Model Cars Magazine Forum

Italeri 2022

dbostream

1 hour ago, BVC500 said:

I've got to ask, since you seem to like euro subjects like me. No offense to the builder here, just a picture I found on google of the Revell/Aoshima 230TE.  One can argue that the model captures the general appearance and the shape of the main body features...while getting every part and shape completely wrong and turning a handsome 1:1 vehicle into a caricature, such that no amount of kit bashing and scratch building will fix. Some might be satisfied with this, and some like me aren't.  I don't mind scratch building here and there, but without Mikhail Petrenko's CAD skills and a 3d printer to create a part or a new model from scratch, I'm left with not buying turds for subjects that I like, such as the w201 or w107 Mercedes. I grew up with a w124 300TE and would love a nice kit of one (ModelingMaster has w124s in the works). But I see the 500SLC (the 190e not to the same degree) fitting into the same category as the Revell/Aoshima 230TE. 

Now, ya'll will say "fine, then don't give them your money" and I certainly won't - its being saved for new and exciting Alpha Model kits. I saying that you shouldn't reward Italeri for regurgitating old, poor quality kits either. :) 

3274485136_2_8_7iPdFajT.jpg

Don't drag Aoshima down with that mess they just offered it as a reboxed kit once when they were doing a series of Euro kits (which also include the MGs). That monstrosity is 100% Revell Germany. 

1 hour ago, The Junkman said:

The Porsche 934 the old Heller kit?  BMW 320 Group 5 the old ESCI kit?  And with the classic Ferrari kits in their possession (275GTB, Daytona, California, etc) why not shake those loose?

For the same reason Revell doesn't do Ferraris anymore, the licensing has gotten prohibitively (in their opinion) expensive to pay for...it's incredibly hard to convince the bean counters to pay for something that will be a financial disaster if the kits don't sell exceptionally well.

10 hours ago, BVC500 said:

I've got to ask, since you seem to like euro subjects like me. No offense to the builder here, just a picture I found on google of the Revell/Aoshima 230TE.  One can argue that the model captures the general appearance and the shape of the main body features...while getting every part and shape completely wrong and turning a handsome 1:1 vehicle into a caricature, such that no amount of kit bashing and scratch building will fix. Some might be satisfied with this, and some like me aren't.  I don't mind scratch building here and there, but without Mikhail Petrenko's CAD skills and a 3d printer to create a part or a new model from scratch, I'm left with not buying turds for subjects that I like, such as the w201 or w107 Mercedes. I grew up with a w124 300TE and would love a nice kit of one (ModelingMaster has w124s in the works). But I see the 500SLC (the 190e not to the same degree) fitting into the same category as the Revell/Aoshima 230TE. 

Now, ya'll will say "fine, then don't give them your money" and I certainly won't - its being saved for new and exciting Alpha Model kits. I saying that you shouldn't reward Italeri for regurgitating old, poor quality kits either. :) 

3274485136_2_8_7iPdFajT.jpg

I’m not really familiar with the pictured kit, and I’ve certainly never seen one in person, so I really cannot comment or judge with conviction, and it’s an unfortunate angle, but something definitely looks way off about the body (looks a bit too narrow at first glance), and it does not necessarily fit into my “generally correct body proportions” criteria. Another Esci kit that does not qualify in my book is the Ferrari 250 SWB, which, despite a decent looking profile, has terribly misshaped nose, and it would take a top hollywood plastic surgeon to remedy that mess. These kits in question, however, are not up for rerelease, and the ones that are - the Volvo and 500 SLC (a 450 actually, since we’re nitpicking and discussing inaccuracies, but oh well) look decent enough to my eye, and I’ve held both in my hands. Sure, tires are wrong, interiors are bulky and squareish, engine bay on Merc underdetailed and somewhat incorrect, headlights do not fit well etc, etc… But with some time spent doing this hobby of ours, both can turn out quite nice in my opinion. 

