Model Cars Magazine Forum

For beer drinkers only

Venom

16 hours ago, Dave Ambrose said:

Sierra's Hazy Little Thing

If you like that, you should (maybe you already have) try Toppling Goliath's Pseudo Psue. Not sure if gets distributed that far west from Decorah, Iowa, but the two beers are very similar, both excellent if you like hazy IPAs.

48595787417_f03adc0c48_h.jpg

11 minutes ago, Venom said:

^^^^Ive seen that one around here I think... gonna have to try it👍

Most of their beers are worth seeking out, but I steer clear of double and triple IPAs, so I've only sampled their Pompei, Intergalactic Warrior, etc.

I just found this locally (might've been released a few months ago, not currently on their 'site), and really liked it. I didn't think it was a tropical as advertised, which, is fine. 🙂. Probably much easier to find west of the Mississippi, hailing from San Diego. I've been very pleased with every Modern Times IPA I've tried, too:

sw1.thumb.jpg.5ec98d4a7bc0fff302b52189dfdfc1f5.jpg

sw2.thumb.jpg.3bb9746bc5e0b1d8f5a2829bc7661b13.jpg

Edited by Casey

Looks like you Americans are catching on at long last to making good craft beers from micro brewers.    A number of years ago it appeared to be just Bud, Coors, Miller and Schlitz that seemed to be on offer.

Over here within the UK and Eire we have many well established regional brewers, but also quite a number of micro breweries are coming on stream too. I don't have a specific favourite as I like to try out different beers. Belgium is also renowned for their quality beers as well as Germany.

I also have a penchant for a good Single Malt Scotch Whisky. Cardhu is one of my favourites as a smooth whisky, and Laphroaig if I fancy a more full on smoky, peaty flavour. To be sipped and savoured not tipped down one's throat!

Edited by Bugatti Fan
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, Bugatti Fan said:

I also have a penchant for a good Single Malt Scotch Whisky. Cardhu is one of my favourites as a smooth whisky, and Laphroaig if I fancy a more full on smoky, peaty flavour. To be sipped and savoured not tipped down one's throat!

NEVER just throw one down one's throat!  What a waste of taste!  I like a good bourbon...Cheers!

There are a number of beers I enjoy from my local brewer Great Lakes Brewing Company in Cleveland. Used to go there and hang out to sample the beer and grub in the before-covid time.  

I remember enjoying the brew pub scene when I lived in Colorado, lots of excellent beers from Front Range brewers like New Belgium's Fat Tire,  Oskar Blues 'Old Chub' (A Scottish (style?) strong ale--interesting taste).  My company hangout in the '00s for years was The Bull & Bush, an authentic English pub that was torn down and rebuilt in Glendale, Colorado..right behind my office.  The office later moved to near where I lived, and I'd walk to a brewpub in the Denver Tech Center (that was new and fancy but didn't have the charm of the B&B).  

I always enjoy a good Hefeweizen in the fall.  And when in San Francisco, I enjoyed Anchor Steam. Had some good local beers when I lived in Phoenix also--in Tempe, I used to walk from my office over to Four Peaks Brewing Company for lunch or happy hour... 

I do miss pub culture...working from home is great in many ways, but I miss the social aspects of work and happy hours..

Edited by Rob Hall

21 minutes ago, Rob Hall said:

Oskar Blues 'Old Chub' (A Scottish strong ale--interesting taste).

Never heard of that in scotland, it might be a scottish recipe but its more likelly as scottish as mel gibson was in braveheart or an advertising slogan. You might like some of the brew dog beers though as they seem to be similar

If you guys want to trade model kits for single malt whiskys I'm up for that, lol. There are 2 whisky distillers, 2 gin distillers, 1 gin blender and one dark rum blender (its not very good, just cheap whisky blended with molasses) local to me, and I can get most up to 18yr old whiskys. After that they get real expensive. Personally I cant stand whisky but thats probably cos when we were little there was more chance of the shop having whisky than calpol so we got whisky when we were sick and it was rubbed on badies gums when they were teething. On a related note, heres ardbeg whisky's tractor

Ardbeg-Hot-Rod-Tractor-2c-1024x768.jpg

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Bugatti Fan said:

Looks like you Americans are catching on at long last to making good craft beers from micro brewers.    A number of years ago it appeared to be just Bud, Coors, Miller and Schlitz that seemed to be on offer.

Microbreweries have exploded over the last decade in the U.S. I forget the exact numbers, but where once there were less than 100, there are now thousands. Not a bad thing, as it's wonderful to have options, and there may never be another time like this where one person's specific tastes are catered to by multiple breweries. The experimentation and innovation microbrewers are able to pursue is something not really possible with large, corporate brewers, but both can exist and serve their customers.

