Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

Palmer 1965 Oldsmobile Starfire

rsmodels

I was asked to post some photos of my 65 Starfire. I just taped it together so you can see what it looks like. The wheels and tires are not the ones that came with it. I didn't want to mount the rims into the tires as the tires are rock hard and the rims won't go in easily.

I think the box art is the best part as is the case with many of Palmer's models but it isn't their worst effort and you can tell what it is. I know of no other 65 Starfire kit that was made. This is one you don't see often. Maybe you don't want to!

Thanks for looking!  Comments, good or bad , are welcome.   -Rich

DCFC0002.JPG

DCFC0008.JPG

DCFC0009.JPG

DCFC0010.JPG

DCFC0013 (2).JPG

DCFC0013 (3).JPG

DCFC0011.JPG

Yeeesss! Now the fun begins, look at what you don't like and start cooking, get out the razor saw and bondo, as far as the wheels go don't give up on them either I use a vice and an old towel, also detail paint the little indents of the chrome wheels and don't forget those fake knockoffs and dry transfer white walls, makes em pop! The roofline looks a little AMC Marlin-ish but I find going on line and finding a good picture of a 1:1 Starfire will help. Glad you at least took it out of the box, thanks. 

21 hours ago, cobraman said:

I never saw that one before.

21 hours ago, Maindrian Pace said:

Hey, you know I like it, and you know why!

8 hours ago, absmiami said:

A Palmer

A Palmer !!  !!!

8 hours ago, rrb124@sbcglobal.net said:

OMG, A Palmer!

Even as  little kids in the 50's, we all knew that they were horrible. It's really fun to see this. Lucky you to find one. They are like an old Cult movie.

Thanks for posting!

8 hours ago, rrb124@sbcglobal.net said:

OMG, A Palmer!

Even as  little kids in the 50's, we all knew that they were horrible. It's really fun to see this. Lucky you to find one. They are like an old Cult movie.

Thanks for posting!

7 hours ago, Kah puts said:

Yeeesss! Now the fun begins, look at what you don't like and start cooking, get out the razor saw and bondo, as far as the wheels go don't give up on them either I use a vice and an old towel, also detail paint the little indents of the chrome wheels and don't forget those fake knockoffs and dry transfer white walls, makes em pop! The roofline looks a little AMC Marlin-ish but I find going on line and finding a good picture of a 1:1 Starfire will help. Glad you at least took it out of the box, thanks. 

Thank you all for your comments!

Likewise, I've never seen this one.

What I like about Palmers is they are so far off the mark that you can't rationally call them the vehicle they're supposed to be. So instead, look at them as some phantom and have some fun customizing it into something nobody's seen before and would never recognize any association with their "intended" look. I saw one done that way, it looked awesome and I became a believer.

On 4/9/2022 at 7:27 PM, Lunajammer said:

Likewise, I've never seen this one.

What I like about Palmers is they are so far off the mark that you can't rationally call them the vehicle they're supposed to be. So instead, look at them as some phantom and have some fun customizing it into something nobody's seen before and would never recognize any association with their "intended" look. I saw one done that way, it looked awesome and I became a believer.

Thanks for the ideas!

On 4/9/2022 at 7:58 PM, John M. said:

I've built Palmer kits from the early 70s but I never knew they were around in the 60s like your 65 Olds.

I've had them as early as 1960

12 hours ago, doorsovdoon said:

That's cool. Palmer models remind me of the tinplate cars from Japan. You can tell what it is but is nowhere near accurate.

I agree

7 hours ago, espo said:

This will be a real challenge with the body proportions. The roof looks almost like am aftermarket removable type. Maybe some sort of a Kustom?

That's a possibility.

• 1 month later...
On 4/8/2022 at 5:04 PM, rsmodels said:

I was asked to post some photos of my 65 Starfire. I just taped it together so you can see what it looks like. The wheels and tires are not the ones that came with it. I didn't want to mount the rims into the tires as the tires are rock hard and the rims won't go in easily.

I think the box art is the best part as is the case with many of Palmer's models but it isn't their worst effort and you can tell what it is. I know of no other 65 Starfire kit that was made. This is one you don't see often. Maybe you don't want to!

Thanks for looking!  Comments, good or bad , are welcome.   -Rich

DCFC0002.JPG

DCFC0008.JPG

DCFC0009.JPG

DCFC0010.JPG

DCFC0013 (2).JPG

DCFC0013 (3).JPG

DCFC0011.JPG

Would make a good funny car body..

Do you think there would be any chance of cutting and sectioning this to even come close to looking like a Starfire?

If it was 1/25 I'd like to give it a try, but when it's "somewhere around" 1/32nd scale, I don't even have enough donors to cull parts from. Where would you even find the right roof?

I do like that it clearly says "Oldsmobile" in the rear panel. How smooth do you think licensing would go if Palmer were around today?

• 2 months later...
10 hours ago, Kah puts said:

Rich are there any updates on the 65 Starfire, Glen.

Hi Glen,

No, I haven't done anything with this kit and didn't really plan to build it any time soon, if ever. I bought a few other rare models from the guy who had this. I like Oldsmobiles (have a real 63) and this kit is in nice condition, has great box art, and is not seen too often so I decided to buy it mainly to just have it in my stash. 

I have so many other kits to build that would come ahead of this one that I doubt I'll ever get to it.     -Rich