Model Cars Magazine Forum

It’s on! For those of you who would like to see the 1971/1972 MPC Plymouth Road Runner re-issued. Now is your chance to let them know!

drksd4848

Wow, I didn’t realize there was so little love for the Monogram Satellite.  I just remember there being a lot more detail in the interior, on the undercarriage and under the hood vs the MPC kit. I also felt that in the front end where the under panel meets the fender had slightly better proportions. The knocks I would give it were I didn’t like that the Tail lights were molded into the chrome bumper, and the grill insert should’ve been a separate plastic piece like it was in the MPC. Also, I did find that the MPC kit was more fun to build. Plus MPC had the 72 which trumps all. 

I’m pretty confident though that if/when Round2 does reissue it they’ll make a lot of improvements over the original release.  (I also feel pretty confident now that they *will* reissue it at some point. It just may take a little time because all the tooling is going to have to be made from scratch – which is much easier to do now with all the 3-D printing that they’re doing.)

The original Monogram '71 "Satellite" has the correct door cards for a Road Runner (and base Satellite) models. When that kit was modified into the '71 GTX 440 Six Barrel in 1994, the interior tub changed to the correct-for-GTX-and-Satellite-Sebring et al. door cards, plus the 'GTX' badge on the dash, and a Tuff-Grip steering wheel. Likewise, the bonnet changed to the Air Grabber, and the great-for-the-time Six Barrel intake & decently-detailled Holley 2300's; underhood details were also added (wiper motor "bulge").

Between the single plane intake manifold and the aftermarket air cleaner, and the horrid exhaust (moulded-on to the rear axle assembly none-the-less), its finer points become diminished. 
True, however, that the exhaust could be easily modified to represent the 'N97' Noise Reduction Package which many California-market cars were shod with.

I've got one of the yellow Revell Boxing GTX car, and three of the Brown '71 Satellite kits.

I like them and have been meaning to build one for years. I just realized that I bought the Yellow Revell GTX new. It has been sitting in my stash for close to 28 years!!!

If they re-issue it, No matter what year they make (and I desperately hope it’s the 1972.  Plus that seems like the model that everyone prefers) I hope they make it with the standard hood with the raised “Cs” not the air grabber. Or at least give us the option to use either one.

The best would be if they included parts to make either year, but that would be a lot of leftover spare parts.

BTW I remember hearing that a real actual super bird like the scale model was in the works for model year ‘71, but NASCAR killed it. 

Definitely in for a 71/72 GTX-RR! They can make one kit for both years with interchangeable grilles and both rear bumper/taillights. An updated chassis/ interior and engine/engine compartment would be the winner! It was mentioned the 71 Charger can be modified for an accurate up to date Plymouth.

Edited by BobbyG
  • Like 1

I have to say, I kind of hope they *don’t* reissue this as a craftsman, curbside, or whatever kit. Give me an engine please.   And they really shouldn't have re-issue it promo style because most of the internal guts are on the shelf thanks to the ‘74 Road Runner re-issue.  Not every part needs to be retooled.  Many can be borrowed. Right?

But if that’s what we get – promo style – then thats what we get I suppose.  No right to complain… if they actually do reissue one kit that hasn't seen the light of day in over 50 years, and the other in 36 years. 

51 minutes ago, drksd4848 said:

I have to say, I kind of hope they *don’t* reissue this as a craftsman, curbside, or whatever kit. Give me an engine please. And they really shouldn't have re-issue it promo style because most of the internal guts are on the shelf thanks to the ‘74 Road Runner re-issue. Not every part needs to be retooled. Many can be borrowed. Right?

Most of the time no. Not with any ease anyways. The older tooling is not at all designed to be modular, so you would most likely have to run the entire rest of the 74 kit to get the parts you'd want to borrow. That's a huge waste of time and plastic since it's an entire process to take out a tooling and re-rack in another one to make a singular item.

Edited by niteowl7710
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, niteowl7710 said:

Most of the time no. Not with any ease anyways. The older tooling is not at all designed to be modular, so you would most likely have to run the entire rest of the 74 kit to get the parts you'd want to borrow. That's a huge waste of time and plastic since it's an entire process to take out a tooling and re-rack in another one to make a singular item.

Indeed, remember a conversation with one of the original Kat's where he said that the '90s issued '70 Coronet kit was the most expensive to run, because it was in part left-over Mpc annual, combined with the then recent Amt 68-69 Plymouth Roadrunner/GTX tool.

Edited by Luc Janssens

4 hours ago, Luc Janssens said:

Indeed, remember a conversation with one of the original Kat's where he said that the '90s issued '70 Coronet kit was the most expensive to run, because it was in part left-over Mpc annual, combined with the then recent Amt 68-69 Plymouth Roadrunner/GTX tool.

Sounds like you’re saying that kit was a hodge-podge of different kits made into one?  That’s what made it expensive?

1 hour ago, drksd4848 said:

Sounds like you’re saying that kit was a hodge-podge of different kits made into one?  That’s what made it expensive?

I wouldn't call it a hodge-podge. They had existing tooling that they were able to combine together to make a new variant. It's expensive because they had to run two full sets of tooling through the machines to get one kit on the shelf.

• Like 1

Ah…  Gotcha. Well, the important thing is to get it in a box and on the shelf for purchase, so if it has to be a curbside, so be it. And if that also allows it to be made so you can build a 71 and a 72, even better.

Hell, I’d almost be willing to send them my 1987 ‘71 reissue with the Modelhaus ‘72 resin parts and say “Clone this!”

Edited by drksd4848

I see a lot of people wanting a "2 in" kit with both '71 and '72 parts. Front bumper/grille , back bumper and tail lights. 

Just want to point out, and it wouldn't really be a big deal but the pan under the rear bumper is different between '71 and '72 also. 

Don't know if anyone caught that or not.

1 hour ago, Can-Con said:

I see a lot of people wanting a "2 in" kit with both '71 and '72 parts. Front bumper/grille , back bumper and tail lights. 

Just want to point out, and it wouldn't really be a big deal but the pan under the rear bumper is different between '71 and '72 also. 

You are correct -- different valance on the '72. The original MPC annuals - 1971, 1972, and 1973-1974 - have a separate piece anyhow. 

4 hours ago, Can-Con said:

So, lets see the parts variations:

- rear bumper, tail lights

- valance panel

- front grill piece

- either hood would work. The airgrabber came with the ‘71 original and reissue. ‘72 came with stock.  It’d be neat if both are included. Not sure about the rest of you, but I’d much rather prefer stock (72 version) 

There are some variations with decals, but that shouldn't be too big of a deal. It’s just decals.

The only other sticking point I see is the body itself with the side markers.  Since the 71 side markers are segmented and slightly larger than the 72s, I say resolve them with decals as well. (Although getting them in the exact right spot would be a pain.). And one other thing that I’m sure some people know: the front header panel had a slight variation with the makers mark. 71 was molded into the body (I’m talking about the actual car) the 72 was a chrome piece. That is one I don’t know how to resolve, because at that point you’re getting into the weeds and it would be adding to overhead cost of the kit. 

The other thing I now realize: 72 body had the running bird etched in between the door and the rear fender. You have to get rid of that… and resolve it with a decal. If anyone at Round2 needs to consult me, send a PM. 😃