21 hours ago, stitchdup said:

If you guys want to trade model kits for single malt whiskys I'm up for that, lol. There are 2 whisky distillers, 2 gin distillers, 1 gin blender and one dark rum blender (its not very good, just cheap whisky blended with molasses) local to me, and I can get most up to 18yr old whiskys. After that they get real expensive. Personally I cant stand whisky but thats probably cos when we were little there was more chance of the shop having whisky than calpol so we got whisky when we were sick and it was rubbed on badies gums when they were teething. On a related note, heres ardbeg whisky's tractor

Ardbeg-Hot-Rod-Tractor-2c-1024x768.jpg

Neat hot rod tractor!!

On 1/11/2022 at 4:06 PM, Rob Hall said:

….but I miss the social aspects of work and happy hours..

Boy. Ain’t that the truth.  I miss working. I mean real working with other people in the same place on meaningful projects.  Really. This is getting real tough. 

ps. I think I have one Edmund Fitzgerald left….

• Like 2

To those fans of Budweiser (The King of Beers?). Did you know that there is another Budweiser beer brewed in the Czech Republic? Same name but totally different beer and independent brewery. The regular US Bud that we all know is brewed under licence by one of the big breweries here in the UK, and probably in big breweries world wide. Craft beers have certainly made an impact in the US in both variety and quality.

How about cheeses? In the UK and Europe we have many different cheeses to tempt our palate. What is happening in the US? Does cheese making seem to be developing in the US? I got the impression that the only sort of cheese made on  your side of the pond was the Kraft type cheese squares used mainly in burgers. Hopefully I will be proved wrong!

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, Bugatti Fan said:

...How about cheeses? In the UK and Europe we have many different cheeses to tempt our palate. What is happening in the US? Does cheese making seem to be developing in the US? I got the impression that the only sort of cheese made on  your side of the pond was the Kraft type cheese squares used mainly in burgers. Hopefully I will be proved wrong!

No question that's the most popular among the "white bread" crowd...with flavor-and-texture-free white bread being the most popular as well. But lotsa stores have in-house bakeries where a nice assortment of "real" breads is available baked daily.

And there are cheese alternatives for those of us whose food preferences continued to develop after 5 years of age.

There are a few semi-mass-producers of cheese in the US that make a more sophisticated product, among them Cabot and Tillammook. And in truth, Kraft does actually make some "real" cheeses that are pretty decent. There are plenty of small mom-and-pop "boutique" cheese makers too.

Perhaps interestingly though...the hands-down best Swiss cheese I can get locally comes from Ireland...   ;)

Edited by Ace-Garageguy
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION
  • Like 1

There is a variety of cheese made here in Ohio..not sure how it compares to Wisconsin, but I've enjoyed the selection here.  Jams and jellies also are a big thing here. I've visited Grandpa's Cheese Barn a couple times, huge place of I-71 w/ a huge selection of Central Ohio cheeses and jams..good stuff.

15 minutes ago, Smoke Wagon said:

You don’t suppose we all eat nothing but hot dogs and shop exclusively at Walmart too, do you?

I had hot dogs yesterday. Egg salad sandwich for dinner too.  Even drank a hamms beer last night.  Going to Walmart later to get some fancy motor oil for the Audi.  

prime rib was a few weeks ago and with the new year rollin in I have had to cut back on my opulence. 😄

For a darker beer, I like a Edmund Fitzgerald Porter from Great Lakes Brewing

For an all around beer, my favorite is Sam ‘76. Great lager.

When Boston Beer made the Curious Traveler Shandy, they were great. Too bad they dropped that line. Haven’t found another shandy that I really like.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Smoke Wagon said:

You don’t suppose we all eat nothing but hot dogs and shop exclusively at Walmart too, do you?

That wouldn't be a stupid assumption.

Americans are approaching a 45% obesity rate, directly attributable to eating garbage food, too much, and "enjoying" sedentary lifestyles.

Overweight Americans constitute over 70% of the population.

Riley, it was very easy to pick out a part of my quote about cheese to give a very biased view.

Why not put it into context by quoting all of it?

I am aware that Americans generally are a bit more discerning about what they eat and where they shop, so please do not play on suggesting that I stereotype your fellow citizens.I

Incidentally, I do enjoy a Big Mac or a Hot Dog occasionally like most. If Wal-Mart was all over the UK, I would shop there too probably!

44 minutes ago, Bugatti Fan said:

Riley, it was very easy to pick out a part of my quote about cheese to give a very biased view.

Why not put it into context by quoting all of it?

I quoted your remark about American cheese because I found it funny. My comment was in good humor, I apologize for it not being easy to interpret. Diplomacy isn’t really part of my expertise. 

To answer your question, yes, we have actual cheese. Everything from processed plastic like Kraft to expensive small batch cheese and everything in between. I live a few hours’ drive away from the Tillamook cheese factory.