Model Cars Magazine Forum

MPC '68 GTO and '81 Camaro ?

Can-Con

17 hours ago, Karl LaFong said:

Any chance that the interior racing parts from the 70's vintage Camaros and Firebirds will be included?  I can see a future dirt track street stock!

On 10/4/2022 at 6:00 PM, stavanzer said:

Thanks, Steve!

If it isn't too late, can I suggest that they include any spare Flares, Spoilers, Wings, Ect that may still be in the tool, please! Any extra bits that night be still there. All the variants of the kit, seemed to revolve around adding different Air Dams and Flares to the kit, as the major parts never changed much.

Thanks.

P.S. You saw the ThunderZ I posted. Be really great if the parts for that issue could be found.

Long story short, for the initial release of the Pro Street version we will have to stick with just those contents.  We have located most of the Thunder Z parts and will probably release that version later on.  I hope to do some the others too as we locate the loose inserts. 

We could probably include some stock decals this time around but since this version is a mishmash of the '79-80 parts I'm not sure which would be best. 

-Steve

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, stavanzer said:

A youtube Comparison of the MPC Kits.

The kit in the lower left had a pretty decent full race option. You build up a full roll cage on the chassis, deleting the interior tub. Made GREAT short track and road race start. Hope that stuff.....and some of the IMSA body panels are included. 

Edited by Dave Van

1 hour ago, SteveG said:

Long story short, for the initial release of the Pro Street version we will have to stick with just those contents.  We have located most of the Thunder Z parts and will probably release that version later on.  I hope to do some the others too as we locate the loose inserts. 

We could probably include some stock decals this time around but since this version is a mishmash of the '79-80 parts I'm not sure which would be best. 

-Steve

Thank You, for the Update Steve!

Decals: If I could suggest anything it would be Gauges (as you guys have been doing lately!) Some Stock Decals (even if the kit isn't all that stock) and some Wild Street Machine choices. I'm seeing a lot of newer modelers using only what comes in the box, and the more options you have on the decal sheet, and you show on the Box Top, the more choices these guys have to choose from. If you want to use the Decals that come in this version of the kit, please choose a better colour than the muddy brown that they are in my boxing. Can we get Red Or Black or White, please! Just my 2 cents.

I looked in my stash, and I have the exact boxing Steve says they have. It has Two sets of Chrome Wheels (Wires and 12 Hole CenterLines) and a bunch of stuff on the chrome tree I have not seen on older issues of the Kit. Headers and swoopy connections, Two Different Air Cleaners (Cowl Induction and Pie Plate) NASCAR Style, Single Carb Intake manifold, and a few other bits. The Roll Cage parts for the Road Race Version, Dave remembers are not in my kit. There is no factory Stock Air Cleaner. The Hood is stock, and there are no cut-outs on the underside. The kit option break down to: Stock Exhaust system (with oddly chromed manifolds) and a stock intake with a 4 barrel Carb and aftermarket Chromed Flat Air Cleaner, & "Stock" (I think they mean the 'wire-mag) Wheels, OR, Side Pipes with Tube Headers, and a NASCAR Style Racing Intake w/ a 4 Barrel and a straight sided NASCAR Style Cowl Induction Air Cleaner with the "Custom" (Centerline) Wheels. This second option is the "Pro-Street" Option, I assume.

It is, truthfully a bit "Content Light" with not that much in the box, IMHO, and a strange mish-mash of parts like many MPC kits were in the last couple years before they went under. The Coherent Options (and parts for each) are gone, and you are left with Whatever was left in the toolbank the last time the kit was run. Or Rather whatever they could fine when they ran the tool. There is enough there to build a great kit, especially if you are a fan of that generation of Camaros. And, (again my opinion) it will stand Head and Shoulders above the Snapper that Revell is releasing later next year.

So, In My Opinion, With 2 sets of tires, a fresh (expanded) Decal Sheet and possibly any extra parts that can be found and stuffed into the tool, it will be a Dynamite! throwback to the 1980's Kit. Bring it on!!

21 hours ago, stavanzer said:

A youtube Comparison of the MPC Kits.

I have at least one of each of those except the ThunderZ plus I have two of the Turbo Z above. Nice kits, takes some work to make them look presentable but overall okay builds.

• Like 1

Instructions for this kit through the years.

