Model Cars Magazine Forum

We’re gonna need a bigger boat! 1:8 32 ford roadster build. Update transmission!

Bullybeef

Well first off I have to say holy carp this thing is huuuuge. And I’m so stoked to have this kit. It will be a slow build as I want to do it justice, just having it open is overwhelming! 
I have not decided anything on this build at all, I’ve read as much source materiel as I can and so far the only decision I have made is that it will be channeled and it will have a flathead engine! The stock oob body is so shiny that I may not paint it unless I find a major flaw in it. Stay tuned as I attempt this build, and I blame Bill @Ace-Garageguyas the leading source of this madness I’m about to attempt, I’ve drooled (figuratively) over his 1:8 roadster build thread. 
wish me luck 

B451E92E-AA02-4A0D-95C5-6655A8237501.jpeg

5D5738D5-706A-4697-9DF4-1842DDF8396E.jpeg

24CA6A93-6549-40E4-8868-CFDE3364E6D5.jpeg

Edited by Bullybeef
Errrr
  • Like 1

Hey Bill, looks like you have your hands full! You are  braver than me, At this scale, I would get bogged down with details. The tires look really good , and seam to say streetrod to me. Good luck and enjoy!

Jerry

• Like 2

It’s easy to understand Jerry and Bills opinion on this. It’s a beautiful kit with so many options to detail but if you’re a stickler for detail, where do you stop. Dan’s inspiration is outstanding. Whichever way you go, good luck with it. I hope it gives you hours of satisfaction. 

• Like 2

Inspiration indeed. I have one of these as well, along with some other ones. I practiced on the Linberg Bobtail T and learned a lot. Now I need to finish up a few projects on the bench so I can build another one. I have a solid core, 36" wide house door as my bench top and need every bit of it for 1/8.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Most definitely liking where that ground-scraping mockup seems to be headed. Low is good.   :D

Your build has been a great wealth of information to me 

2 hours ago, chris chabre said:

I keep eyeballing my Big T since I now have a 6 carb set up and deuce front axle for it. I'll be following along 

break it open man

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Dan Hay said:

This is my favorite kit of all time. I have built several over the years. I've still got two of my builds in the collection, so here's some inspiration for ya! 

IMG_2947.jpg

IMG_2946.jpg

IMG_2945.jpg

IMG_2944.jpg

IMG_2943.jpg

I see that we have very similar tastes in hot rods, thank you for sharing! 

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, deuces wild said:

I have a bunch of these including a rare 1963 bright red version still in kit form... Gonna wait 4 more years before I break into that one... Plus I have some from the '05 or '06 release...

I’ve been scouring flea bay for some more parts kits, I’d like to build a second one someday 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Hey...thanks for the plug.   :D

Well I’m still patiently waiting for the next episode of a couple of your builds haha! I think the fist thing for me to tackle on this kit will be the frame Z and slight pinching to get it channeled properly! 

• Like 1

Well a bit of a less slammed to the ground mock up, frame is taped together at this point, waiting for a flathead engine and associated parts that I got in trade from another builder from facebook. That and a stock firewall, once those arrive I’ll be able to set the ride height a lot better. I’ve noticed that the plastic is slightly brittle so I’ll have to use some extra care with any cutting on the frame! The Z will start tomorrow! This is all I could manage tonight after getting home from work! 

12528ADC-283B-4FF6-B953-82FAFC10681E.jpeg

• Like 2

Getting the frame squared up to get it ready for the z cuts in the rear! Didn’t get as much bench time today as I had hoped. Question for Bill if you are online @Ace-Garageguy you mention in your build of the 1:8 that you leveled the frame. Would that be accomplished best by making the straightest lines of the frame parallel with the desk/bench surface? Seeing as how that is such a large build I’m going for as little error as possible before I start hacking away at the frame. 

0530BBDF-1867-4D8B-9DE9-3460580456BF.jpeg

10 hours ago, Bullybeef said:

Question for Bill if you are online @Ace-Garageguy you mention in your build of the 1:8 that you leveled the frame. Would that be accomplished best by making the straightest lines of the frame parallel with the desk/bench surface? 

I did pretty much as you appear to be doing in the photo, placed blocks or piles of washers under corners, and using a small, very light bubble level, fiddled everything until it was square.

9 hours ago, Bullybeef said:

...measure 60 billion times and make the cuts 

Exactly.   :D

Making the effort to get the frame dead on in these big scales is definitely worth the effort, as a little off at any point will bite you in the backside when you try to get the hood to fit the body and the radiator shell tightly...just like building a real one.

If I recall correctly, there are some slight symmetry issues with this body, and getting your frame square and level just eliminates one variable you'll have to deal with when you try to get all the body parts lined up nice.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bullybeef said:

@Ace-Garageguy patience is the key, I’ve learned the hard way enough. 

Yeah, if you care about the quality of the outcome, working carefully is almost always faster than rushing a job and ending up needing to do everything over again.

I've had a really hard time getting that point across to a number of employers and employees over the years.  B)

• Like 2

Well the hardest of the hard part is done, I’ll have to leave the centre k frame out for now til I get the engine (flathead) in the mail. I’m considering scratch building a Cad LaSalle gearbox to replace the ford box, so I’ll need to possibly make adjustments there, I’ll move on to the mocking of the suspension so I can check my ride height as it will be crucial to the final outcome. 

C04946E8-152A-4840-88F6-67F77C688A9E.jpeg

9AF7E44C-DD29-4B8C-B636-E025B29EA8F0.jpeg

• Bullybeef changed the title to We’re gonna need a bigger boat! 1:8 32 ford roadster build. Update transmission!