Model Cars Magazine Forum

'40 coupes ain't so tough.

customline

I want to apologize right up front. I found this photo while searching for ideas for my Revell  '40 coupe. If it's yours, I'm sorry but I need it to illustrate something. I knew I wanted to chop it a bit but there are many different looks for this car and well, you know.....anyway, I thought it might be interesting to somebody ( you can remain anonymous 🤐 , Michael ) to see the following photos of the steps I took to get a fair chop. It's not finished, it's rough.... but I wanted to get it out there. Maybe I'll finish this one. We'll see. The first picture is one way to do this chop. Not the way I would. I'm not saying my way is right but it worked for me (this time) and, because I am learning as I go, this is in no way a tutorial.

R-25.jpg.bef4be03e0be70e6e1bdc9bebcd7f26a.jpg

Edited by customline
Fixed a goof

26 minutes ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

It's definitely working.   :D

The nice thing about the '40 is the smooth radius of the window moldings. Makes it easier to get a clean chop. This kit came in a bag, bought off Ebay. It's the Street Rod version. No telling where it's going yet. The flathead will not be under the hood. 😉. I have other plans for that.

2 minutes ago, customline said:

Thank you, Greg. I enjoyed doing it. The big question now is " Do I keep the drip rail ?" Gotta do more research (that's what I call looking at pictures of hot rods)

If it was me, I would try to add it back on. Easy to sand it back off if it gets messed up or doesn’t look right. JMO.

1 minute ago, NOBLNG said:

If it was me, I would try to add it back on. Easy to sand it back off if it gets messed up or doesn’t look right. JMO.

Yeah,  I agree.  I just got some Plastruct triangle rod for another job but it may work on this one. My worry is trying to glue it to the Bondo and CA surfaces on the C pillar.  On styrene I will bond it with "welder" but that may not work on polyester. I need to test that. It'll be a tedious operation. Thinking about replacing the running boards with side exhaust from '68 'Vette. Hmmmm.......

Great work on that roof chop. I have an in-progress that looks nearly identical to this. Great minds must think alike 😀
I did my chop a differently to yours and the one in the opening post. I cut the rear screen along with the C pillars and layed them forward. There must be as many ways to chop a top as there are builders.

Now I’m m intrigued to see what you do about the drip rail.

6 hours ago, beeRS said:

Great work on that roof chop. I have an in-progress that looks nearly identical to this. Great minds must think alike 😀
I did my chop a differently to yours and the one in the opening post. I cut the rear screen along with the C pillars and layed them forward. There must be as many ways to chop a top as there are builders.

Now I’m m intrigued to see what you do about the drip rail.

Yeah, the drip rails....I picked up some .030" triangle rod for a side trim mod on a future project that may work for this but will ,no doubt, be testing my resolve. The key to a great custom (kustom) is that it looks like the factory built it; it would have drip rails. In the case of the Ford coupe, the drip rail defines and accentuates the fluid curves of the whole design. With the drip rails shaved off, the coupe takes on a lead-sled look and and my mild chop won't work well in that genre. This is a more contemporary look. My challenge is remaining  consistent throughout the overall look. The right wheel/tire combo, bumpers, paint....I still don't have a firm plan yet. I'm entertaining all ideas and comments. The photo below was found in the ether and appears to be a photo-shopped study that the builder of this 1:1 was using to plan his build. I like it a lot. It totally works.

chop40.jpg.a2d56355e9f2b26b42ab2ea435cf7a07.jpg

3 hours ago, lucky 130 said:

I'm doing a similar chop on a VW and have run into some minor issues, but nothing too awful. I agree Bondo works. I like where you are headed, can't wait for more. Model on. 

A VW Beetle?  That's a chop I would not attempt. The 1:1s I've seen look a bit awkward. The complicated nature of the C pillar/hood scares me off. I have given serious consideration to attempting a chop of the Moebius '47 Aero Sedan, but that's about as difficult as I'm willing to go for now. You are welcome to post pix of your VW here, and that goes for anyone working on a chop. Or maybe post a link. I'm here to learn. Below is a chop I did on the AMT '41 Plymouth Coupe. 

IMG_1704.jpg.2bd706cd91bce75525433d0ab1901fce.jpg

IMG_1799.jpg.842f697a5e87396688969cd032881f9a.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, customline said:

A VW Beetle?  That's a chop I would not attempt. The 1:1s I've seen look a bit awkward. The complicated nature of the C pillar/hood scares me off. I have given serious consideration to attempting a chop of the Moebius '47 Aero Sedan, but that's about as difficult as I'm willing to go for now. You are welcome to post pix of your VW here, and that goes for anyone working on a chop. Or maybe post a link. I'm here to learn. Below is a chop I did on the AMT '41 Plymouth Coupe. 

IMG_1704.jpg.2bd706cd91bce75525433d0ab1901fce.jpg

IMG_1799.jpg.842f697a5e87396688969cd032881f9a.jpg

That chop on the Plymouth sure changes its attitude- looks downright angry (and nice color choice).

6 hours ago, gman said:

That chop on the Plymouth sure changes its attitude- looks downright angry (and nice color choice).

The Plymouth was twice as much fun as the Ford. It started the same way but there were a few "issues". So, yeah, 😠 it's a reflection of my state of mind, apparently 🥴 .  the color is a Boyd's. Looks fantastic out in the sun.

IMG_20210908_095629.thumb.jpg.6e2a27b45a4d1a1290f4cb2926a47957.jpgIMG_20210908_110318.jpg.23732fa786f2712cfcc35a9f611d4a5a.jpgIMG_20210908_131241.jpg.2a5a3c90888797f6a53d08970ed93262.jpgIMG_20210908_122517.jpg.188f94fa2b7573d448a4ad97e61b0273.jpg

Late Edition.....

Got a little more done tonight.  Modified the front spring by removing the retainer so the spring fit further inside the cross member, which was opened up a bit.  There was a significant gain in drop. I may try to get the front wheels inboard a bit more by trimming the wheel "hubs".  Cleaned up parting lines and eliminated the bumper grommets and filled the holes, front and rear. Added rear tag recess. Drilled locating holes and removed the door and trunk handle and tail light locators to facilitate micro-polishing. Removed gas cap boss.  Started chassis construction. The plan, for now, is using the T-Bird engine from the '34 pickup kit (dechromed, of course. ) or possibly a small block ford that's around here somewhere 🤔. About that second pic....it won't be that low.....unless I channel it too 😉

IMG_3154.thumb.jpg.9d6a372c184e01b21378dbc2932953b2.jpg

IMG_3150.thumb.jpg.dde31eaa40a6a47f0668ae2d620624a2.jpgIMG_3158.jpg.1fd430dcd8b04dc8efb1e12373cec7ef.jpgIMG_3160.jpg.d34e4660e5c199d3c123360eae1191e8.jpg

This last picture shows what happens when you install the rear axle incorrectly (upside-down)

IMG_3153.thumb.jpg.735d3b320a0f24e71e5c91126d6962c6.jpg

Edited by customline
Rearranging photos
  • Like 3

Your chop work looks good Jim! I built this kit around three years ago. I converted it to a three window, gave it a three and a half inch chop and three inch section. The only issue I had with it was getting the rear wheels centered. First mockup, it was 3 mms too forward. I moved the crossmember back 3mms. It was 1.5 mms too far back! Moved the crossmember forward 1.5 mms and finally got it right. What I learned from that ordeal was that the placement of the rearend is very sensitive to the angle of the pinion. Some members reported the same issue. Some reported no issue. It's definitely something to get worked out beforehand!