Starts in '71, but '72 is the earliest I can find.

https://modelkitreviews.proboards.com/thread/670/mpc-7219-camaro-super-sport

https://modelkitreviews.proboards.com/thread/1192/mpc-73-camaro

https://modelkitreviews.proboards.com/thread/1579/mpc-1974-camaro

https://modelkitreviews.proboards.com/thread/750/mpc-7419-74-camaro

https://modelkitreviews.proboards.com/thread/756/mpc-7519-1975-camaro

In 1975 the second Racing Air Cleaner is added. Notice too that the Road Racing or "Grand Am' Roll Cage, Racing Seat and Dash (added in 1973) are still in the kit. Those parts vanish in the Next Freshening of the tool. The many Late 1970's and early 1980's versions no longer have these parts. Notice too, that the later versions show 5 Spoke Stock Rims, Chromed Steelies, and Some Vector style rims, so the "Rims" part of the chrome tree saw a lot of swaps.

https://modelkitreviews.proboards.com/thread/858/mpc-super-camaro-28

https://modelkitreviews.proboards.com/thread/1105/mpc-78-0713-turbo-28

https://modelkitreviews.proboards.com/thread/1380/mpc-night-prowler-camaro

MPC Moved parts around in very creatives ways to get "New" kits to sell.

I hope the Turbo Z parts can be found someday, and put back in. They are in only one version of the kit, that I can find.

6 hours ago, Dave Van said:

The kit in the lower left had a pretty decent full race option. You build up a full roll cage on the chassis, deleting the interior tub. Made GREAT short track and road race start. Hope that stuff.....and some of the IMSA body panels are included. 

At least buddy knows he's making mistakes. Maybe a little more research is on order before someone does a comparo like this.

On 10/4/2022 at 10:39 PM, Bills72sj said:

The 68 GTO is definitely on my buy list. Though I do have one of these.

Revell 68 GTO.jpg

That one is a reissue of the 1/24 monogram '68 and does not contain a true '68 dash. More here...

As I've said in the attached thread, [with pics to illustrate the differences] not only is the dash different but the sew pattern on the seats and door panels is completely different also.

The ONLY parts on the Monogram kit that are "68 are the front and rear bumpers and vent windows. 

If the manufacturer was to release this kit labeled as a "'68" today , they'd be ripped apart on all the message boards for not having a correct interior. That's probably why it hasen't been re-released in so long. Last time it was released was over 20 years ago.

Edited by Can-Con

15 minutes ago, Can-Con said:

As I've said in the attached thread, [with pics to illustrate the differences] not only is the dash different but the sew pattern on the seats and door panels is completely different also.

The ONLY parts on the Monogram kit that are "68 are the front and rear bumpers and vent windows. 

If the manufacturer was to release this kit labeled as a "'68" today , they'd be ripped apart on all the message boards for not having a correct interior. That's probably why it hasen't been re-released in so long. Last time it was released was over 20 years ago.

Probably why it always has been labelled as a Street Machine.

Anyway just saw a build by Scott Liggett, he used an original '68 MPC body, interior and the guts from a Mpc 69'Olds 442, it's beautifull, please see link for more....

Photo courtesy of Scott Liggett.

I finished my black '68 GTO. This is an annual body and interior with the ertl '69 442 chassis underneath it. ............... *PICS* ........ (spotlighthobbies.com)

2v2evawh5xawoah.jpg

Edited by Luc Janssens
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Luc Janssens said:

Probably why it always has been labelled as a Street Machine.

Anyway just saw a build by Scott Liggett, he used an original '68 MPC body, interior and the guts from a Mpc 69'Olds 442, it's beautifull, please see link for more....

Photo courtesy of Scott Liggett.

I finished my black '68 GTO. This is an annual body and interior with the ertl '69 442 chassis underneath it. ............... *PICS* ........ (spotlighthobbies.com)

2v2evawh5xawoah.jpg

Only that's not actually a '68 interior Luc, at least not those front seats. They look like '70 seats. 

The '68 seats , as all years GTO, have a unique sew pattern. The '68 are the ones in my pic below. I can take a pic of the years I have for comparison if anyone wants.

IMG 2391

The Monogram "68" only had a handful of '68 parts like the rear bumper and grille, the rest was carried straight from the stock '69 kit.  They never tried to sell it as a 100% stock '68, it always had the modified engine, custom wheels, and hole in the hood.

