Model Cars Magazine Forum

Fugimi Lamborghini Countache 5000 qv: WIP

David G.

21 hours ago, Pierre Rivard said:

Looks really good. Personal preference but I like the panel line as it is. On my last white car (Chaparral) I used a gray wash for panel line and it preferred it to the high contrast of the black panel line.

Thank you Pierre.

I agree, I think I'll leave the panel lines as they are. Typically, when I paint lighter colored vehicles, I'll darken the panel lines after the initial primer coat and then once again before the final color coat. I find that doing it this way gives me darker panel gaps without that sharp contrast.

I did that for this most recent repaint and I think it worked well enough around the headlight doors. Unfortunately the gap around the boot lid is a bit uneven because I originally painted it separately and I was hoping that a little panel line darkener would help to even it out. But it's probably better to let it be.

21 hours ago, dino246gt said:

Here is Tamiya's GREY panel line wash on a white car, slightly more subtle than the black:

IMG_5454.JPG

Beautiful Corvette Dennis!

I do keep meaning to get some panel line darkener in a couple of different colors, probably brown and gray. I'd like to get something water-based though. The inevitable blobs and drips enamel-based don't always clean up well with the enamel-based Tamiya. Most times it cleans up well enough but if there are rough patches or paint flaws, it tends to stain them and doesn't want to come out.

Thanks again,

David G.

Hello Everybody!

That was indeed soon!

No matter how I tweaked and adjusted it, I just could not get the RH door to seat properly when closed. So I decided further investigation was warranted and carefully dismantled the door. 

After carefully disassembling the door thankfully without damaging it, I was able to determine that the hinge was a bit warped and not allowing the door to properly close all the way.

87_Lambo_55.jpg.c5a6768f3462dbb5068f07cc8c25d31c.jpg

I made a couple of small relief cuts to the hinge to allow the door chassis to be in the correct position when closed. I then taped the door in place and used Tamiya liquid cement to chemically weld the hinge back into one solid piece. After allowing it to cure for a few hours, I used some CA to reinforce and strengthen the weld. 

The alignment is much better and I think a little work along the forward lower edge of the door will allow it to settle completely into place. For now, I want to give the hinge repair ample time to cure before I start messing with it.

87_Lambo_56.jpg.62e70a251dae7a348490be257827b685.jpg

That's all for this run. As always, thanks for stopping by for a look and please feel free to post a comment or two.

David G.

Just now, ModelcarJR said:

Nice work, David!  It looks like this build is really testing you but you are up to the task! Looking good! 😎👍

Thank you John. It certainly is trying my skills but I do like a good challenge.

It's like I say: "Model builders, we're problem solvers who create our own problems to solve!" 

David G.

16 hours ago, Bainford said:

Nice repair, David. It always takes a leap of faith to disassemble a finished component, and half the time I do, I usually wish I hadn't. Your door repair turned out nicely. Everything is coming along fine.

Thanks Trevor, I'm still working on it but I'm thinking I need to accept what I've been able to do and move on before I mess something up.

David G.

Hello Everybody!

I've hit the point with this build where I need to have done with it. I need to stop fiddling around with it and just march toward the finish line.

After all the disassembly and adjustment, the door fits better but it's still not perfect. I think I'm just going to have to accept what I've been able to accomplish and move on to the next activity.

87_Lambo_57.jpg.ca7a0ed83a4f6bdeef892951748bff77.jpg

The door is made up of three parts, each of which has to align with the other two pieces. Between the outer door skin and the chassis of the door, the wire for the closing mechanism needs to be sandwiched so it can move freely along an inner guide between them.  As all of this is being assembled, the whole mess has to be floated into the body of the car while the wire closure and hinge are kept in proper alignment and free of binding in order to work properly.

At this point, I've attained the extent of what my skill can accomplish and I must move on to the next activity.

87_Lambo_58.jpg.788e0b89d30a7e11c275a9da3bfa2547.jpg

Besides, I can always display it with the door open.

As always, thanks for following along and please feel free to post a comment or two.

David G.

21 hours ago, Pierre Rivard said:

Man this thing looks good without the spoiler.

Just saying, ha ha!

Great job sir!

Thank you Pierre, I think it does too but I've already committed to installing it

Thanks again,

David G.

On 4/9/2023 at 5:02 AM, Beamerman said:

I have a lot of these Fujimi kits especially the enthusiast series..i tried to build 3 of them...and failed hard...great work from you...i never come so far...

Thank you for your kind comment. Knowing that I feel a bit better about the the door issue.

Thanks,

David G.

22 hours ago, Funkychiken said:

Good recovery with the paint bleed.

No matter how many builds we do, there are always setbacks.

Great detail on the spoiler strut alignment, it's going to be a killer build

Thank you Atin, I'm glad I was able to get the paint issue taken care of without causing more problems.

Thanks again for taking the time to comment.

David G.

23 hours ago, FLHCAHZ said:

This is coming out beautifully!  I would display this with the door open, just becase you can - and to show off the intereior.  Way to stick with it.

Thank you so much Chaz! Displaying it with at least that one door open is my plan.

It's an iconic part of the car's image after all. :) 

David G.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, adamelvis said:

Nice Work so far !

Adam

Thank you so much Adam.

14 hours ago, SpikeSchumacher said:

Way to go David!

Thanks Spike, I appreciate your encouragement.

I've been a little busy lately so not much bench time. And today is the Desert Scale Classic, so maybe I'll get some more build time tomorrow.

David G.

7 hours ago, Force said:

Great work on a fiddly difficult kit.
I have a couple of them and started one many years ago but it was never finished...still have it tho' and may come back to it after seeing your build.

Thank you Håkan. It is a good kit but like you said it's fiddly and this one's the curbside edition. I can only imagine adding in the need to build and fit an engine, Work in the opening boot lid with accompanying detail and roll-down headlights.

Some of the parts for some of those features are included in this kit. I noticed them but didn't investigate any further fearing that I would try to find a way to work them in..

Again, thank you for your kind comment and encouragement Håkan.

David G.