much like the blade of a coping saw, and friction does the rest. I remember reading about it YEARS ago in another magazine, and it was a fairly common technique then. Much less chance of blood-letting!

That Chevelle is outrageous! Nicely done.

1 hour ago, bisc63 said:

Hey, are you familiar with the old technique of cutting styrene along seam lines just by using sewing thread? You just pull thread back and forth through the plastic, pretty much like the blade of a coping saw, and friction does the rest. I remember reading about it YEARS ago in another magazine, and it was a fairly common technique then. Much less chance of blood-letting!

That Chevelle is outrageous! Nicely done.

Hmm, kinda like how to remove a broken windshield of a real car.

• Like 1

I saw Chris' (hpiguy's) build and decided this kit wasn't bad.  I like the wheels (agree the 5-slots WOULD be better), but the lower profile tires disappoint me.  I'd like the taller ones from the so-called "red" kit.  Does anyone know whether the rear wheels would fit the AMT Firestone Drag 500 slicks?  I have a few sets of those tires, so could use some on this kit.

50 minutes ago, BadJuju said:

Hmm - 2nd look the "red kit" tires are the same.  I'm thinking of these below, from Snake45's build, which may not be from the kit:

image.png.bb351845195a7ebe2b403547713aba27.png

I did a lot of diddling with wheels and tires on this build to get the "sit" I wanted. Pretty sure you're right that those aren't from the kit. 

Thanks, everyone!  If these are 15" wheels in 1/24, I know the AMT Firestones fit 16" wheels in 1/25, so maybe I could make it work.  These that Snake45 used might be Bluestreaks (without the blue streaks!) from a late 60's or early 70's fuel dragster or funny car?  Just a guess.

Edited by BadJuju

7 minutes ago, BadJuju said:

Thanks, everyone!  If these are 15" wheels in 1/24, I know the AMT Firestones fit 16" wheels in 1/25, so maybe I could make it work.  These that Snake45 used might be Bluestreaks (without the blue streaks!) from a late 60's or early 70's fuel dragster or funny car?  Just a guess.

The wheels and tires on Snakes car are from the Monogram 70 Chevelle kit.

Many years ago, I stretched a set of hollow tires over this kit's wheels. The fronts were the hollow Firestones from AMT and the rears were the MPC slicks. I'm sure there are other tires that will fit these wheels with a little work. I heat and stretch the Revell SCS'S over the Pegasus wheels all the time.

Personally, I'm going to build mine just like the old boxart. Black with the old flames and a red interior. This time, I won't have the problem of trying to cover the black styrene with the old nasty Testors gloss red paint! 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Plowboy said:

Many years ago, I stretched a set of hollow tires over this kit's wheels. The fronts were the hollow Firestones from AMT and the rears were the MPC slicks. I'm sure there are other tires that will fit these wheels with a little work. I heat and stretch the Revell SCS'S over the Pegasus wheels all the time.

Personally, I'm going to build mine just like the old boxart. Black with the old flames and a red interior. This time, I won't have the problem of trying to cover the black styrene with the old nasty Testors gloss red paint! 

I remember as a kid brushing Testors red over black and really it looked really bad..

• Haha 1

On 6/10/2022 at 7:13 PM, stavanzer said:

The ex-Monogram '70 Chevell "Heavy Chevy" kit is a great source of kit bashing parts. Engine, Wheels, Tires. 

As is the Monogram '64 GTO. Different wheels, stock chassis, two four barrels with chrome stacks, etc..

• 3 months later...

As a child of the 80s, I'm sad to say that I've never built this kit. Although I did find part of one in a box of parts I bought at a thrift shop. I think I reused the wheels on something,  but that's about it. I'd like to give this kit a try sometime. 

• Like 2