Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT 1960 3-in-1 Ford F-100 Pickup Truck

4 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

I based the statement on the fact that the same crossover-pipe part # (B5A-5267-B) that fits the pickups mentioned above is also listed as fitting "1955-'56 passenger cars with 272 and 292 V8 engines and single exhaust".

1955 part number ( B5A ... ) -- I wonder if that number was ever updated ( e.g. , B7A... ) ? 

I have an original-issue Revell 1956 F-100 (1962) . Its two engines have severe tyre-burn ( I'm not planning to use either anyhow, so no loss to me ) ; I'm not sure if that issue includes a single stock exhaust (but it does have a couple of neato surfboards ! )

The crossover first appeared on both truck & car versions in 1954, the first year of the Y-Block. 239 in Ford cars & trucks & 256 in the Mercury. The crossover was used anytime a single exhaust system was fitted. There are 2 main versions of single exahust exhaust manilfolds, early & late. The early ones are thinner(1954-1956) and the later ones(1957-64) are wider and actually don't flow too bad. The 50s era Lincoln/heavy truck 279 & 317 used a similar mounted crossover as well.

Heavy truck ram horn's exhaust will not fit on passenger cars as it interferes with the suspension. 

9 hours ago, 1972coronet said:

1955 part number ( B5A ... ) -- I wonder if that number was ever updated ( e.g. , B7A... ) ? 

I have an original-issue Revell 1956 F-100 (1962) . Its two engines have severe tyre-burn ( I'm not planning to use either anyhow, so no loss to me ) ; I'm not sure if that issue includes a single stock exhaust (but it does have a couple of neato surfboards ! )

All except the red stock-only issue have duals.  The original issue of yours is the only one with custom headliner detail, clear red taillights, and thin white line US Royal tires.  Unfortunately the last two items were bagged together...

• Thanks 1

On 10/16/2023 at 6:13 PM, SteveG said:

Right but the '53 oil bath air cleaner is similar in size and shape to the '60 292 oil bath air cleaner.  Not an exact match but passable.  I think one of the Moebius Ford Pickups has oil bath style air cleaner too.    

59 F100.png

That's an autolite 2100 carb and they are fairly easy to find in the mustang kits.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I was looking at the '57 (closest available) Ford truck brochure at the Old Car Manual Project, and the wheelbases were listed as 110" and 118" with either 6 1/2' or 8' beds, respectively. Looks like you would have to shorten the wheelbase and front of the bed 8mm, and the rear of the bed 10 mm, to get a correct 6 1/2' shortbed.

Edited by ChrisBcritter
  • Like 1

I used the AMT '53 Ford chassis for mine, and a '58 Ford cab conversion from Modelhaus. Fit perfectly, and you could d the same with the new '60 F100 which will now have a separate cab.

A.J.

3 hours ago, ChrisBcritter said:

I was looking at the '57 (closest available) Ford truck brochure at the Old Car Manual Project, and the wheelbases were listed as 110" and 118" with either 6 1/2' or 8' beds, respectively. Looks like you would have to shorten the wheelbase and front of the bed 8mm, and the rear of the bed 10 mm, to get a correct 6 1/2' shortbed.

The gauge panel has been painted wrong in that truck. Originally it was off white with chrome stars(unless it was a big truck then the tach, etc went here) and gauge rings were chrome as was the perimeter of the piece.

Not a big deal, but it sure cheapens the look the dash!

A16B4AB4-F18A-4825-98D0-E3DA36765C7D-762x456.jpeg

• Like 3

5 hours ago, RSchnell said:

The gauge panel has been painted wrong in that truck. Originally it was off white with chrome stars(unless it was a big truck then the tach, etc went here) and gauge rings were chrome as was the perimeter of the piece.

Looks like the chrome trim is missing from the gauge cluster in the green one.   Must have been painted over when it was repainted.

21 hours ago, RSchnell said:

I thought that there was something "wrong" with the dash of the 'restored' example, but I couldn't be sure what was 'missing'. The stock, correct dash and instrument panel looks 1,000 times better (no comment on the paint job of the green one ...) .

Funny how that trim / dash was considered 'barren' back then, when it looks downright delightful by today's standards.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Rob Hall said:

I like the '59 grille the most of the '57-60 models, though the hood fit is dreadful (it looks like they were made that way with the huge gap? All the pics I've found have a gap) 

image.jpg-4.webp

Probably the gap is to get your hands in there easily as I'm sure it's a heavy hood. 

As well, hood gaps like this were configured in part to assure proper airflow to/through the radiator.  Though apparently not the case here, they also were designed in some cases to prevent the two surfaces (bottom of hood, top of grille panel) to from hitting each other when the hood was shut by the driver (hood jounce).    TB   

On 12/6/2023 at 11:56 PM, RSchnell said:

I've seen enough pics on line to make me think this is more a difference between high and low-line cab trim than a wrong restoration attempt.

58frdtk.JPG.7beb031afee729cb55f27e708ec32218.JPG

...And here's another guy's personalized update...

P1275372_zpsiikpxtuq.jpg.c7c2f057e36b908ba7dc93e6d534e6b7.jpg

• Like 1

5 hours ago, mk11 said:

I've seen enough pics on line to make me think this is more a difference between high and low-line cab trim than a wrong restoration attempt.

58frdtk.JPG.7beb031afee729cb55f27e708ec32218.JPG

...And here's another guy's personalized update...

P1275372_zpsiikpxtuq.jpg.c7c2f057e36b908ba7dc93e6d534e6b7.jpg

I've had my hand in a few 1:1 squarecab Ford restos(& owned 2 myself) and every one I've ever seen had the white paint over a chrome panel. An NOS example a friend had years ago was the same way. Below is a photo of my unrestored '59 F-350 that I bought in 1997. Aside from the silver stripe on the dash, the rest of the dash is original paint, including the gauge bezel.

383918611_1239035774156308_5183243346830892286_n.jpg

Super low mileage unrestored original '60 Custom Cab. Stick next to gear shift lever is a parking brake lever ( F 350 thing) otherwise 100% indentical to a F 100 or F 250 2wd. The original AMT kit was done RIGHT! ( just wish the seat was separate). Dash panel is correct for Custom Cab. Standard Cab dash panel is all white for '60, no chrome accents.

30685689-1960-ford-f350-std.jpg

30685688-1960-ford-f350-thumb.jpg

Edited by leafsprings
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/9/2023 at 8:26 AM, leafsprings said:

Dash panel is correct for Custom Cab. Standard Cab dash panel is all white for '60, no chrome accents.

30685688-1960-ford-f350-thumb.jpg

The brochures agree with you... the chrome trimmed cluster was a custom cab upgrade. Looks like maybe the '57-'59 base models were grey/silver painted steel.

The chrome clusters installed in base model trucks are probably the result of someone haunting the wreckers looking for upgrade parts and scoring B)

lotsa parts can get changed in 60 years

60ftrk.jpg.69bb8c56b7f2c4fdfeb0708764d7b2aa.jpg

58ftrk.jpg

Edited by mk11