Model Cars Magazine Forum

1982-92 Camaro

Like much else in the 80s (Mustangs, Front-drive Mopars, the beginning of Imports) they were considered anemic, underpowered, uninspired pieces of utilitarian transport appliances.

Everyone still wanted a musclecar in the 80s, and the cars of the time were forgotton and often not kitted or kitted poorly (who cares, it's not a musclecar was the mentality). A shame too as some really cool cars came from that time, and led to what was later to be and kitted.

Edited by whale392

I like 'em, even though I trounced a new stock '82 Z28 in CA w/my old Mazda RX4, but that's another story :rolleyes:

No love? Probably because they're not old enough yet to be a "classic", not new enough to be a hot street setup w/easily found parts like the later model cars. They'll emerge from limbo when they start going for big $$ on Barrett Jackson.

Like much else in the 80s (Mustangs, Front-drive Mopars, the beginning of Imports) they were considered anemic, underpowered, uninspired pieces of utilitarian transport appliances.

Everyone still wanted a musclecar in the 80s, and the cars of the time were forgotton and often not kitted or kitted poorly (who cares, it's not a musclecar was the mentality). A shame too as some really cool cars came from that time, and led to what was later to be and kitted.

That's probably right on the money, I ran across the same when I still had my little Turbo Mopars.

I currently have a project '88 IROC i'm working on....

I have also owned the following Camaro's:

2 different '79 Z28's

2 different '81 Z28's

a '71 Sport Coupe (bascket case project car)

and a rare 1 of 26 bright purple metallic '97 Z28 6speed...(###### ex-wife :) )

the '79 Z28's are my first love, and I would kill to find an affordable one right now.

my all-time dream car is a '70 Z28, 4spd, cortez silver with black stripes.

but my favorite was my '97 Z28...loved that car!!! great low-end torque, 6speed that I added 4.10 gears to..T-Tops, ran 13.60's with just the gears, drag radials, Borla exhaust and a Moroso cold-air kit..with Ice-Cold A/C for the Vegas summers.

that car was a blast!!!!!

but these is something about the way an IROC handles, and it just looks cool!!!

There is Love for them.

I was just wondering the other day "what ever happen to those 80s Camaros?"

I do love the IROCSs. gotta find one of those.

Since I was at my LHS the other day, I pick this up.

revell85CamaroZ28.jpg

I built one of these when they were new.

Never got the rear glass to set right.

I now have another shot at it. :D

Edited by Zukiholic

man i really want one of those 83 firebird kits!!! lucky guys..lol

I've got the amt 83 Camaro...and its a great looking kit..way better detail wise than the later issues, and it includes the nice cross ram 4 webber race set up as and engine options plus that wild imsa styled body kit....

I'll build it one of these days..lol

anyone got a spare of those mpc 83 firebirds they don't want? ..lol

Gray

I to love the 3rd gen camaro's as i drive a 92' Z-28 convertible,my first car was a 82 z-28 and i once owned a 88'iroc convertible and a 91'Z-28 convertible(yes i love convertibles more).And i have most of the model kits issued between 82-92,including 3 resin 91 convertibles. Will build some of them one day just have so many other kits to build.I also like the 3rd gen firebird as well,probably my favorite era as i grew up in the 80's. :wacko:

i like the third gen. camaros.i own a 84 berlinetta and a 92 RS Hertiage Edition(i also own a fourth gen.99 V-6 camaro).i will be turning the 92 into a street/strip ride.it will have a warmed over carbed 383 c.i. small block for power.they make a lot of aftermarket parts for them and the cars can be picked up cheap.they make great project cars.i hope to have mine finished by summer.i only have two third gen camaro models.the monogram reher/morrison/shepard 84 camaro pro stock kit and amt 91 Z/28 kit top do a replica of my 92 RS.

Edited by racer X

I've got a bunch of the MPC, AMT and a few of the Monogram F-bodies in my stash to eventually build. Another neat one I have is a Revell 1:16 Z-28 w/ opening doors. Don't have any of the kits from '82-84, though..

I like these cars as they are from my teenage years, a popular car when I was in high school..I had several friends who had IROC-Zs, Trans AMs, GTAs.... I was in the Ford gang then w/ my Mustang GT (my senior class had 1/6 dozen GTs and LX 5.0s, IIRC).

• 5 years later...