Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/12th Scale 69 Camaro Top Sportsman Suspension and chassis jig.

Ian McLaren

Redid the body work on this again and I'm setting it aside for a while to let everything cure and settle, it will need at least one more set of refinements but at least it's getting close. Next on the body will be hinging the drivers door and if that goes well I'll open up the other side as well.  Now it's back to the chassis and the current project is the wheelie bars.  As this is a lower horsepower, heavier, older style Top Sportsman car I'm using a 60" McAmis style bar.  I built a simple jig and will set the bars wheels at nominal 4 to 5 inches of the ground ( this would be the typical starting range for this type of car.  

IMG_0388.JPG

IMG_0391.JPG

IMG_0392.JPG

IMG_0393.JPG

IMG_0394.JPG

IMG_0395.JPG

IMG_0396.JPG

IMG_0397.JPG

IMG_0398.JPG

IMG_0399.JPG

IMG_0400.JPG

• Like 2

Wheelie bar structure fabricated and mounted, clean up detailing and hardware to follow.  Now I can also do the required modifications to the rear valence for clearance for the bars and the parachute lanyard mount to the frame. 

IMG_0402.JPG

IMG_0403.JPG

Edited by Ian McLaren
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Roggan said:

I love this build. Is the frame your own design?

Yes it is Roger, but even though it was custom built for the Camaro body there are influences from  Chris Alston and Tim McAmis.  It has been built as close as possible to the NHRA class rules for this kind of car. Also a couple of friends who currently run Pro Mods in the area have provide invaluable help.

On 2/21/2023 at 5:36 PM, AmericanMuscleFan said:

Nice job so far on the wheelie bars Ian!  Your jig may be simple but you took the time to make one, something I need to take note of for my own build.  I plan on doing a brass frame one of these days as I love this type of Top Sportsman car too much and this type of jig seems to be a must.

Thank you Francis for the kind words.  I build jigs for a couple of reasons. For one thing if I draw it properly it ensures that the final product is straight, level and most importantly symmetrical. The second reason is that they save assembly time by securing the tubes and putting pressure on the joints for easier soldering or gluing (the time saved far out weighs the time spent making the jig). I also keep the jigs as I may need, (for example) another FED chassis and then it's just cut tubes and solder or I could duplicate the same part in plastic for a different project.

Edited by Ian McLaren

I've been thnking about the doors on this thing for a while, it took a few tries and a couple of good rare earth magnets to get it close, It now opens, closes firmly latches and is removable.  It still needs some minor tweeking but they are minor fixes and easily done.

IMG_0429.JPG

IMG_0425.JPG

IMG_0426.JPG

• Like 4

That's great Ian, I really like to see someone take the time to open the doors and make them work on a scale model.  I've only done it once to date (on my pickup) and I intend to do it on the Demon.  The sight of your pictures inspires me my friend!  Making the entire door frame (and door interior) is a lot of work but I think it adds a lot of value to the final product.  I like what I see! 👍

On 3/2/2023 at 8:12 PM, bobthehobbyguy said:

Impressive work so far.

Thanks Bob it's starting to look like how I envisioned it initially, still a long way to go.

On 3/4/2023 at 9:00 AM, AmericanMuscleFan said:

That's great Ian, I really like to see someone take the time to open the doors and make them work on a scale model.  I've only done it once to date (on my pickup) and I intend to do it on the Demon.  The sight of your pictures inspires me my friend!  Making the entire door frame (and door interior) is a lot of work but I think it adds a lot of value to the final product.  I like what I see! 👍

Thanks for the kind words Francis but ironically it was your truck that inspired me to even try to open the doors on this.