TooOld

On 3/18/2023 at 1:06 PM, Pierre Rivard said:

Gorgeous!

Thanks Pierre !

On 3/19/2023 at 7:25 AM, MarkJ said:

Very realistic looking. 

Thanks Mark !

On 3/20/2023 at 1:19 AM, Johnny Canuck said:

I've often said to my friends that music is a language I'll never be able to speak but one I will always love to hear spoken.

Please substitute this level of model building for music.

Incredible. A masterpiece. Capolavoro. 

Thanks Johnny !

9 hours ago, TimKustom said:

Solid effort happening here, love the seat! Certainly watching 'cause I want to try out one of these Roadrunners when they come back out. 

Thanks very much Tim , I'd like to do another one too !   Not with "all" of the extra detailing but definitely upgrade the chassis and suspension , the Salvinos body is super nice but the rest of the kit is just a generic copy the original MPC kit .

8 hours ago, CabDriver said:

This is one of your best builds yet Bob…and I was already a fan of your work.

Keep going, it’s looking great!!

Thanks you Jim , I appreciate that !  It's kind of subjective . . . I feel some of my simpler builds are much cleaner and look nicer . 

• Like 1

On 3/24/2023 at 2:35 AM, Straightliner59 said:

Looks great! Keep up the nice work!

Thanks Daniel !

On 3/24/2023 at 1:04 PM, jjsipes said:

Wow! Looks amazing

Thanks much Jason !

On 3/25/2023 at 12:58 AM, sflam123 said:

That looks fantastic!  Great work!

Thank you Stephen !

On 3/24/2023 at 8:02 AM, Pierre Rivard said:

Almost a shame to cover that gorgeous chassis with a body.

Bravo!

Thanks very much Pierre !  I thought about that so I took lots of photos ! :)

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/26/2023 at 5:45 PM, John M. said:

Looking good Bob.

Thanks John !

On 3/27/2023 at 12:42 PM, bytownshaker said:

Looks Fantastic Bob, such clean and detailed build.

I hope Salvino's JR  decides to bring back the Charger Daytona and &0 Cyclone Spoiler.

Thanks very much Edgar !

It's been a couple of weeks since my last update but I've been working on and off getting the body ready for paint . I've read some comments about the rear window/C-pillar being too small or shaped wrong but it looks pretty close to me so I'm not messing with it . There are a few items I do want to work on starting with the front emblem area . 

This photo shows the stock header panel compared to the Salvinos body . It should be a more recessed circle with very little bulge around the circumference . I looked at the MPC body which is completely flat with just a raised line , maybe to locate a decal ?  Also looked at a Monogram body which is just like the stock part shown here but without the bulge , probably wouldn't be much there in 1/25th scale anyways . 

The modification involved sanding the panel smooth and drilling a 5/32" hole . Next I beveled the hole and inserted a disc punched from .030" sheet . Then the panel was finish sanded and polished . 

I also want to do something with the grille , the molded in details are very faint and probably won't show very well after it's been painted . The Charger P.E. set has some nice headlight covers but they're too small so I needed to make my own using styrene sheet and some wire mesh . 

You can see the molded details because of the camera flash , without it they're barely visible .  I punched some headlight covers from .030" sheet and the wire mesh , and also cut some mesh for the center of the grille . The headlight covers aren’t glued here so they're a bit crooked . 

For the front spoiler I'm using the one from the Charger P.E. set . I could have narrowed it but decided not to take a chance of ruining it and just cut some slots so it could be inserted into the valence panel . 

I decided to try something new and make a grille for the valence . The aluminum is from a light weight baking pan and is very easy to cut with an Xacto or scissors . After a little practice and a couple of failed attempts and had a usable screen . 

Here’s the spoiler and screen in place . 

Out back I'm going to make a rear spoiler from the same aluminum so the recessed area in the trunk lid needed to filled . 

I also made the covers (?) for the rear bumper . They turned out okay but aren't shaped correctly so I'll be making another pair . 

After all of that I was finally able to finish sand the body and get some paint on it . This is one mist coat of Tamya TS-23 Light blue followed by one wet coat .  I also have TS-10 French Blue and Model Master Big Bad Blue so I did spoon tests of all three . Outside in the sunlight the Big Bad Blue looks like a perfect match to Petty blue with the French Blue a close second , but inside it's the complete opposite with the Light blue looking the closest to Petty Blue and the others being way too dark .  Just my opinion , I know many will disagree with me . 

Once it dries for a couple of days I'll spray some clear and start applying the decals . 

• Like 1

On 4/7/2023 at 8:09 AM, MarkJ said:

Your work with aluminum is adding such a huge addition to the model. This is truly going to be a one of a kind build to be proud of.

Thanks Mark ! First time using aluminum , definitely a learning curve .

On 4/7/2023 at 8:17 AM, MarkJ said:

Bob, I totally agree with you on the use of the ts-23. To me, it is the  the closest to Petty electric blue. Just my humble opinion.

Thanks again Mark !  I've always thought so too , photos of models painted French Blue look way too dark to my eyes .

On 4/7/2023 at 9:48 AM, Pierre Rivard said:

I'm picking up so many ideas from your amazing build Bob. The way you use baking all pan and mold rivets into it tops it for me. What is that tool with the little gear like wheel?

Wonderful stuff, all of it!

Thanks Pierre !  The aluminum is surprisingly easy to work with , it bends so easily it's easy to screw up .  That tool is called a Pounce Wheel , I think they're used to transfer paper patterns onto other material (like dress making etc...).  I bought a set on Amazon and the largest one makes that line of rivets in my pic , great for aircraft but limited use on cars . Here's a link :

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00M0KQ7RI/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

Edited by TooOld