Model Cars Magazine Forum

Small drill bits

What sets do you guys recommend for tiny bits?

I tried installing pins in some side view mirrors over the weekend. I have a set in a blue plastic case, and I couldn't get them to drill at all. Even starting a spot by twirling an xacto blade didn't help.

There are some things it never pays to scrimp on, and small drill bits is one of them. This will include many drill bits sold to hobbyists as a set. A properly ground drill bit requires precision manufacture, necessary for a bit that will cut well and evenly from both cutting lips and bore a straight, clean hole. I buy machine shop quality bits in packages of 10 or 12 from jobber shops that sell tools for industrial use. Places such as Acklands-Grainger or McMaster-Carr, or many other similar shops sell them. Most recognised name brands are good for model use, Dormer and Greenlee come to mind, but there are many. The difference in cutting performance between a proper bit and cheap hobby junk is night & day, and there is nothing more frustrating then doing some precision micro-drilling on a small, delicate piece with a cheap bit. They cost much more, but for anyone doing scratchbuilding, they are worth it. If you are only using them for pinning, then you could get away with buying only one or two sizes that correspond with the size pins you like to use.

Edited by Bainford
  • Like 1

The set I have used for years, along with a few replacements bits, came from a locale Hobby Shop and there is no name displayed on the case. The base is a round flat plastic black in color and just says Drill Stand in the center and the domed top is clear. The sizes range from #80 or 0135 thru # 61 035 in size. I also have another universal drill with some larger sizes in the handle that I got at a Hobby Lobby and I still see then being offered when I have visited. I agree with Bainford and TonyK that this is an area you should focus on quality over price. I have found them indispensable for attaching small parts and reinforcing many components in my builds. 

A compromise would be to get one of the inexpensive "hobby" sets, and, when (inevitably) one or two of the "more often used" sizes breaks, pick up a pack of ten "industrial" bits as replacements.

The "most often used" sizes ought to have dedicated pin vises or mandrels; that is, have one that is used only with that size bit.  The "hobby" pin vises are usually made of aluminum, if the opening has "crushed" around a larger bit, then it will have some "slop" when used with a smaller bit later on.

• Like 1

I use micro carbide drill bits.  All my bits have 1/8" shanks and chuck right in my moto-tool.  I use a 4.8v  re-chargeable moto-tool. You CAN NOT hand drill with these.  They are super sharp but snap in a heartbeat.   I use the slowest speed  and make sure the bit goes in nice and straight. Any angle or twisting and they will snap. They will do most brass and copper but you have to be careful when they are about to break through.  They will catch very quickly and snap if you are not careful. It takes some practice with these bits but once you know what they can and can't do and the materials you can and can't use them on you  won't regret it. They never wear out and you can do some incredibly precise drilling.  My go to for these bits is Drillbitcity.com.

1 hour ago, Mark said:

A compromise would be to get one of the inexpensive "hobby" sets, and, when (inevitably) one or two of the "more often used" sizes breaks, pick up a pack of ten "industrial" bits as replacements.

Normally, I would agree. I sometimes do this with other items when the buy-in cost of quality is too much to bear at one time. But, with low-quality small drill bits, the cutting quality is what suffers, creating bores that are oversized, crooked, off-centre, bell-mouthed, and sloppy, and requiring many more turns of the pin vise to make the hole. When doing small, precision drilling, the quality of the work will suffer, as will the enjoyment of the task. Also, some cheap drill bits are much less breakable than quality bits, some having the molecular integrity of a over-cooked noodle. I have even bent them without breaking.

Edited by Bainford

Best small drill bits I have encountered is from Drill Bits Unlimited.  The ones I get are 1/8" shank but are anywhere from #80 to #60 in size.  #71 is about common pin size and is great for drilling holes for securing small parts.  These drills are super sharp but are quite brittle if not used carefully.  Still, I recommend them highly.   I use them in a pin vise as well as a small drill press.

• Like 1

On 4/25/2022 at 2:40 PM, Chariots of Fire said:

Best small drill bits I have encountered is from Drill Bits Unlimited.  The ones I get are 1/8" shank but are anywhere from #80 to #60 in size.  #71 is about common pin size and is great for drilling holes for securing small parts.  These drills are super sharp but are quite brittle if not used carefully.  Still, I recommend them highly.   I use them in a pin vise as well as a small drill press.

Exactly. I bought a few sets years ago, multiples of the sizes that I use the most. I originally bought some at Harbor Freight almost 20 years ago, & have bought random sizes over the years to replace broken ones & fill in the missing sizes. I use them by hand, no pin vice. I have broken some, but it teaches you to be more careful.

a-arm4.jpg.76737678ce27b8d9592a546b52ff3492.jpg