Model Cars Magazine Forum

modeling stuff to do / see during a US visit

eran_k

Hey guys,

going to visit the US in July, i'll be a week on the east coast mainly NY and Philly area

then flying to Vegas and driving from there to SF

would love to visit some shows or any other events related to the hobby (or to cars in general) along the way 

any suggestions?

Eran

there are not a lot of hobby stores in the general area that deals with models. there is a hobbytown in toms river nj.  they are ok with decent stuff, but they dont focus on models. its not worth the trip all the way there if you are in the cities of philly or manhanttan. its not really close to either. there are a ton of hobby lobby in the area. they have model stuff with sales of 40% off every couple of weeks. again though, its not a model focus, and it will be just 1 aisle of models for revell and amt brands. 

if you were into rc cars, there are a ton of places for that. 

1 hour ago, MrMiles said:

there are not a lot of hobby stores in the general area that deals with models. there is a hobbytown in toms river nj.  they are ok with decent stuff, but they dont focus on models. its not worth the trip all the way there if you are in the cities of philly or manhanttan. its not really close to either. there are a ton of hobby lobby in the area. they have model stuff with sales of 40% off every couple of weeks. again though, its not a model focus, and it will be just 1 aisle of models for revell and amt brands. 

if you were into rc cars, there are a ton of places for that. 

Thanks, I'm not particularly after hobby shops, i know where to get kits & stuff.

more looking for shows, swap meets, real car shows and such along the way.

• 4 weeks later...

eran_k,  If you are model hunting in the USA, check out the antique malls in your area you are staying, Also, local Estate sales, automotive swap meets, flea markets and church sales. Contact local model clubs in your visiting area and find out when they meet, time, date, location, etc. Most guys will bring their extra stuff from their stashes to peddle for cash. Ask the hobby shops if they know of any collectors selling their collections. Keep the faith, you will find something I'm sure of it! When you have no leads, go freestyle like on "American Pickers". Ask the local people about the areas you are going into for your safety. They also know the good cheap places to eat! Good luck in your hunt!

17 minutes ago, paul alflen said:

eran_k,  If you are model hunting in the USA, check out the antique malls in your area you are staying, Also, local Estate sales, automotive swap meets, flea markets and church sales. Contact local model clubs in your visiting area and find out when they meet, time, date, location, etc. Most guys will bring their extra stuff from their stashes to peddle for cash. Ask the hobby shops if they know of any collectors selling their collections. Keep the faith, you will find something I'm sure of it! When you have no leads, go freestyle like on "American Pickers". Ask the local people about the areas you are going into for your safety. They also know the good cheap places to eat! Good luck in your hunt!

Thanks Paul, im not looking to buy lots of models, more to visit shows, events etc...(for real cars too)

OK Eran, then peruse estate sales for people's personal vehicles! For sure do the Imperial Palace Collection in Las Vegas if it is still there. Lots of vehicles for sale in there. Sorry, I processed it about models instead of real cars! I must have models on the Brain.

Edited by paul alflen
English use

Once you are in the Bay Area if you have the time and a car I'd suggest driving south a bit on the 101. In Danville there's the Blackhawk Collection which is pretty amazing and the location is crazy, in a swanky upscale shopping center. Then drive a bit more towards Santa Cruz and in Scotts Valley visit the Canepa collection. It's a can't miss (museum upstairs, cars for sale downstairs, and the restoration shop in back-there's an overlook of the shop from the museum) and a lot of guys that go to the NNL West take a day trip there the day before the show. I kind of remember a very good hobby shop in the San Jose area. Get a good cheap lunch/dinner at an In 'N Out Burger while in CA, order a double double animal-style. No matter what you are interested in there is plenty to do in that area (like drive further south to Monterey and hit part of Hwy. 1 through Big Sur). Northern Bay Area across the Golden Gate there's wine country. Maybe on your way from Vegas to SF drive west to pick up Hwy. 1 north of Santa Barbara for a spectacular drive up to the Bay Area from the south...check to make sure the road is open as sometimes a rock slide can close the highway.

Edited by Zoom Zoom

On 3/16/2023 at 6:43 AM, Zoom Zoom said:

Once you are in the Bay Area if you have the time and a car I'd suggest driving south a bit on the 101. In Danville there's the Blackhawk Collection which is pretty amazing and the location is crazy, in a swanky upscale shopping center. Then drive a bit more towards Santa Cruz and in Scotts Valley visit the Canepa collection. It's a can't miss (museum upstairs, cars for sale downstairs, and the restoration shop in back-there's an overlook of the shop from the museum) and a lot of guys that go to the NNL West take a day trip there the day before the show. I kind of remember a very good hobby shop in the San Jose area. Get a good cheap lunch/dinner at an In 'N Out Burger while in CA, order a double double animal-style. No matter what you are interested in there is plenty to do in that area (like drive further south to Monterey and hit part of Hwy. 1 through Big Sur). Northern Bay Area across the Golden Gate there's wine country. Maybe on your way from Vegas to SF drive west to pick up Hwy. 1 north of Santa Barbara for a spectacular drive up to the Bay Area from the south...check to make sure the road is open as sometimes a rock slide can close the highway.

All good suggestions with an exception on road conditions on Hwy1. May not be open between Morro Bay and north into Sur or Carmel and Monterey due to recent weather events.