19 minutes ago, Mark said:

The Monogram "68" only had a handful of '68 parts like the rear bumper and grille, the rest was carried straight from the stock '69 kit.  They never tried to sell it as a 100% stock '68, it always had the modified engine, custom wheels, and hole in the hood.

Like if someone tried to sell a Chevy II gasser with a roof that looked slightly chopped no one would say anything, right? 😉

When the two versions (stock '69, modified '68) were first issued, I did get both and threw the '68-specific parts into the '69 kit, and vice versa. 

Shortly after selling the "leftover" modified '69 kit, I picked up an MPC '68.

39 minutes ago, Can-Con said:

Only that's not actually a '68 interior Luc, at least not those front seats. They look like '70 seats. 

The '68 seats , as all years GTO, have a unique sew pattern. The '68 are the ones in my pic below. I can take a pic of the years I have for comparison if anyone wants.

IMG 2391

I didn't look into it, just took for real what he posted.  Anyway wrong interior or not, it's still a very nice build. 

Anyway looking forward to Round-2s re-pop with correct ;) interior and rally I and II wheels! :D

1 minute ago, Luc Janssens said:

I didn't look into it, just took for real what he posted.  Anyway wrong interior or not, it's still a very nice build. 

Anyway looking forward to Round-2s re-pop with correct ;) interior and rally I and II wheels! :D

Agreed, very nice. 

I doubt Scott knew the difference in the interior. Probably the guy who he got it from didn't know either. 

one of the reasons I notice this stuff is I was trained in auto upholstery years ago.

Most people don't know or care. As long as it looks the part on the outside, that's "good enough". 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Can-Con said:

Agreed, very nice. 

I doubt Scott knew the difference in the interior. Probably the guy who he got it from didn't know either. 

one of the reasons I notice this stuff is I was trained in auto upholstery years ago.

Most people don't know or care. As long as it looks the part on the outside, that's "good enough". 

Would that make you a "stitch counter"?  🤣🤣  Just messing with you. My son has a 1:1 68 GTO and I also saw the upholstery.

• Haha 3

• 1 month later...
On 10/6/2022 at 6:13 AM, SteveG said:

-Steve

Were you able to find the original Cold Air Induction hood from the original ‘80-‘81 annual?  Except for the wheels, that was the only part that was missing in the subsequent Thunder-Z and Pro Street reissues.  

Also, it would nice to include the optional stock N90 aluminum wheels that the ‘80 and ‘81 annual kits had.  They looked great with those wheels even though the original MPC version was more like a 16” or 17” scale wheel in diameter.  

I’d hate to have to buy the Revell ‘81 Camaro or the ‘86 Monte Carlo SS kit just to get those wheels.  

• Like 1

On 10/5/2022 at 5:48 AM, Plowboy said:

One thing I didn't like about the MPC '80 Camaro I built as a kid was the rear bumper was wider than the body. It should be flush. Even as a kid, that bugged me. Does the '81 have the same issue or did they fix it?

The ‘78-‘81’s all had that same problem.  They never fixed it.

1 hour ago, mikos said:

Were you able to find the original Cold Air Induction hood from the original ‘80-‘81 annual?  Except for the wheels, that was the only part that was missing in the subsequent Thunder-Z and Pro Street reissues.  

Also, it would nice to include the optional stock N90 aluminum wheels that the ‘80 and ‘81 annual kits had.  They looked great with those wheels even though the original MPC version was more like a 16” or 17” scale wheel in diameter.  

I’d hate to have to buy the Revell ‘81 Camaro or the ‘86 Monte Carlo SS kit just to get those wheels.  

We might have those parts but right now all I have to work with is a list of inserts that I can potentially use in a future version.   I really won't be able to explore them at all until after this version has been run and any reorders have been filled.  

-Steve 

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, SteveG said:

We might have those parts but right now all I have to work with is a list of inserts that I can potentially use in a future version.   I really won't be able to explore them at all until after this version has been run and any reorders have been filled.  

-Steve 

Thanks Steve!  I’m glad you were able to find it and then reissue it in the near future.  I look forward to the ‘68 GTO Craftsman style kit that will be coming out as well.   🙂  

Edited by mikos