Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT 76 Vega Funny Car

2 hours ago, bluestringer said:

Thanks Carl. That's a good idea, I'll see what I have that might work. 

A pie crust wouldnt have been used by that time frame. Everyone had gone to wrinkle wall slicks by 1970 or so. Cant wait to see what you do...If it were me (not that you asked haha) I see either a street freak, or an early pro street style build. Blower motor, stick shift,tall level stance (for a freak) or raked (for early pro street)

11 hours ago, chris chabre said:

A pie crust wouldnt have been used by that time frame. Everyone had gone to wrinkle wall slicks by 1970 or so. Cant wait to see what you do...If it were me (not that you asked haha) I see either a street freak, or an early pro street style build. Blower motor, stick shift,tall level stance (for a freak) or raked (for early pro street)

Yea, I don't have any that would work anyway. The slicks in the kit are pretty narrow, looks like I will have to shorten up the rear axle to get them further in. That may require some other modifications also. I'll work on it and see what I can come up with. 

Put some clear on the body, Revive It floor polish. Working on the chassis and man is this thing fiddley. It looks like I can remove a small section of axle housing on each side and get the slicks in a little further, but probably not tucked all the way under. 

_IGP0760.jpg

_IGP0761.jpg

_IGP0762.jpg

_IGP0763.jpg

Engine is ready except getting it wired, and the headers will go on after it's installed in the frame.  Some chassis pics, not through with it yet, it's been very fiddley. The rear housing is not attached, I will try to cut out a section on each side and move the wheels/tires inboard, but there's not much there to work with. 

_IGP0765.jpg

_IGP0767.jpg

_IGP0770.jpg

_IGP0771.jpg

14 hours ago, TransAmMike said:

Looking good there James.  I haven't tried the Createx transparent color yet.  Looks really good after the clearing.👌

Thanks Mike. This was my first time using the transparent colors. 

6 hours ago, slusher said:

I agree with Mike!

Thanks Carl. 

It's coming along nicely. Love the colour. I built one of these back in the day and it was one of my favourite models on the shelf at the time. I had forgotten how short that chassis is. I have one in my stash now, and been thinking of putting an AMX body on it.

On 4/5/2022 at 8:55 AM, Bainford said:

It's coming along nicely. Love the colour. I built one of these back in the day and it was one of my favourite models on the shelf at the time. I had forgotten how short that chassis is. I have one in my stash now, and been thinking of putting an AMX body on it.

Thank you.

Messed up the body. I forgot to glue on the front valance before I painted the body, so I painted it separate and tried gluing it on, I spilled glue all over the right front fender. I tried sanding and repainting the area but it didn't work out too good. Debating whether to put in the purple pond and start over or just let it be as is. Looks pretty bad.

8 hours ago, bluestringer said:

Messed up the body. I forgot to glue on the front valance before I painted the body, so I painted it separate and tried gluing it on, I spilled glue all over the right front fender. I tried sanding and repainting the area but it didn't work out too good. Debating whether to put in the purple pond and start over or just let it be as is. Looks pretty bad.

We all make mistakes.  Worst thing is you buy another kit and open the rear wheel quarter panels before you paint.   Sorry for your miss hap. I have ruined many bodies…