Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell 32 Ford Roadster (New tool)...

SpikeSchumacher

Hi Everyone,

I am well into my OOB build of the new Revell 32 Ford Roadster. Unfortunately, as I was getting to the Duvall windshield assembly stage, I noticed that the frame is seriously warped. I mean it doesn't conform to the cowl, or the windshield at all. So I opened the second kit that I have, and sure enough that one is warped in exactly the same way! 😒

I am not sure I trust myself to try and straighten this myself. Anyone have any suggestions, or is this something that I need to contact Revell about for possible replacements?

TIA, and Cheers

IMG_8312.jpg

IMG_8311.jpg

• Like 2

They're all like this. I think that if you can get the glass glued in securely, it should straighten out the windshield frame. I've been pondering this and I'm thinking some epoxy, carefully applied around the perimeter of the frame (a very small amount of glue on a pin) and then being clamped in, the glass should straighten it out. The trick will be to figure out how to clamp the glass to the frame without scratching the glass and smearing gloo all over it. 

Anyone else have some ideas???? -RRR

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Contact Revell and they will send you a replacement. The below info is quoted from Bob’s (Zippi’s) thread on his Revell ‘29. I too got a replacement for one that was warped.

“I got a response from Revell on my two warped windshields and this is what they had to say.  I replyed to their email to let them know I needed two replacement windshields since they only referred to one.”

Dear Sirs,

we will send the part free of charge to your address.

Shipping information: Shipping time at the moment for USA needs up to 6 weeks

and for all other Countries needs up to 3 week. 

Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Best regards

Claudia Nörenberg

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
i.A. Claudia Nörenberg
Kundenservice/Consumer Service
Tel.: +49 (0) 5223 965 192
Fax: +49 (0) 5223 965 195                        
Email: 
claudia.noerenberg@revell.de
Web: www.revell.de
Revell GmbH
Henschelstr. 
20-30
D-32257 Bünde
Bünde Sitz: Bünde / Amtsgericht Bad Oeynhausen HRB 10158
Geschäftsführer: Stefan Krings

Edited by NOBLNG
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, NOBLNG said:

Contact Revell and they will send you a replacement. The below info is quoted from Bob’s (Zippi’s) thread on his Revell ‘29. I too got a replacement for one that was warped.

“I got a response from Revell on my two warped windshields and this is what they had to say.  I replyed to their email to let them know I needed two replacement windshields since they only referred to one.”

Dear Sirs,

we will send the part free of charge to your address.

Shipping information: Shipping time at the moment for USA needs up to 6 weeks

and for all other Countries needs up to 3 week. 

Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Best regards

Claudia Nörenberg

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
i.A. Claudia Nörenberg
Kundenservice/Consumer Service
Tel.: +49 (0) 5223 965 192
Fax: +49 (0) 5223 965 195                        
Email: 
claudia.noerenberg@revell.de
Web: www.revell.de
Revell GmbH
Henschelstr. 
20-30
D-32257 Bünde
Bünde Sitz: Bünde / Amtsgericht Bad Oeynhausen HRB 10158
Geschäftsführer: Stefan Krings

Thanks Greg! I knew it was an issue in the 29 kits as well (and, yes I have a couple of those as well...), but am surprised it continues to be an issue in this kit too.

Cheers

I've got two of these kit. Once has a warped windshield, the other doesn't.

I drilled a small hole on the underside directly under the center support and inserted a pin. Then I drilled a corresponding hole in the cowl. When I press down gently on the center the windshield then conforms to the cowl, so I think it can be saved.

Nice paint job on yours

Edited by Mr. Metallic
  • Thanks 1

Such a pain to pay $$$$$ for a kit to have this sort of thing to happen. Real pain as I live in New Zealand which is even further away from Revells call centre and when I tried for a replacement part which was supported with a photo they sent me the wrong thing - once bitten etc - but I still end up with unusable kits

Revell needs to sort this sort of issue out as I have two unusable 29 Roadsters with the same issue and I am reluctant to spend NZ$95 for a kit that has this sort of dog droppings in it 

"RANT (sheep) RANT (shina) blah (sh...) blah"

9 hours ago, bill-e-boy said:

Such a pain to pay $$$$$ for a kit to have this sort of thing to happen. Real pain as I live in New Zealand which is even further away from Revells call centre and when I tried for a replacement part which was supported with a photo they sent me the wrong thing - once bitten etc - but I still end up with unusable kits

Revell needs to sort this sort of issue out as I have two unusable 29 Roadsters with the same issue and I am reluctant to spend NZ$95 for a kit that has this sort of dog droppings in it 

I agree with you Bill. It is too bad that their quality control can't catch this during the manufacturing process. But then, if it is a random occurrence, maybe it has something to do with the packing process?

I have sent a request with pic, part #, and kit # to Revell. We will see what happens...

Since I have two of the kits, I may try some of the suggestions above, and use the Rat Roaster windshield frame, which is not bent, on the next version of this kit that I plan on building.

Cheers

10 hours ago, bill-e-boy said:

Holy smokes! That is like $82.00 Canadian! I thought the $56.00 they want here was a lot.😬
Edit: Don’t mean to hijack your thread Mathias…I hope you get the windshield issue solved.

Edited by NOBLNG

Firstly may I say that is a stunningly beautiful paint job, and then can I ask a question not related to the windscreen but about the suspension please?

I am looking at buying this kit but am curious to know what is the rear suspension set up? Is it the typical Revell 4 link as seen in the '29 roadster, the '30 Model A Coupe and the '32 5 window Coupe?

I am looking for a chassis with the original friction shock, transverse spring set up for a couple of builds.

TIA and if this is not allowed please delete, ignore or at least tell me.

Kia Kaha

Kiwi

• Thanks 1

To me, Revell did kind of a poor job on the engineering of this windshield. The frame should have pins underneath on each end and one in the middle with corresponding holes in the cowl. I could see myself easily screwing up trying to get that frame located perfectly without it moving around. If I were going to build this kit, I would do that modification first thing.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Plowboy said:

To me, Revell did kind of a poor job on the engineering of this windshield. The frame should have pins underneath on each end and one in the middle with corresponding holes in the cowl. I could see myself easily screwing up trying to get that frame located perfectly without it moving around. If I were going to build this kit, I would do that modification first thing.

Completely agree.