Model Cars Magazine Forum

Mooneyes...

restoman

With colder weather coming, I've been trying to get any painting done in my garage, so I don't stink up the basement.

I've gone down a bit of a rabbit hole with this one, trying to add some more detail to this kit. I added some gussets, re-worked the driver's cage, and added some mesh under the seat and behind the driver's head rest. 

I raided the parts bin for a better looking in & out transmission, instead of the kit's hydro box. Some filling work has it acceptable for me.

A bit of time has the body panels fitting nicely. They get painted today, with the last decent weather we can expect for a bit. I'll add those pics later.

Some white primer and topped with some yellow enamel from a Princess Auto spray bomb. The colour is much brighter in real life, my phone kind of washes it out here.

I'll add the chute mounting plate further along in the build. The dropped front axle is a work-in-progress.

My aim was to better replicate the original dragster. I'm happy with the look so far.

Comments always welcome. :)

ME 1.jpg

ME 2.jpg

ME 3.jpg

ME 4.jpg

Edited by restoman
  • Like 6

Before the paint...

I used my Dremel to remove the extra material at the rear roll cage, and spliced in a piece of styrene to replace the upright bar. 

The cross pieces for the firewall and dash mount are styrene rods bent over a candle. I moved the firewall bar back a bit so I could get the firewall to fit flush, like the original dragster, and moved the dash bar forward so that the dash fits under the hood panel. I'll do the firewall in some polished BMF when assembly time comes. I added a mount for the steering box behind the firewall.

The gusset pieces are small wedges of bread clip styrene. It looked to be the right thickness, and the contrasting colour made it easier to see and file for a good fit.

The screen under the seat and behind the driver's head rest is just nylon window sreen set at an angle. Liquid cement holds it well. :)

I modified the front torsion bars for a better look for the front suspension. They're a bit high in their placement, but it'll work.

ME 5.jpg

Edited by restoman
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, restoman said:

I believe it was your build of the kit that got me started down this rabbit hole! Thanks! :)

Haha, I DID fall down that rabbithole....

I saved a bunch of reference pics here, in case they're useful to you: https://public.fotki.com/NewYorkSpeedShop/11-cars/reference-material/mooneyes-dragster/  :)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
12 hours ago, Katsusauce said:

How's this build coming along......

No further than the last post.

Been finishing up a few other kits that have been sitting too long. And then, I got started on a diorama photo prop...

This one should be back on the bench sometime in January. :)

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Back at it...

A lower back injury has pretty much kept me away from the bench for a few months.

But, an hour or two isn't out of the question  now, so I fab'd up a pleated headrest and seat padding with some slices of styrene.

Also did a protective cover for the QC rear. The kit rear was kind of too nice to be covered up, but here it is.

Comments always welcome.

IMG_20230322_152902578.jpg

IMG_20230322_152639909_HDR.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I've been scratch building the front drop axle, and was able to mock up the stance.

Looks good to me.

I swapped out the kit rear wheels for some of Drag City's very nice 16" Halibrands. They look far better, I think. I narrowed the rear axle as well.

Once I'm done the front beam, I should be able to get everything painted and then start on assembly.

Comments always welcome.

IMG_20230405_145511787.jpg

IMG_20230405_145504588.jpg

IMG_20230331_135903530.jpg

• Like 6

• 5 months later...
On 4/12/2023 at 5:06 PM, absmiami said:

can't tell if you have a sit down or standing w bench ...

your back might like a standing level bench a bit more ...

A couple of crushed vertebrae made standing and slightly bending or leaning pretty tricky for quite some time.

My bench was looking pretty lonely... ;)

On 9/29/2023 at 11:00 AM, slusher said:

Looks great!  What brand is your chrome you used?

A-K Super Chrome.

It dulled slightly as it dried. Immediately after spraying it looked like chrome, then dulled a tick to look more like highly polished aluminum.

But I'm happy with it. :)