Model Cars Magazine Forum

Fixing Chrome Headlights

I'm trying to find out what others are doing to get rid of that toy look with chrome headlights short of drilling them out and replacing with clear parts.   I've seen where others have covered them over with something that gets rid of that too shiny look but a search of the forum isn't turning up anything.   I'm sure this has been covered before but for the life of me I can't find it.

I use a cheap craft paint I got at either Hobby Lobby or Michael's. It was from the Martha Stewart line of paints (might not be made any longer?). The color is called Pearl. It has a silver-white pearlized finish. If the Martha Stewart line is no longer available, maybe one of the other craft paints has something similar.

The headlights on this Lincoln were done this way. I would guess that you could add some Bondic over them to simulate the lenses (but I did not do that).

Thanks,

Bart

P1010090.JPG.8c296318aeaf756151fadd465634cb5e.JPG

• Like 2

IMG_3098.jpg.524941ce59d6f50524f27d4c9f760d8f.jpgI bought the AMT '69 Torino Cobra Jet Fastback kit with eager anticipation. Couldn't wait to open it. What I found inside was an old screw-bottom/promo with chrome headlight lenses 😟. I thought about how many extra clear lenses and Model A headlight nacelles I have in my parts stash. No prob-lay-mo! I will drill out the stupid chrome, add suitable headlight buckets to the backside and find some clear lenses to fit. RIGHT? 🥴. Then I'll cut out the radiator support with the screw bosses molded to it and fab up a new radiator support and find a suitable radiator in my stash. I paid 22 bucks for this kit and thought I was getting a great bargain 😄.....I dunno...maybe just try to overlay some lenses and use canopy glue to hold 'em. Turning a lemon into a slightly improved lemon. Don't mind me, I'm just venting.

Edited by customline
Added photo