Model Cars Magazine Forum

2023 Cannonball Run-What-You-Brung Build Thread

White Rabbit

Great to see some progress being made on other builds.

Wouldn't say I've started mine, but have done some useful planning this morning......

IMG_3910.JPG.4f092394e5f3f41a2df7ffab41b2a9b1.JPG

Working out how best to convert the Accord Wagon to take the NSX's mid-engine set-up. Helpfully I have the standard Tamiya NSX that I built back in the '90s to work things out, so I don't have to mock-up the new floorpan too much. Grey one is from NSX, black the Accord's.

IMG_3912.JPG.70d25b299a76521cd3c1624aa41e1f1d.JPG

IMG_3911.JPG.21d2341a6df91db4126bf54edd1fcbd8.JPG

Online sources suggest a difference of 7.3" (185mm) between the two, which equates to just under 8mm at 1:24. Using the assembled car I measured similar. I had been looking to graft the Accord's front floorpan onto the NSX's rear end, but it looks simpler to stretch the NSX. I'll make the cut where marked above, which should be easy to recreate with a bit of sheet styrene. I also need to trim off the sides, then the width is just right to slot under the Accord.

The floorpan stretch as I propose will bring the interior and dashboard forwards to the right place relative to the windshield:

IMG_3913.JPG.9a7307e1cdc50b466e7f61a2eab95d19.JPG

IMG_3914.JPG.e147349ab0cdf54c69ce596e310921aa.JPG

The gap between seat backs and engine will open up a bit, but that's no problem and it will give room for me to create some sort of enclosure.

I think I'll use the NSX interior base, plus the LHD dashboard option which Tamiya helpfully include, but with the sides removed and replaced by those from the Accord (on the front doors at least). I have a rollcage from a Tamiya R32 Skyline racer which I'll use, the width and windshield rake are about right. That might donate some appropriate seats too.

IMG_3915.JPG.1f39723f3d638e61c6e47f98aafbc48e.JPG

If it fits like this with no work then I think I should be fine. I really don't want to get into bodywork modifications, and the NSX suspension is giving it a suitably low ride height so I don't have to hack around the delicately detailed components. The most I might do is cut some small vents into the rear doors, below the rubbing strip. The NSX is fairly modest in that regard with a front-mounted radiator, so it doesn't need big vents.

My version of the Accord doesn't have any bodykit options, but with it sitting so low I don't think it needs them and I prefer the low-key standard look, I might just add some form of splitter under the front bumper.

Haven't yet worked out colour or wheel choices. Perhaps a dark metallic blue or green, something quite subtle. Wheel choice will be down to whatever suits the NSX brakes and suspension without too much modification. I suppose I could keep the standard NSX rims for an easy life, but I usually like to swap them.

I've got one more current WIP to finish before I fully launch into this, but it's good to have something to start thinking about when I'm away from the bench.

• Like 5

I would to join in with a 1954 Corvette.  This was going to be the YOB build, but I did not want to commit until I felt I had the time to finish it.  I lost the first part of the year trying to figure out what excited me for 1954.  I finally got it figured out and at the end of October; I thought I was going to have time available, so I started construction.  I thought I would be able to get a basic effort done, but time got away from me.  I am glad I have a chance to revisit it this year, as it was starting to grow on me.

I am starting with the AMT 1955 Corvette.  The main difference between a 1954 and 1955 Corvette is the Blue Flame 6 versus a V-8.  To keep with the spirit of the 1954 Corvette, I am going to put a 6 cylinder in it, but it will be the 2JZ from the AMT Supra.  The 1954 Corvette was offered in Red or White with a red interior or Pennant Blue with a tan or beige interior.  Again, keeping in the spirit of the 1954, I plan to do some kind of blue with tan interior.  With more time available this year, maybe I can add some other touches instead of just an engine/tranny transplant.

Below is the starting point and the current condition,

Start 1.jpg

pile of parts 5.jpg

• Like 5

Our updated entry list:

1. '56 Chevy (426 pack)

2. Chevy Silverado C5R truck (Mattilacken)

3. Chevy Monza 2+2 (MeatMan)

4. '37 Ford Custom Convertible (Jantrix)

5. Delorean DMC-H12 (White Rabbit)

6. Dodge Viper RT/10 (LL3 Model Worx)

7. '70 Plymouth Road Runner (KWT)

8. '61 Ford Falcon (Fat Brian)

9. '68 FRC Chevy Corvette (Whosurdaddy209)

10. '66 Mercury (Sam I Am)

11. '70 1/2 Camaro Z28 or '67 Streaker Vette (JerseeJerry55)

12. '71 Plymouth GTX (Keef)

13. Dodge L-xxx (vekasiini)

14. Honda Accord (Spottedlaurel)

15. Volkswagen Scirocco (Tim08)

16. Chevy Nova SS (53gmc)

17. '62 Buick Electra (Belugawrx)

18. Pontiac Firebird (Beans)

19. El Camino Camper (shoemake)

20. '53 Ford Victoria (Phildauplo)

21. Nissan Skyline NISMO R34 GT-R (Jhedir6)

22. '54 Corvette (kermn8r)

13 hours ago, kermn8r said:

but it will be the 2JZ from the AMT Supra. 

