Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/24 Revell '66 Malibu SS 2 'n 1

Casey

On 3/16/2022 at 9:16 AM, Daddyfink said:

I don't know why there is so much hanky wringing over a 45 year old kit! They have only slight "Updated it" and kept pumping it out. Why would they change it now? 

Most of you forget they released this kit the same year they released the Camaro! LOL! Yeah, that Camaro! 

Boxart '69 Camaro Z/28 2220 Monogram

THAT is a great kit!!!!!!!

I bought many of them. Took the wheels out and tossed the rest!! 

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, stavanzer said:

And Chris shows the extremely Lame, Pseudo- 2'n'1 Version that Revell foisted on the public. Not Chris's fault. He does a good job with what he was given.

Foisted...does someone have you at gunpoint forcing you to buy this kit? Blink twice for "Yes"...

• Haha 2

On 12/30/2021 at 8:26 PM, Snake45 said:

I send up a special prayer for all those who will buy and subsequently attempt to actually build this wretched backbirth. ;)

Sharpen your skills 

On 12/30/2021 at 8:26 PM, Snake45 said:

I send up a special prayer for all those who will buy and subsequently attempt to actually build this wretched backbirth. ;)

I've built several of these and never had an issue building any of them.  If you need practice sharpening your skills then practice on one of these if they're so bad.  I definitely will be buying a few when they come out.  There's definitely a lot of great parts for kit bashing and I know everyone buys odd models that they don't like or build for that.  I 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Wow! If anyone thinks you can simply blow on a stack of model parts and expect it to fall together then maybe they shouldn't be in the hobby 🤣😂😆

Model building requires patience, understanding the subject, and most of all, imagination. With that formula you should be successful in building any kit no matter the design or complexity.

Complaining about it is just wasted energy that could be applied to getting it built... Just do the work in and get it done. Some of the most difficult kits have been the most rewarding to me because of the challenge. I got an idea, put your big boy pants on or just stick to the snap kits 😆🤣😂 Just kidding! Obviously l'm (not) poking the Bear! It's all in good fun, besides don't we have enough criticism in this world already?

• Like 1

My hope was that they'd have at least included the blower parts (THAT WERE ALREADY PART OF THE CHROME TREE), and maybe give us 2 set of wheels, which is pretty much the lowest bar to clear for a 2'n'1 kit. Even Maisto and Burago Diecasts usally give at least 2 sets of wheels.

6 hours ago, keyser said:

Wow. @Chevy Muscle has 1 post, 2 hours member, and lights up @Snake45Lol. Nice. 

Not the first time I've seen similar behavior by noobs lately, probably won't be the last.

Of course, a man who's justifiably confident in his own skills (or in himself), won't be drawn into immediately attacking others to establish his place in the pecking order.

He'll lead by example, posting his own exemplary work, and offer help and encouragement rather than general or veiled criticism of long-time members.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy
TYPO

7 hours ago, keyser said:

Wow. @Chevy Muscle has 1 post, 2 hours member, and lights up @Snake45Lol. Nice. 
He really needs to polish skills. 🤦🏻‍♂️

44 minutes ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Not the first time I've seen similar behavior by noobs lately, probably won't be the last.

Of course, a man who's justifiably confident in his own skills (or in himself), won't be drawn into immediately attacking others to establish his place in the pecking order.

He'll lead by example, posting his own exemplary work, and offer help and encouragement rather than general or veiled criticism of long-time members.

Kinda reminds me of that old movie from 2002, "The New Guy". [great movie, very funny]

If you want instant respect, find the baddest bull in the yard and take him out.  ,, only in the movie it didn't work because no one seen him do it or paid attention no matter how many times he tried. 🤣

I'm sure our "New Guy" will amaze us with his builds and ground breaking techniques. We're all going to learn a lot. 👨‍🎓

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, Chevy Muscle said:

Sharpen your skills 

I've built several of these and never had an issue building any of them.  If you need practice sharpening your skills then practice on one of these if they're so bad.  I definitely will be buying a few when they come out.  There's definitely a lot of great parts for kit bashing and I know everyone buys odd models that they don't like or build for that.  I 

Hey new guy. Snake is a terrific builder, master of the Snake-Fu and a respected member of this community, which you, to date, are not. If this is your behavior for your first post, please take the attitude elsewhere.

Edited by Jantrix
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 3/15/2022 at 4:47 PM, dodgefever said:

Aside from the different wheels, shifters and diff covers, the chrome sprues aren't identical if you look closely.  I wonder if the mould insert with the slot wheels remained the US when the tooling was shipped off to produce the black version?

I just saw on Scalemates that the "Street Rat" version was last available in 1995. Take it for what it's worth, but at least there were two reissues since it was originally released. So at least we know it wasn't a "once and done" version. 

Hopefully the insert still exists - be it Revell or Atlantis. 

• Like 1

On 5/23/2022 at 2:40 AM, bob terry said:

The tree that has the different seats and the different hood scoop is what I think is a clutch driven powerglide trans, a duplicate rear axle and the blower belt.

How about a pic or two of those sprues?!

• 2 weeks later...

I'll try to get some pics this weekend. Ya know, if you put this body next to the Lindberg 66, there is a HUGE difference between the two. The Revell 66 looks way, way bigger. So much bigger I am going to build the Lindberg in the Revell style. Tilt front clip, straight axle in front 4 link in the rear. I'll use some of the Revell parts, but not many.

• Thanks 1

On 4/14/2022 at 5:48 AM, Jantrix said:

Do we have any info on the kit aside from the photos circulating? Release date? Any kit changes? I'm finding them for sale already.

Revell Monogram - 1/24 66 Chevy Malibu SS 2N1 - 854520 - Active Powersports

I was never a big fan of the kit itself, but in my opinion the wheels are much more accurate for the late 70s/early 80s funny car kits from Revell than what comes in those kits.

23D96E87-6C36-43BC-8AE6-BA3D65D0C54C.jpeg

E5A9834E-B2A3-452E-AD8C-73EF2A2C7C2B.jpeg

7F3FC7BC-3003-467B-9D3A-A70EC1FBA245.jpeg

09046DB2-E93F-4C5F-AAFA-C2324553A587.jpeg

• Like 2

4 hours ago, bob terry said:

I'll try to get some pics this weekend. Ya know, if you put this body next to the Lindberg 66, there is a HUGE difference between the two. The Revell 66 looks way, way bigger. So much bigger I am going to build the Lindberg in the Revell style. Tilt front clip, straight axle in front 4 link in the rear. I'll use some of the Revell parts, but not many.

Yeah, Monogram wasn't shy about fudging proportions for visual impact, but quite a bit of the Chevelle body does accurately scale to 1/24. (took some measurements from a friend's '66) The Lindberg kit should make a much more believable rod, especially in the chassis. Never really understood Monogram's choice on that one... I for one look forward to seeing you take that on!

Yeah Rusty, Placing the two bodies side by side showed some similarities. But the differences were very apparent. Using the Lindberg kit to make this style of car will be no problem. The hardest part for me will be cutting the front clip. I take blood thinner medication and I get paranoid that my knife will slip. Here is a pic of the 67 Chevelle I built last year. I based it off a car that was at drag week in Cordova a few years ago.100_4946.JPG.b0f0a6778b0be2de49a2161e27ca813d.JPG 

• Like 2