Model Cars Magazine Forum

The Gray Baskerville Roadster -an inspiration ***updated 1/28/23***

Rocking Rodney Rat

I had a couple of questions about "fixing" the fit between the body and the fenders. Just to recap, the parts are the Rat Roaster body (essentially the same as the new roadster), firewall and the new roadster interior, mated to standard Revell '32 frame and fenders (from several versions of the series). 

Lining everything up showed a gap between the body and the fenders. This was not even across the whole arc, just in the front. The little strip of plastic inside the wheel well on the body was cut off first (if you look at a body, you'll know what I mean).....

oiyybughbvi.thumb.jpg.22346a163229d98d79ceb39fb0bb1190.jpg

------------------

2118702756_kjnjnjn.thumb.jpg.f74ec2f967e083d86d99143641d81e86.jpg I sanded, scraped, filed etc. off the bead around the opening on the body and then added a strip of 0.040" Evergreen around the opening. This was carefully sanded down to close the gap. Much test fitting and massaging ensued... (sorry for the slightly out of focus pic)...

-------------------

ljhbgvjhgv.thumb.jpg.8df3bc11c71227c11394d80e8fcd4a66.jpg

Next, I glued on a strip of Evergreen half round. It helped to preform the half round a bit by stretching it to form a bit of an arc.......

---------------------------

jhhbbkvkg.thumb.jpg.73d73e7e5ebf3f4aa1add38e78fdd8ad.jpg

I then sanded the half-round down to bring it in to the proper shape....

--------------------------

inlijbnoibh.thumb.jpg.d06e3a1852e2abde1a091ea7cb9c369f.jpg

oiyygiubvigv.thumb.jpg.ce321ae65864b1ae1e2de2d47f3002ec.jpg

A schmear of putty, looks pretty good.....

-----------------------

hbjhbkjbvk.thumb.jpg.d03883186f3c6e90ab7e4a98d03f8cfa.jpg

Some work with 400 to 600 grit sandpaper, gets it here. I left a little extra putty, once I hit it with primer, this will be further sanded down and a few more coats of primer and additional sanding with progressively fine 'paper will dress up the area....

Thanks for checking in..... -RRR

Edited by Rocking Rodney Rat
  • Like 8

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...
Posted (edited)

Well, it's been the better part of a year since I worked on this build. Once I got it painted, the fitment of the fenders to the body was leaving a gap. The driver side has more of a gap than the passenger side (?). I got frustrated with it and threw it in a box. New year, new opportunity. I started fitting and futzing around with this again yesterday...

iblkkjnlkj.thumb.jpg.09004462e8de24f6f8f3f13157003b6c.jpg

sorry for that crappy pic....

------------------

iubilibnjn.thumb.jpg.c3a069ff6adfae234d8db3372146898e.jpg

I glued on a wedge shaped piece to the the bottom of the fender where it meets the frame. This forces the fender up in to the body. I also carefully (since it's already painted) sanded down the fender opening on the body where the fitment was the worst. This seems to have fixed the problem. I did add a small strip on the passenger fender as well to snug it to the body. I painted up the white wedge with the Tamiya Pure Red. It will be hidden by the tire, so it won't be obvious...

Now, let's see if I can throw this together. It's interesting revisiting a build that sat in a box for the better part of a year, as I try to remember how this was all going together... -RRR

Edited by Rocking Rodney Rat
  • Like 6

On 1/1/2024 at 9:19 AM, NOBLNG said:

Looking good there Rodney!😎 When channeling my ‘32, I used a Mr.Hobby paint bottle as a sanding drum.🙂 It worked for me.

https://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/topic/176215-channeling-a-revell-full-fendered-‘32-ford/#comment-2649174

Thanks, I often wrap sandpaper around tires to sand arches such as that, the variety of sizes is helpful... -RRR

• 1 month later...
On 1/1/2024 at 7:10 AM, Rocking Rodney Rat said:

Well, it's been the better part of a year since I worked on this build. Once I got it painted, the fitment of the fenders to the body was leaving a gap. The driver side has more of a gap than the passenger side (?). I got frustrated with it and threw it in a box. New year, new opportunity. I started fitting and futzing around with this again yesterday...

Your build came out great as always.

I'm just mentioning this here in case anyone stumbles upon it while trying to build their own Revell 32 roadster with fenders. People have often asked why Revell never issued the roadster body with fenders, and the reason why is that the body doesn't fit the fender set out of the box. This is because the distance from the front of the body to the beginning of the wheel arch is shorter on one side of the body versus the other. I've measured it with calipers. So, with a little work (like you did on yours) it ca be made to fit, but it's not a drop on fit.