Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT 1960 3-in-1 Ford F-100 Pickup Truck

Here we are exactly one year to the day since this thread was started, and we're actually sitting here patiently awaiting the possibility of a formal announcement at the DAAM show in 10 days that this kit is coming back. Fingers crossed it is this kit, although Stevens letting it slip is a pretty good indicator that it is true. 

• Like 1

The question is if we get back the AMT '60 F 100, will it affect any future plans Moebius may or may not have had to do the whole '57-'60 series in multiple configurations? Glad the '60 is finally happening, but I'm still looking forward to a series with a separate cab. separate frame pieces with various grill designs.

Edited by leafsprings

4 hours ago, leafsprings said:

The question is if we get back the AMT '60 F 100, will it affect any future plans Moebius may or may not have had to do the whole '57-'60 series in multiple configurations? Glad the '60 is finally happening, but I'm still looking forward to a series with a separate cab. separate frame pieces with various grill designs.

While a good point about any Moebius plans to offer a '60 F100, there would be a big difference in the kits design. The reissue of the '60 F100 will be welcomed, but if Moebius were to offer their version it would be a far more detailed kit I'm sure. 

All I can say is be careful what you wish for <_<

If Round2 chooses to resurrect this one, they can certainly conjure multiple grills to extend the tool's versatility.

While some long for 37 piece chassis detail, I believe the sales of this appealingly designed kit will justify the wisdom in keeping it simple. Of course, there's always room for some improvements.

It's pretty much a proven fact that no one's going to match the accuracy of the original body.

• Like 2

On 3/18/2023 at 11:52 AM, mk11 said:

If Round2 chooses to resurrect this one, they can certainly conjure multiple grills to extend the tool's versatility.

I very much doubt that they will tool up new hoods, emblems and grills by their record of mainly reissues of original kits, IMO, it will be up to the aftermarket to take advantage of the opportunity. '58 standard cab and '58 custom cab

1958_ford_f-250_1568847368f98764daIMG_34131-e1570398629578.webp

58-Ford-F100-Custom-DV_14-RMH-01-800.jpg

Edited by leafsprings

I love the AMT 60 Ford kit and have three that I found for good prices on eBay. That being said, I'm looking forward to getting more from new or restored tooling. I'd also love to see Mobius do a more detailed version with a short bed and also a step bed.

A '59 grille and hood would be nice to see, better looking than the busier '60 grille, IMO.

One thing I noticed in searching for images of these trucks is the huge gaps between the grille and hood...made that way, apparently.

('59 in red & white, blue & white '60)

1959_Ford_F-100.jpg

1960-ford-f100-2.jpeg

• Like 1

18 hours ago, leafsprings said:

I very much doubt that they will tool up new hoods, emblems and grills by their record of mainly reissues of original kits, IMO, it will be up to the aftermarket to take advantage of the opportunity.

This won't be a reissue. This will be a clone tool similar to way they did the Nova wagon. But with the 57-58 having slightly different front fenders than the 59-60s (owing to parking light shape) I'm not really foreseeing too much in the way of different year variants either. But I could be wrong, and I hope I am.

Might be easier to fudge in scale than you think...

57f100grl.webp.a99ad4ab6e76f239d1b492048c0cc739.webp

59f100grl.jpg.d0076317bb3bb215462bb02a3e405c10.jpg

The fender wrap below the lights looks the same, with the 57/58 signal straddling the line at the lower valance.

Here's a pic I scared up of the F&F resin '57

57frdf100mdl.jpg.a8998729111bf12d67c6808e1e188733.jpg

Pics following found on line claim to be modelhaus conversions...

57f1mdh.jpg.5ed73ffeb04bee6a9cd64413b259436b.jpg

58f1mdh.jpg.7950e2759cc9f7303efbf132ebf57e9f.jpg

Edited by mk11
  • Like 2

On 3/19/2023 at 5:54 PM, mk11 said:

Might be easier to fudge in scale than you think...

57f100grl.webp.a99ad4ab6e76f239d1b492048c0cc739.webp

59f100grl.jpg.d0076317bb3bb215462bb02a3e405c10.jpg

The fender wrap below the lights looks the same, with the 57/58 signal straddling the line at the lower valance.

Here's a pic of the F&F resin '57

57frdf100mdl.jpg.a8998729111bf12d67c6808e1e188733.jpg

I owned a real 57. Neither the fenders nor the valance are the same. The 57s and 58s have a slightly flared out round opening to accommodate the round parking lamps. 

spacer.png

The 59-60 fenders have the parking lights inboard of the fenders.

spacer.png

• Like 1

Love that '57!  I get what you mean about the lower fender light contour but I just meant that in scale with a valance, lights and grill it's an easy up/back date. Good project for a guy with a 3D scanner and printer.

On 3/19/2023 at 12:45 PM, Dave Darby said:

This won't be a reissue. This will be a clone tool similar to way they did the Nova wagon. But with the 57-58 having slightly different front fenders than the 59-60s (owing to parking light shape) I'm not really foreseeing too much in the way of different year variants either. But I could be wrong, and I hope I am.

Anything is possible, depending on Round2's tooling archive. The '63 F100 is gone, which leads me to believe the new kit will have a re-tooled chassis and engine. It could be an original body and glass tool, and possibly the chrome tree. All speculation until Sunday, of course...

9 hours ago, 64Comet404 said:

Anything is possible, depending on Round2's tooling archive. The '63 F100 is gone, which leads me to believe the new kit will have a re-tooled chassis and engine. It could be an original body and glass tool, and possibly the chrome tree. All speculation until Sunday, of course...

Pretty sure the 60 tool is gone as well. 

On 3/24/2023 at 9:23 AM, Mr. Metallic said:

Is tomorrow the day we learn if this kit is officially coming back? I know I'll be checking in here and Spotlight throughout the day for DAAM show coverage

It's not a matter of official, it's already been confirmed by Steve as an upcoming item and that he'll have a prototype in Detroit on Sunday. The only questions would be the full details of what exactly to expect with the kit in terms of how close it is to the original, and how much is modern day tweaks to improve it.

8 hours ago, 64Comet404 said:

Until tomorrow, the only one on the board who is certain about tooling is Steve G., and he's not talking before the announcement.

For context, John G works for Round2, who manages the AMT brand:

JohnG says:

This is only a portion of the molds, but goes way beyond the latest catalog. Some tools were never sampled in this program. I can say without a doubt that the early 60’s Ford trucks are long gone, unfortunately.