Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/32 Atlantis (ex-Monogram) Funny Car Kits

Casey

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
On 2/15/2022 at 1:04 AM, Casey said:

Kind of funny that the canard wings are present at all, as they didn't last long on the real cars.

Another image straight from Atlantis:

Screenshot_20220215-010012.png.febcec8f7a656ba92e28c83a7407f6a9.png

What’s the history on these “canard”/side wings? In the past I was not a funny car fan when, or if, these were used on the real cars. Times have changed. I am now interested in getting all 4 of the above kits. But, I’ve never seen these side wings on any cars before. 

On 7/8/2022 at 8:40 PM, unclescott58 said:

What’s the history on these “canard”/side wings? In the past I was not a funny car fan when, or if, these were used on the real cars. Times have changed. I am now interested in getting all 4 of the above kits. But, I’ve never seen these side wings on any cars before. 

Dragster where using to get some down force and the funny car guys decided to try them, but in the end, they where of little use and a pain when it came time to work on the cars. They also became a safety issue, clipping crewmen of flying off into the crowds.

RadiciWiseVegaRefs23.jpg

RadiciVega02s.jpg

Edited by Daddyfink

8 hours ago, Daddyfink said:

Dragster where using to get some down force and the funny car guys decided to try them, but in the end, they where of little use and a pain when it came time to work on the cars. They also became a safety issue, clipping crewmen of flying off into the crowds.

RadiciWiseVegaRefs23.jpg

RadiciVega02s.jpg

Thank you for the info. What year was this? And how long did it last?

14 hours ago, unclescott58 said:

Thank you for the info. What year was this? And how long did it last?

This was around 1971-1972 and it did not last that long. 

By the time Model Companies jumped on the fad, it was already gone from the scene. 

42 Scale Autos ideas | plastic model kits, model cars kits, model kit

11 hours ago, Daddyfink said:

This was around 1971-1972 and it did not last that long. 

By the time Model Companies jumped on the fad, it was already gone from the scene. 

42 Scale Autos ideas | plastic model kits, model cars kits, model kit

Did they appear on the cars up near the “C” pillar as seen on Monogram’s 1/32 scale funny car models? Just today I got Lou Hart’s new book in the mail, Early Funny Cars 1964-1975. I can see no photos of cars with that type of wing.

image.jpg

Edited by unclescott58

9 hours ago, unclescott58 said:

Did they appear on the cars up near the “C” pillar as seen on Monogram’s 1/32 scale funny car models? Just today I got Lou Hart’s new book in the mail, Early Funny Cars 1964-1975. I can see no photos of cars with that type of wing.

image.jpg

They where out there, not many images around, but they did it

Vintage Don Schumacher 'Cuda Stardust Funny Car Black and White 8x10 Photo

1973 Dodge Challenger, AA\FC-374 Blown Funny Car, D05_1088… | Flickr

On 7/13/2022 at 5:12 AM, Mr mopar said:

The Original one's came with a scoop out the front windshield and fire wall that's tin work . 

181AT27_Whiplash.jpg

181AT61_RipOff.jpg

Makes me wonder why they got rid of “the tin work”? And will it reappear in the reissues put out by Atlantis? It seems like a natural part of every funny car, real or model, that I remember. 

Edited by unclescott58

I built many of these years ago for my son. I'm getting up in years and my skills aren't what they used to be. These kits would be ideal for me to still be able to build a few models. It would ne awesome if Slixx could come up with some decals for these kits.

Atlantis sent out a email today that they are taking pre-orders on the announced 1/32 funny cars. I got my order in immediately, for the four. The Charger, Duster, Camaro, and Mustang. I hope more are going to appear shortly down the road. I remember these as being fun little builds. And I’m partially into this hobby because of the fun of it. 

Edited by unclescott58
  • Like 1