Just a heads up on that 2JZ. I put one in the AMT Pacer wagon for the Cannonball some years ago. You will find the twin turbo set up is plumbed backwards. Some sort of error on the kit designer's part.

I recommend perhaps redesigning the intake for a large singe turbo than the tiny litle ones that come with the kit. 

On 1/24/2023 at 8:13 PM, kermn8r said:

I would to join in with a 1954 Corvette.  This was going to be the YOB build, but I did not want to commit until I felt I had the time to finish it.  I lost the first part of the year trying to figure out what excited me for 1954.  I finally got it figured out and at the end of October; I thought I was going to have time available, so I started construction.  I thought I would be able to get a basic effort done, but time got away from me.  I am glad I have a chance to revisit it this year, as it was starting to grow on me.

I am starting with the AMT 1955 Corvette.  The main difference between a 1954 and 1955 Corvette is the Blue Flame 6 versus a V-8.  To keep with the spirit of the 1954 Corvette, I am going to put a 6 cylinder in it, but it will be the 2JZ from the AMT Supra.  The 1954 Corvette was offered in Red or White with a red interior or Pennant Blue with a tan or beige interior.  Again, keeping in the spirit of the 1954, I plan to do some kind of blue with tan interior.  With more time available this year, maybe I can add some other touches instead of just an engine/tranny transplant.

Below is the starting point and the current condition,

Start 1.jpg

pile of parts 5.jpg

Sounds like a neat build, that’s a lot of motor for that Corvette!

10 hours ago, Westrods said:

I'm in with a Revell '81 Chevy Citation X-11

My dad bought one of those back in my high school days...Igottasay, I hope you're going to do an engine swap...lol

Not much progress on the Electra, I was wandering the aisles in Crappy Tire the other day looking for a colour to lay down on her and thinking, 

what would a '62 Buick look like....saw this 

buick.thumb.jpg.11078672a17dfc35a5183ddef22d1126.jpg

And lo and behold, it matches closely to something on the 1962 Buick colour chart, 

1962buick.500.jpg

Fawn Mist Iridescent......SOLD

January of L-xxx.

I have once built a Linderg L-700. I didn't remember how much work there is in fitting doors, for example.

The cleaning of the parts has started and some parts have been glued. The idea is to build a car as it would have been in 1970. With the "original" V12 engine that Mopar should have made. The frame needs to be lengthened, safety and fuel tanks need to be increased. We will continue in February

20230129_194446.thumb.jpg.5c207e8cb9799486fb72a2576ea466a3.jpg20230129_194427.thumb.jpg.fc37298930f0c4978c6ed128f5fbc035.jpg

• Like 2

On 1/25/2023 at 8:32 AM, Jantrix said:

Just a heads up on that 2JZ. I put one in the AMT Pacer wagon for the Cannonball some years ago. You will find the twin turbo set up is plumbed backwards. Some sort of error on the kit designer's part.

I recommend perhaps redesigning the intake for a large singe turbo than the tiny litle ones that come with the kit. 

Thanks for the heads up. I didn't think it looked right, but wasn't at the point of checking it out more thoroughly. If I were doing this in 1:1, I would go the two turbo concept as it seems to have more tractable power than a single turbo for gonzo power.

8 hours ago, Sam I Am said:

A V12 Hemi ?  Awesome !

I just about have mine buttoned up. Let it thoroughly dry and add a little color to the badges. 

20230129_112809.jpg

Looks great!!  I have never even attempted the 24 build.  I always seem to get to a point where it is either put the model down for at least a day or throw it at the wall.  

Awesome job you did.

22 hours ago, vekasiini said:

January of L-xxx.

I have once built a Linderg L-700. I didn't remember how much work there is in fitting doors, for example.

The cleaning of the parts has started and some parts have been glued. The idea is to build a car as it would have been in 1970. With the "original" V12 engine that Mopar should have made. The frame needs to be lengthened, safety and fuel tanks need to be increased. We will continue in February

20230129_194446.thumb.jpg.5c207e8cb9799486fb72a2576ea466a3.jpg20230129_194427.thumb.jpg.fc37298930f0c4978c6ed128f5fbc035.jpg

The doors suck on those for sure, my kit was missing some hinge parts so i just glued them shut

• Sad 1