Model Cars Magazine Forum

Have you ever had one of those projects that just seems to drag on and on. Well this was one of them. I spent a lot of time drilling out holes, filing things to fit, adding pins and waiting over night for glue to dry. This was an early Italeri kit and the engineering was...well...not as good as their current kits.  And being 1/16 scale meant that everything important had to fit. Big scale kits  are like that. But it is done now  (sigh!!) and for the most part I am pleased with the results. Color on this one is Splash SP-059 Rosso Scuderia.  Clear is 2K.  Model particulars are in the captions. Thanks for looking. 

DSC07936.JPG.2857ecc43dbc0120b3bdd7ab8832d0e6.JPG

Engine on this kit was fairly well detailed and fit. Rear suspension...not so much. I added some wiring and hoses.

DSC07937.JPG.d097e19ca44558ccb49ed396f74c8785.JPG

All done and ready to race. The overall stance and look of the model came out well.DSC07940.JPG.c26fd3f46b8fb9d1f0871910505999e7.JPG

The rear deck on this kit gave me the most problems.  It fit but tended to spring apart.  Locater tabs and pins were required. There are two small handmade latches for the fenders and two more pins on the rear. Another u-shaped clip on the other side was needed as well. The glass fit well but that was about it. 

DSC07941.JPG.e42ebfb19de0e6495fe1768b16aed769.JPG

Drivers side view. That tiny clip is just behind the rear tires. Wheel centers were sprayed flat metallic grey.

DSC07943.JPG.6637757c72fba88e55eeb2c2c6102976.JPG

Doors open and close quite nicely thanks to some magnets. One can be seen on the lower door sill. just push them closed and they fit with a satisfying "snick"  Interesting feature of this kit is the wheels steer through the steering wheel. Interior is kinda sparse so I added seatbelts and some wires and hoses.

DSC07948.JPG.15b79c03e05f42fd2dc73dd660d62af1.JPG

Front cover opens and there is some nice detail here. Getting that hinge glued in place and working was a real challenge.  Front cover rests oon two square pins in the bodywork just in front of the door.  The plastic in this kit was brittle and a lot of the delicate body pieces broke and had to be re-inforced. That included those square pins which were replaced with  square styrene rod and with metal centers. Thanks for looking. Comments welcome. 

• Like 7

Well done, Rich - seems that this kit gave you some obstacles you had to overcome in getting it finished.                                                                                                                                                                                        (I have the 1/24 version from Italeri in my stash - after the troubles I had with my street F40, I think I will not cut open the engine cover.)

On 1/28/2023 at 1:48 AM, Bruce Scully said:

This is a nice looking build , well done .

Thank you Bruce

On 1/28/2023 at 7:47 AM, Turbo95187 said:

Beautiful as always Rich.

Brett...come see it in person sometime. 

On 1/28/2023 at 8:31 AM, 1959scudetto said:

Well done, Rich - seems that this kit gave you some obstacles you had to overcome in getting it finished.                                                                                                                                                                                        (I have the 1/24 version from Italeri in my stash - after the troubles I had with my street F40, I think I will not cut open the engine cover.)

Thank you Helmut.  The early Italeri kits had some problems. That may be a wise decisiion. 

On 1/28/2023 at 8:32 AM, TonyK said:

Glad you stuck with this and got it done. Looks great!

Thank you Tony.  With some kits, perserverance is a necessity. 

On 1/28/2023 at 8:34 AM, Gramps46 said:

Another outstanding Ferrari build by Rich.   Incorporates his now tradmark pins, clips, poseable wheels, and magnets.

Thanks Gary, those fixes come in handy when working on a really tough kit. 

On 1/28/2023 at 9:30 AM, Pierre Rivard said:

Rich, despite the many issues with the kit it has come out of your "atelier" looking mighty fine. You have achieved beautiful paint finishes and figured out ways to secure all these recalcitrant body panels. Big scale stuff can be unforgiving but you have nailed it!

Bravo!

A big Thank you Pierre.  It was worth the effort in the end. 

On 1/28/2023 at 10:19 AM, Jim B said:

Very nice looking Ferrari.

Thank you

13 hours ago, Paul Waymouth said:

Great job on this, looks a beauty. You need some serious shelf space working in this scale tho eh!

Thanks Paul. I have 11 custom built display cases that hold 50+ years of building. Each case holds  80-120 pieces depending on the size.  I build 1/24, 1/20, 1/16, 1/12 and a few other odd sizes. When I run out of room I have enough material to build a 12th case.  After that...well ....

12 hours ago, Bugatti Fan said:

Rich, your perseverance has paid off! Very nice model.

Thank you

• 1 year later...

That's a gorgeous build there! I've actually just got this one in after finding it on eBay for pretty cheap. It was semi started and in really rough condition. The A and B pillars were broke and soon upon trying to repair them, the C pillar broke as well. The other issue was that the kit didn't have its directions anymore. 

Would you be able to hook me up with the directions from your kit, digitally?

18 hours ago, ferrari87 said:

That's a gorgeous build there! I've actually just got this one in after finding it on eBay for pretty cheap. It was semi started and in really rough condition. The A and B pillars were broke and soon upon trying to repair them, the C pillar broke as well. The other issue was that the kit didn't have its directions anymore. 

Yes...I would.  Just got done moving and am currently sorting all my directions. I save all of them plus all the box art. My new digs have a lot more room so I am better organized.  I can PM them to you if you are  in the mail portion of this forum. 

On 1/27/2023 at 6:34 PM, Rich Chernosky said:

Have you ever had one of those projects that just seems to drag on and on. Well this was one of them. I spent a lot of time drilling out holes, filing things to fit, adding pins and waiting over night for glue to dry. This was an early Italeri kit and the engineering was...well...not as good as their current kits.  And being 1/16 scale meant that everything important had to fit. Big scale kits  are like that. But it is done now  (sigh!!) and for the most part I am pleased with the results. Color on this one is Splash SP-059 Rosso Scuderia.  Clear is 2K.  Model particulars are in the captions. Thanks for looking. 

That's an awesome F40 build Rich! I am a huge F40 nerd. I have a couple of them to build and have always wondered about this offering.

On 3/23/2024 at 9:50 AM, ferrari87 said:

Justin I think I was watching that auction as well. I have a couple different F40 kits including Italeri's 24th scale version so couldn't justify adding another to the list to build. The price was definitely right! Nice score. It looks like if you can get the body straightened out it'll build up to a nice Ferrari!

Edited by Toast