Model Cars Magazine Forum

Looong & Looow 33 Ford Roadster... "à la Coddington"

Claude Thibodeau

Nice build Claude,  it is clean and tasteful like all your build my friend. 👌

The body color is superb and with the red interior, the combo is perfect !

I notice the return of the green air valve caps, the good habits come back at a gallop !

As Scott mentioned before me, the license plate is well hidden, not sure if it's legal but it would be illegal to taint this beautiful design with an administrative formality... an elegant way to comply with the law... 😁

Another home run my friend, are you taking steroids by the way? 😉

21 hours ago, Phildaupho said:

You really captured the Boyd look which I was very much attracted to back in the day. I did visit his shop in the late 1990's. The Smoothster was there which I think will go down in history as a very significant custom car along with a number of his other builds. 

Hi Phil!

Thanks for the comments.

I never visited his shop, but I talked with Mr. Coddington a few times, in person and over the phone. When he was preparing to launch his line of Boydster fiberglass cars, he was shopping around for a fiberglass sub-contractor, and I "negociated" with him on behalf of a friend of mine who was one of the better "glass men" around. The exchange rate at the time made it even more appealing, but ultimately, he chose a supplier in New-Zealand: about the same exchange rate, and boat delivery to the port of L.A. carried the day. Oh well...

As to the Smoothster, I build a bunch of 1/1 "copies" for myself and a few customers, out of Coast to Coast or OZE kits. (see pic below). 

CT 

DSCF2968.JPG

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Claude Thibodeau said:

Hi Phil!

Thanks for the comments.

I never visited his shop, but I talked with Mr. Coddington a few times, in person and over the phone. When he was preparing to launch his line of Boydster fiberglass cars, he was shopping around for a fiberglass sub-contractor, and I "negociated" with him on behalf of a friend of mine who was one of the better "glass men" around. The exchange rate at the time made it even more appealing, but ultimately, he chose a supplier in New-Zealand: about the same exchange rate, and boat delivery to the port of L.A. carried the day. Oh well...

As to the Smoothster, I build a bunch of 1/1 "copies" for myself and a few customers, out of Coast to Coast or OZE kits. (see pic below). 

CT 

I really thought Coast to Coast did a great job with their Smoothster inspired bodies. I believe they were based in your part of the country.

For my scale version I combined the Smoothster with the Coupster front end

2v1wnamWximYT.jpg

1 hour ago, Phildaupho said:

I really thought Coast to Coast did a great job with their Smoothster inspired bodies. I believe they were based in your part of the country.

For my scale version I combined the Smoothster with the Coupster front end

2v1wnamWximYT.jpg

HI!

You are right: there were 3 manufacturers of those kits on the south shore of Quebec city: Coast to Coast, Wild Rod, and OZE Rod shop. Their common thread? My good friend Renaud Gagnon, who developped the plugs and molds for all of them, and ended up with his own concern, OZE. He was the guy whose bodies impressed Mr. Coddington. 

Now, to your version, here's mine: a quick curbside that I made for the owner of the 1/1 above. It's a small world!

CT 

DSCF3011.JPG

DSCF3021.JPG

On 7/13/2022 at 8:51 PM, alan barton said:

The amount of scratchbuilding in this model is very impressive! You left no stone unturned in capturing all the styling elements of the Boyd era.  I love the mesh inserts in the door panels!  This is one of your best for sure!

Cheers

Alan

HI Alan!

Thanks for the comments. I have built more detailed scratchbuild models, but the 33 roadster is hard to "miss", such a fine basic shape!

CT

On 7/13/2022 at 10:15 PM, mr moto said:

That is just TOO fine! It sets a standard for others to aspire to.

Is the hood hinge also a scratch-built piece?

Hi Manuel!

Thank you. Yes, the hood and trunk hinges are my design and fabrication. The hood one was influenced by space limitations, but it works fine!

CT

2 minutes ago, Claude Thibodeau said:

Hi Manuel!

Thank you. Yes, the hood and trunk hinges are my design and fabrication. The hood one was influenced by space limitations, but it works fine!

CT

I love that it looks so much more than functional. It looks like the hinge that belongs on that car.

On 7/14/2022 at 3:19 AM, rrb124@sbcglobal.net said:

Home Run!

Love everything about it. Checking out the drilled out rear end chassis member in body color. Would love to be able to make something like this if I had the skill and time. Would be a great diecast offering. 

Hi Robert!

Thanks for the enthusiastic comment. Much appreciated. 

As you may know, time often compensate for skills. I just have too much time on my hands, really.

I'm certain you could do as well if you get at it!

CT

On 7/14/2022 at 5:37 AM, Koellefornia Kid said:

Absolutely stunning build, Claude! I spent my teenage years in the 90s and was very much influenced by the creations that rolled out of Boyd Coddington´s shop! You perfectly captured the vibe of that era and used so many great parts to build this beauty! Imo, this one deserves an AMBR award!

Hi Oliver!

Thanks for the comments.

This era was something: the "less is more" smooth look was a major influence in all the automotive currents that followed. And for that, we have to thank Mr. Coddington, of course, but all the luminaries that surrounded him: Thom Taylor, Buttera, Marcel Delay, Foose and many others.

As they say in the music biz: "and the hits kept on coming"...

CT

On 7/14/2022 at 11:27 AM, espo said:

The engineering that went into this model would rival anything that Boyd would have cooked up. A lot of attention to the smallest little details on the chassis and hinges. 

Hi David!

Thank you for the compliments. I see that you pay great attention to details, as it should be. The devil is in the details, I'm told...

CT

On 7/14/2022 at 3:36 PM, Scott Colmer said:

Good stuff, Claude. You captured the Coddington shape very well. I like the front suspension and the hood hinge is very interesting. It looks like it can be posed in more than one position.  - Oh - great way to place the hidden license plate too.

Hi Scott!

Thank you. The IFS was inspired by the one-off that Mr. Coddington created for Buz Di Vosta's Roadstar. It was massive and delicate at once. I have no CNC, but styrene can be bent to your will sometimes...

As for the hood hinge, space limitations dictated such a design. And you are right: it sweeps all the way up and forward, allowing the hood to be raised as you fancy. Who knew?

CT