Model Cars Magazine Forum

Nostalgia Fuel Dragster--Blower Manifold (01/28/23)

Wonderful paint job Daniel, a lot of time invested for such small pieces but it was worth it!  I've been away for a while, but I can see that you've been busy and that this fantastic project is progressing well. 😊

I hope to be back in the next few weeks, as I really miss this hobby and am inspired by your passion.  Sorry I've been so quiet lately, but the cold weather is sure to bring me back to my den! 😉

11 hours ago, AmericanMuscleFan said:

Wonderful paint job Daniel, a lot of time invested for such small pieces but it was worth it!  I've been away for a while, but I can see that you've been busy and that this fantastic project is progressing well. 😊

I hope to be back in the next few weeks, as I really miss this hobby and am inspired by your passion.  Sorry I've been so quiet lately, but the cold weather is sure to bring me back to my den! 😉

Ah, Francis! Good to hear from you. Thank you, my friend. It was some work, but, I am very happy with the result! Like you, painting isn't my favorite thing. I know that summer is your busy season, but, we'll be looking forward to the resumption of your work. Thanks for checking in!

• Like 1

Work continues on the headers. I made the "ties" from brass channel. Some headers use a strap welded down each side of the tubes. Others use these kind of boxy units. Once they were drilled, it was necessary to file the openings at an angle, to better fit the headers. The brackets/"ties" aren't soldered, yet. Since these photos were taken, I have fixed the problem that was causing the flange to bend. I also used a 1/32" end mill to open the holes in the donuts that will mount the temp sensors. I'll insert and solder 1/32" brass tube into those to connect the leads. They're starting to look like Top Fuel headers. Comments are always welcome. Thanks for looking!

DSC_0005cr.jpg

DSC_0009cr.jpg

DSC_0012cr.jpg

DSC_0013cr.jpg

DSC_0018cr.jpg

DSC_0020cr.jpg

DSC_0024cr.jpg

Headers are almost to the point they can be painted--just a few little fixes, to do. I got both sides fitted to the heads. I think they look pretty good! I have to shorten the right-side tie rod add the chute release handles, then--I think--I can mount the body panels! At that point, the wheels and tires can go on. Comments are always welcomed. Thanks for looking!

DSC_0001cr.jpg

DSC_0004cr.jpg

DSC_0007cr.jpg

DSC_0010cr.jpg

DSC_0011cr.jpg

DSC_0012cr.jpg

DSC_0015cr.jpg

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Snake45 said:

Absolutely fabulous! HELLA well done and model on! B)

Thank you, Snake! I must be doing something right. I took it to a show, today, because they had a WIP category. It won Best In Show, and their Best-Engineered award! I guess it's all downhill, from here! 😄

3 hours ago, Bills72sj said:

All of your work is very impressive.

I appreciate that, Bill. Thanks! It's quite a fun journey.

Edited by Straightliner59

From a comp car guy ----CONGRATULATIONS Daniel!!    Best in show very very nice, but best engineered is really something to write home about.  Both awards are a fitting tribute to your preserverence, enginuity and overall modeling prowess!    Extremely well done my friend!!!!

On 11/18/2022 at 3:55 AM, Straightliner59 said:

I have been using HO scale model railroad handrail stanchions for rod ends, for many years. The tie rod on this dragster is in three sections. Therefore, it needs two joints to make it work. Two handrail stanchions wasn't going to work--it would look ridiculous! Unless! I mounted one in a pin vise, and clamped it in the mill vise, and milled half the ball off the end. That looked promising, so I tried another...

DSC_0001cr.jpg

DSC_0002cr.jpg

DSC_0007cr.jpg

Daniel, thank you for the tip on HO hand rail stanchions. I'd never heard of these before, but they're the perfect solution for 1/24 scale tie rod ends, etc. On Saturday I ordered up a set of Cal Scale part #190-604, through Nitro Hobbies of New Jersey. These areon ebay. Delivered to me in California this afternoon. That's the good news. Bad news, I'll have to order up an electron microscope to get a better look at them! 😄 They're tiny, and they're great! And you machined them.........mind boggling.

-TIM-

On 10/22/2023 at 6:01 PM, Ian McLaren said:

From a comp car guy ----CONGRATULATIONS Daniel!!    Best in show very very nice, but best engineered is really something to write home about.  Both awards are a fitting tribute to your preserverence, enginuity and overall modeling prowess!    Extremely well done my friend!!!!

Thanks, my friend! I do appreciate the Best Engineered award. It feels like I've done a fair amount of it, here, for sure!😃 I appreciate your advice and information, along the way, as well. Thanks again, Ian!

On 10/22/2023 at 6:32 PM, bobthehobbyguy said:

Nicely done. All the work put into this model is impressive. Congratulations on well deserved awards.

I appreciate that, Bob! Thank you.

20 hours ago, Daddyfink said:

Congratulations! Glad all of your hard work is properly recognized. Well done! 

Thanks, Jesse! I appreciate it. You've been watching this thing, for a long dang time!

11 hours ago, Hoffman said:

Daniel, thank you for the tip on HO hand rail stanchions. I'd never heard of these before, but they're the perfect solution for 1/24 scale tie rod ends, etc. On Saturday I ordered up a set of Cal Scale part #190-604, through Nitro Hobbies of New Jersey. These areon ebay. Delivered to me in California this afternoon. That's the good news. Bad news, I'll have to order up an electron microscope to get a better look at them! 😄 They're tiny, and they're great! And you machined them.........mind boggling.

-TIM-

Tim, you're welcome. I'm glad you find them useful, too! They're awesome! I see some of the tiny stuff guys are machining, and thought, "Hell, I should be able to machine one side off of these, pretty easily." I think I still ruined a couple of them!😅

14 hours ago, GoatGuy said:

It's been too long since I was on the forum, and to see the results of your build and well deserved awards was worth the time. Congratulations !!!

Dave

Thank you, Dave! I still haven't taken it apart to do more work on it. I have been working some on parts that don't need to have the car apart--yet!😃 I really can see the light at the end of this tunnel!

4 hours ago, John B. said:

I just saw the video of the Mile High Open on YouTube - congratulations on you award; it was well-deserved!

Thanks, John! Did you see when I dropped the first plaque? D'oh! At least the glass didn't break.😄 They put on a nice inaugural event!

15 hours ago, absmiami said:

is it done  ??

post some photos of the beast on a neutral background so I can "BeCassa" it  ...

I will be honored to do that, once it's finished. I still have a few things to do, before I can permanently mount the wheels/tires and the body. Once that's done, I will need to finishe the top of the engine, and fuel system. I'm shooting for the end of the year. Thank you, Andy!

With this level of exquisite fabrication and detailing there's always a few things to do. Knock down items from the punch list and a few more pop up.

Hang in there Daniel, the finish line is now in sight.

Hoping you will set up "showroom" pictures with good background and lighting. This marvel deserves a spectacular unveiling.

16 hours ago, Pierre Rivard said:

With this level of exquisite fabrication and detailing there's always a few things to do. Knock down items from the punch list and a few more pop up.

Hang in there Daniel, the finish line is now in sight.

Hoping you will set up "showroom" pictures with good background and lighting. This marvel deserves a spectacular unveiling.

Pierre, thank you for your kind and encouraging words. It's true, that punch list seems to grow, as we progress! I am working on the blower restraint brackets, currently. I will most certainly shoot the best photos I can, once it's complete! Thanks, again!