Model Cars Magazine Forum

Return of the 1/25 MPC '68 Coronet/Super Bee RT Convertible...

8 hours ago, Carmak said:

Anybody else notice the red and clear lenses for police lights? Those were part of the 68 Hard Top kit. Hmmmmmmm

Are you sure? i don't remember them on the 68'Hardtop,but i know they were in the 69'Hardtop to build a police version.

2 hours ago, kelson said:

Are you sure? i don't remember them on the 68'Hardtop,but i know they were in the 69'Hardtop to build a police version.

2 hours ago, kelson said:

My bad.  You are correct.  I thought it was in the 68 Coronet hdtp kit.  It's not.  Those lights are in the MPC 69 Coronet kit.

2 hours ago, stavanzer said:

I hope the other light bar parts make it into the Hardtop kit, though!

Yes, those are beacon lenses that will be included with next version along with some other related parts not shown yet.  Originally they were just in with the '69 annual hardtop kit molded in red only but I decided to make another set in clear.   I wondering how long it would take before they were spotted. 

-Steve 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, SteveG said:

Yes, those are beacon lenses that will be included with next version along with some other related parts not shown yet.  Originally they were just in with the '69 annual hardtop kit molded in red only but I decided to make another set in clear.   I wondering how long it would take before they were spotted. 

-Steve 

interesting....maybe usefull for the late '70s 4dr. Dodge Monaco too.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SteveG said:

-Steve 

I win :) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, '70 Grande said:

"...other related parts not shown yet."

Steve, you're making me very curious!

Oh, Yes! I wonder what the other parts could be. There really is not all that much shown in the '68/'69 Instruction sheets that does not already show in the convertible kit.

13 minutes ago, stavanzer said:

Oh, Yes! I wonder what the other parts could be. There really is not all that much shown in the '68/'69 Instruction sheets that does not already show in the convertible kit.

There's a small tree of plated parts that will be added to the Hardtop.   Once the Convertible is officially out I'll look into previewing it. 

-Steve 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Rodent said:

I think that the obvious answer (to me anyway) is that the original annual had them and they were shown on the box art.

Exactly right although if you look at the new box art it no longer says Super Bee anywhere on the box except for the decals.   It's on the decal sheet for those that want to make a "custom" Super Bee convertible.  For those that don't the side stripes are sized long enough so you can trim the Super Bee logo off and do the stock R/T stripes. 

-Steve

Boxart 1968 Coronet Super Bee convertible R/T 1868-200 MPC

Edited by SteveG
  • Thanks 3

There was 1 Super Bee convertible. Dodge in 68 with the Alexander Brothers built the concept car. Consensus seems based on 500 convertible. Looks familiar 😃 They did black hood, sidepipes (still in there I’d guess) and couple other things, added Scat Pak Bee. 

37736EAD-93B3-489C-89BA-7834BA288D51.jpeg

8AD4F044-956E-4D55-AFE0-183F6F112CBC.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, keyser said:

There was 1 Super Bee convertible. Dodge in 68 with the Alexander Brothers built the concept car.

It was in front of me the entire time -- I'd forgotten about the show car "Super Bee" convertible. 

Duh! 

It's on the kit box top! 

Funny things that Chrysler did back then: Road Runner convertible (1969-1970), but those were equipped with the same instruments as the Belvedere et al. No Super Bee convertible, but the coupe and hardtop were equipped with the instruments from the Charger [see image].

The 500 model [WP prefix on VIN] was more akin to the R/T [WS prefix] insofar as appointments; the Super Bee [WM prefix] had appointments similar - if not exactly - to the 440 trim/model [WL or WH prefix]. 

68_Super_Bee_Suppliment0003.jpg

Edited by 1972coronet
I'm tired and my cat's hungry.
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, keyser said:

There was 1 Super Bee convertible. Dodge in 68 with the Alexander Brothers built the concept car. Consensus seems based on 500 convertible. Looks familiar 😃 They did black hood, sidepipes (still in there I’d guess) and couple other things, added Scat Pak Bee.

The convertible only sidepipes didn't make it back into the new kit, sorry long story.  You'll notice those aren't shown on the new box art either.  

-Steve

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SteveG said:

The convertible only sidepipes didn't make it back into the new kit, sorry long story.  You'll notice those aren't shown on the new box art either.  

-Steve

Dang, I have a thing for anything worked on by the A Bros, was hoping to build the concept car.

Oh well, thanks for your efforts bringing this kit to market though.

• Like 1

This is what the pipes look like in the original issue. One pipe is off the runner and the other is still attached. The front part of the pipe is still on the runner on the fer-left side of the picture.

They really do not look like the 1:1 or the box art.

Original issues side pipes.jpg

• Sad 1

On 1/18/2023 at 2:37 PM, SteveG said:

There's a small tree of plated parts that will be added to the Hardtop.   Once the Convertible is officially out I'll look into previewing it. 

-Steve 

So there is definitely a hardtop in the future? Is a 69 in consideration?