Model Cars Magazine Forum

1950 Ford Pickup

Finished this build this morning.  This was the Monogram kit I bought off eBay a while back.  Fun build but like all my builds it didn't come without some issues.  Paint was airbrushed with Tamiya acrylic X-4 Blue thinned with Mr. Color Leveling Thinner.  I cleared it with Tamiya X-22 Clear.  After wet sanding I went over the body with Meguiar's Mirror Glaze Fine-cut cleaner and then it was polished with Meguiar's Ultimate Liquid Wax.  The wheels & tires came from the Monogram 1937 Ford Sedan kit.  The 312 "Y" block engine was donated from a good online friend.  The suspension was lowered with a little California rake.  The base coat on the bed was painted with a custom blend of FolkArt Raw Lumber and Anita's Gloss Black.  It was then dry brushed with the Anita's Gloss Black trying to bring out the grain.  I was going for a Black Walnut.    

WIP:  http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/topic/177579-1950-ford-pickup/

20230118_113054.jpg

20230118_105647.jpg

20230118_105818.jpg

20230118_112749.jpg

20230118_112804.jpg

20230118_112811.jpg

20230118_112819.jpg

20230118_112828.jpg

20230118_112859.jpg

20230118_112921.jpg

20230120_084502.jpg

20230120_085010.jpg

20230118_113529.jpg.9eebc2bf07f77c1a1b61f229bf81493d.jpg

Edited by Zippi
  • Like 6

15 minutes ago, Joe Nunes said:

Very nice model!  The color choice fits the era and the dark bed wood is a great touch that goes well with the overall look of the pickup.  Well done! 👍

Joe

Thanks Joe.  I thought it came out pretty good.  Great kit.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Dennis Lacy said:

I like it! Stance is right-on and the Boyds wheels were a great choice. 

The full scale ‘50 that I mentioned my dad having in your build thread was a very similar shade of blue. 

Thanks Dennis.  I thought the wheels & tires worked out nicely on this build. 

7 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Very nice...but the distributor's in the back on a Y-block.  :D

Thanks Bill.  That engine was sent to me by friend and I could have sworn it said 312 on the bag.  I did swap out the intake and carb for the two 4 barrel setup.  Maybe I'll just call it a 302.

1 hour ago, Zippi said:

Thanks Bill.  That engine was sent to me by friend and I could have sworn it said 312 on the bag.  I did swap out the intake and carb for the two 4 barrel setup.  Maybe I'll just call it a 302.

I hope it doesn't seem I'm picking on you; it's a great looking model anyone would be proud of.

Far as the engine goes, the exhaust port configuration is consistent with a Y-block (port spacing like a SB Chevy, rather than evenly spaced like the majority of Fords), so calling it a 302 doesn't work either.

Again...it's a fine model, so probably best not to sweat it. Who knows? It could be a one-off experimental Ford engine.  :D

Love the semi weathered grey wood of the box. Looks sort of not really worn and weather beaten but not freshly stained and varnished either.  Middle of the ground like a truck that is driven but not worked hard. 

Edited by Tcoat

2 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

I hope it doesn't seem I'm picking on you; it's a great looking model anyone would be proud of.

Far as the engine goes, the exhaust port configuration is consistent with a Y-block (port spacing like a SB Chevy, rather than evenly spaced like the majority of Fords), so calling it a 302 doesn't work either.

Again...it's a fine model, so probably best not to sweat it. Who knows? It could be a one-off experimental Ford engine.  :D

👍

8 minutes ago, Tcoat said:

Love the semi weathered grey wood of the box. Looks sort of not really worn and weather beaten but not freshly stained and varnished either.  Middle of the ground like a truck that is driven but not worked hard. 

Thanks Tony.