Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/12 MFH Essex Wire 427 Cobra

The  aluminum  rims supplied in kit look great for a show car,but not so realistic for a race car.   Dulled  rims  by scuffing with a red 3m scuff pad  and with a Q-tip  rubbed some Brass Black on rims and quickly wiped off with a paper towel.

IMG_0370 (1).JPG

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Pierre Rivard said:

These MFH kits intimidate me a bit but I love looking how you work it through.

Rims look super. What does Brass Black do? It tarnishes the metal?

thanks for all  the comments and positive  feedback.     To be honest, i don't   know what  Brass Black  is used for normal use.  It  is a mild  acid  and  when applied to brass it will turn it black.   I  built  a 1/8  scale  Gurney Eagle engine   model kit  a while back  and the kit  supplied brass  bolts.  Another  modeler  suggested  Brass Black  for the bolts . Gave the bolts  a  black metal look.   Not  really intended for aluminum  and was an experiment  that went  ok.  the  wheel  inserts  are painted with  Mr Metal Color  iron 212  and rubbed  with a paper towel after paint has dried.  it will make the edges  a bit shiney.

IMG_0372.JPG

Edited by 65slotcar
  • Like 4

i skipped  ahead a couple steps  to finish the dash.  the kit comes with clear plastic lens for the gauges.  they didn't look so good when installed so i went with something i have tried before.   a 2 part clear resin  by  Art Resin.   drys  super  slow and  easy to work  with. 

IMG_0373.JPG

Edited by 65slotcar
  • Like 3

a small  update  and some advice.  Not  a big deal, but the kit does not come with lower radiator (pipe)  hose.   I made one and wasn't to hard.  If i would have know  before hand  i would have made hose and installed before i glued  engine to chassis.   If not  , prepare for some f-bombs  like i dropped.

IMG_0377.JPG

IMG_0380.JPG

Edited by 65slotcar
  • Like 2

• 4 months later...

This looks great!!! I built one a little while ago. They are fun. Watch the right front suspension. When you put the body on the wheel/ tire seems to sit too far back. Best to check now . I had to fix mine. Hope you do not have the same problem. Just a heads up. 

• 4 weeks later...