Model Cars Magazine Forum

Finger nail powder chrome works great

I decided to try the chrome nail powder. It works exactly as shown in the video that was on here a short while back. It does take practice to get it right. Here's a front bumper for my 59 Plymouth that I did. It's so shiny that my cell phone camera can't get past the glare. I've rubbed my fingers all over it and done everything to see if it held it's quality. Nothing phased it. It'still like it was when I applied it.

1737661530_chromedfrontbumper.jpg.de6c41100d1b30376ea82731638f2fc6.jpg2026830136_chromedfrontbumper1.jpg.9a7fd220781680dd4d89e2e5cea85c22.jpg575768520_chromedfrontbumper2.jpg.5c926b8ecb158d357093ef4e547e2657.jpg

• Like 3

Nice video, but that's not it. This chrome is even shinier and doesn't need a clear coat. This is it. The YouTube video "Chrome Finish on Plastic- Did I Find the Answer?"

You paint your part black. next, apply a coat of Glass Finish Gel. Cure that with a uv light and then rub on the powder. There is some powder residue that you just brush away. I just used a cheap brand of powder, but I watched a video yesterday were a nail tech use a mirror chrome. Totally unbelievable.

Edited by my66s55
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, my66s55 said:

Nice video, but that's not it. This chrome is even shinier and doesn't need a clear coat. This is it. The YouTube video "Chrome Finish on Plastic- Did I Find the Answer?"

You paint your part black. next, apply a coat of Glass Finish Gel. Cure that with a uv light and then rub on the powder. There is some powder residue that you just brush away. I just used a cheap brand of powder, but I watched a video yesterday were a nail tech use a mirror chrome. Totally unbelievable.

Have you tried it with a gloss black base? or you have to use the glass finish gel? I watched that video but wasn't really thrilled with the results.  I also can't really tell from your pictures either.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Dpate said:

Have you tried it with a gloss black base? or you have to use the glass finish gel? I watched that video but wasn't really thrilled with the results.  I also can't really tell from your pictures either.  

The glass base gel although cured hard, is what adheres it. I used Duplicolor standard black for the base. It's difficult to photo as the light reflection blurs it. 

Here's a couple more with the blinds closed. There's still some reflection, but there are some areas that can be seen well.The whole part looks like these areas. That's me in the background of the second picture. I was not totally sold by the video either. My main question was how would it would take handling. I did't just handle it, I repeatedly rubbed it with my fingers and gave it a real test. It didn't even phase it. 

660090832_chromedfrontbumper4.jpg.cff6f93eeecdc62c8b15a5740f324b7d.jpg830931631_chromedfrontbumper5.jpg.485e0cf3d87ebc3f95b4774bacabba1e.jpg

chromed front bumper 3.jpg

Edited by my66s55
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, SfanGoch said:

What's the product name? That would make it much easier searching for it with Google. A general search comes up with dozens of products, not necessarily the one you used.

They were purchased from Amazon. Search "chrome nail powder" and you'll see many different ones. A lot of them come in a package with many colors.

I found one for $6.99 that was just chrome. Here's the Glass Finish Gel.1962095434_chromedfrontbumper3.jpg.ef968f2d0a26cd4ac2d448ed3e05c9d9.jpg 

Edited by my66s55
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, my66s55 said:

Nice video, but that's not it. This chrome is even shinier and doesn't need a clear coat.

Look like the same powder/techniques to me just used a different base/adhesion method and optional clear coat as Barbatos Rex will tests every type of chrome with a clear coat to see the results. Part of his testing to show real world results. 

Maybe you could copy and paste some links to make it easier for people to see your references. 

1 hour ago, NOBLNG said:

Here is the video. It looks like fantastic stuff. The nail powder part starts at 6:10.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ninpBuzNSxQ

I wonder if that “glass finish gel” could be airbrushed on for a smoother finish? And then what to clean the airbrush with?

It's too thick. but is self leveling. The cured finish is smooth as glass. 

3 hours ago, Sandboarder said:

Look like the same powder/techniques to me just used a different base/adhesion method and optional clear coat as Barbatos Rex will tests every type of chrome with a clear coat to see the results. Part of his testing to show real world results. 

Maybe you could copy and paste some links to make it easier for people to see your references. 

My reference has been posted and the result is on my desk. This stuff doesn't need a clear coat. You seem to be set on your guy. I'm sure of what I have and don't need any more proof. 

27 minutes ago, my66s55 said:

This stuff doesn't need a clear coat. You seem to be set on your guy. I'm sure of what I have and don't need any more proof. 

I just re watched what I posted. It’s the same style of powder (I actually think it’s for finger nails) he doesn’t spray a clear coat in the video. I googled chrome finger nail powder and lots come up that don’t need a UV cured resin. 

It is the same thing. 

Apply adhesive layer, brush on the powder, buff. Enjoy chrome finish. 

Your way    

Apply adhesive layer, brush the powder on a tacky base coat of paint , buff. Enjoy chrome finish. 

My way

apply gel layer, uv cure (uv curing hardens the layer so you can touch it. It's not sticky.) rub the powder on with a sponge applicator , brush off unused powder. No sticky surface or buffing. My bumper looks a whole lot better than that spoon. My powder even looks more metallic. The non gel way takes a lot more work to get it to shine and in my eyes view, doesn't appear to be as shinny.   

@my66s55 so your saying the powder in the other video (I shared) couldn’t be applied over a gel layer that’s UV cured? 

2 hours ago, my66s55 said:

I'm sure of what I have and don't need any more proof. 

Well maybe you can edit/post links to your products, list the brands, link you video you copied on your first post because no one else knew what you purchased until several posts later. 

It would have been very helpful 

This is a modern variation of an old technique used mainly by aircraft modelers, in the days prior to metalizers. It works excellently, especially in creating a non-grainy metal finish. I did the headers on this car rubbing graphite powder into flat black paint. For all intents and purposes, it looks like shiny, burnt metal.

DSC_0023cr.jpg

DSC_0027cr.jpg

DSC_0032cr.jpg

• Like 6

53 minutes ago, peteski said:

We have all these "miracle" chrome systems popping up on the forum recently, but nobody seems to have a handle on how durable they are (either in handling or longevity). :blink:

The stuff on my headers has been there for over 20 years. I suspect the nail chrome powder will be plenty durable for a model. After all, it's made for fingernails!

• Like 2