Edited by PowerPlant

2 hours ago, PowerPlant said:

I’m not really familiar with the pictured kit, and I’ve certainly never seen one in person, so I really cannot comment or judge with conviction, and it’s an unfortunate angle, but something definitely looks way off about the body (looks a bit too narrow at first glance), and it does not necessarily fit into my “generally correct body proportions” criteria. Another Esci kit that does not qualify in my book is the Ferrari 250 SWB, which, despite a decent looking profile, has terribly misshaped nose, and it would take a top hollywood plastic surgeon to remedy that mess. These kits in question, however, are not up for rerelease, and the ones that are - the Volvo and 500 SLC (a 450 actually, since we’re nitpicking and discussing inaccuracies, but oh well) look decent enough to my eye, and I’ve held both in my hands. Sure, tires are wrong, interiors are bulky and squareish, engine bay on Merc underdetailed and somewhat incorrect, headlights do not fit well etc, etc… But with some time spent doing this hobby of ours, both can turn out quite nice in my opinion. 

About the Mercedes, I'm wondering which is better "body wise", the (ex) Esci or the Otaki kit?

Tis.

4 hours ago, peteski said:

Is the Italeri (misshapen?) MB 500 SLC the same as ESCI kit?

1291732-27767-29-pristine.jpg

I have couple of those (unbuilt) and I don't see any major problems with their bodies.

Yes, the Italeri is a reissue of the Esci kit you posted. The biggest issue with the kit are tires and somewhat underwhelming engine bay, but that is easily solved, and also find most everything else fine.

30 minutes ago, PowerPlant said:

Yes, the Italeri is a reissue of the Esci kit you posted. The biggest issue with the kit are tires and somewhat underwhelming engine bay, but that is easily solved, and also find most everything else fine.

So there are no issues with the general shape pf the body?  That confirms what I observed.

Sure it is not a Tamiya kit, but those shortcomings can be easily fixed.  Like you mentioned, it is easy to add engine details (or just build it curbside), and wheels are also easy to improve.  I bought a nice set of 3D printed "baroque" wheels from a seller in Ukraine, and I have some ideas on how to improve tires.  There are plenty of options available.   Yes, it is an older kit, but it really isn't bad.  I've seen much worse.  I have 3 of those kits, but I'm still glad it is getting released again (despite what some others here think about it).

5 hours ago, peteski said:

So there are no issues with the general shape pf the body?  That confirms what I observed.

Not as bad as the Revell 230TE, but to my eye, the 500SLC is, particularly the bottom half. The side skirts and rear quarter valence are too flat, the rear quarter valence too stubby, and the rockers are way too flat and prominent. Itty bitty side mirrors not in proportion to the real car. Proportions all wrong in the interior - oversized center console, itty bitty headrests, etc., a lot if it lacking any finesse.   I used to own the ESCI and sold it.

Edited by BVC500

5 hours ago, BVC500 said:

Not as bad as the Revell 230TE, but to my eye, the 500SLC is, particularly the bottom half. The side skirts and rear quarter valence are too flat, the rear quarter valence too stubby, and the rockers are way too flat and prominent. Itty bitty side mirrors not in proportion to the real car. Proportions all wrong in the interior - oversized center console, itty bitty headrests, etc., a lot if it lacking any finesse.   I used to own the ESCI and sold it.

Yes, that's true about the bottom half, but I guess I'm willing to live with that.  I'm willing to live with the center console. Seats (headrests) can be fixed.  As for the side mirrors, I'm thinking of using Mirrors from one of the Tamiya Mercedes kit and resin casting copies. Or just scratch-build them.  I really like that style Mercedes, and this is the only game in town.

2 hours ago, afx said:

Here is the Esci 500SLC in rally raid trim.  Not my work, I bought it as a built-up.

JC, that one you have looks nice, even with those strange tires.

• 1 year later...

Some older kits may leave a bit to be desired, but sometimes the only game in town. And new kits will be welcomed by some and not by others.

There is an old saying..

'You can please some of the people some of the time, but you cannot please all the people all of the time!'

• Like 1