Model Cars Magazine Forum

The Hirohata Merc is going to be auctioned Saturday January 15, 2022. Check out 73 photos of what the car looks like now. It is going to be interesting to find out how much it goes for and where it ends up. I am going to record the auction coverage. It is on Discovery/Velocity in Canada and Motor Trend in USA. The auction can be also be viewed on-line. All cars being auctioned have a great set of photos which can be very helpful for model car builders.

1951 Hirohata Mercury Custom | S152 | Kissimmee 2022 (mecum.com)

• Like 2

Thanks for the link. The photos show that the car is, at this point, in as highly evolved, 50's-specific, a state of restoration as could ever be hoped for. The estimate of 1-1.25 million USD is extremely strong money for a rod or custom, regardless of provenance, historical significance or state of restoration. But this car certainly checks all the boxes in that regard! It will be interesting to see what it pulls down. Rods and customs can be "soft" in what they command and can surprise to the downside.* If it clears the estimate handsomely it will show that the rod & custom world is (at last) sharing in the current asset bubble. This car is a part of a surprisingly small number of cars that can do it!

*It should be noted that most purely custom built one-offs, regardless of style, perhaps because they should not be transported or driven with any frequency since they are irreplaceable, tend to under-perform small production models (i.e even limited productions racing cars, sports cars and classics). Another factor which may contribute to this under-performance may be that they are often unknown to the majority of the less-well-informed-but-wealthy buying public. Surely a car like the Hirohata should command more than a current limited-series produced modern super car, but I doubt it will.

The restoration of this car has been covered in a few magazines. Since the Monterey Concours has invited iconic Hot Rods and Kustoms to appear in the Concours they are finally being recognized for what they are and the history that goes with so many of them. The background on many of these cars are just as interesting and sometimes even more intriguing than the Classics shown on the grass at Monterey. 

The H.A.M.B. has an informal betting pool going on the final price -  winner gets a T-shirt.

I've put in for $1.325 million. Anyone else want to guess the top bid?

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/the-hirohata-mercury-price-take-a-guess-and-win-a-prize.1245254/

Edited by ChrisBcritter

While this car has lots of provenence I just dont see it breaking the million. Until it was displayed in dc a lot of people didn't really know what it was other than a nice looking custom. Its not been the star of a movie or had so many where is it programs like the bullit mustang. I think it will stall out around 750-800k but I'm no expert

A very attractive 1951 Merc traditional custom [pictured below] failed to reach reserve today with a high bid of $65000. It is a more recent custom and of course does not have the provenance of the Hirohata. The Hirohata was for sale privately for many months represented by Wayne Carini who I am sure approached all the likely buyers. At the auction on Saturday the Hirohata will have a reserve so it may not sell. If it does sell at or above the reserve, it will be big money. That being said, the family does want to sell the car. Wayne Carini is a wise and realistic man when it comes to car values so the reserve must be  an amount he feels is achievable with a hope of exceeding. I am guessing the reserve is between $500,00 and $750,000. It is going to be fascinating to see what happens.

1532405738_Screenshot2022-01-1315_24_32.png.2f8bf6b7d1034ec3e78aee62965491fa.png

On 1/10/2022 at 7:20 AM, stitchdup said:

While this car has lots of provenence I just dont see it breaking the million. Until it was displayed in dc a lot of people didn't really know what it was other than a nice looking custom. Its not been the star of a movie or had so many where is it programs like the bullit mustang. I think it will stall out around 750-800k but I'm no expert

Actually, it was in the Mamie Van Doren movie "Running Wild" in '55, not too long after it was built ,, but no one would ever remember that now.

On 1/13/2022 at 1:51 PM, 4mula1fan said:

A buddy of mine has had many run ins with Carini. His opinion of him is less than stellar...

I didn't attempt to speak with him, but I did literally cross paths with him on the grounds of a concours event in Newport, RI a decade ago or more.   🙂

On 1/13/2022 at 9:13 PM, Can-Con said:

Actually, it was in the Mamie Van Doren movie "Running Wild" in '55, not too long after it was built, but no one would ever remember that now.

Some of us old geezers do.

The Hirohata Merc appears at 3:21, to the LH side of the screen, after a chopped convertible Merc (that some interdwerb expert in the comments incorrectly identifies as the Hirohata car).

It appears again at 21:15, maybe more.

Muddy, squirming upload available free on glorious YouTube here:

Edited by Ace-Garageguy
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION