Model Cars Magazine Forum

What is the ONE model kit that you would consider the “holy grail” for yourself?

I actually found a Holy Grail that I'd been watching for for a long time and as it happens, ended up with three. It is the Otaki 1/24th Porsche 911. I kept an eye on them on eBay for years, but they were always too rich for my blood. Back in the COVID days, I was laid up and came across one sitting at $20 and put it on the watch list. No one seemed to notice it and I got it for $20 plus shipping. A few months later, I got another in the same sort of situation, and then finally found one with a little damage for $10. I consider myself lucky!

I'm not sure how many were in this series but any of these . I like that it came with an obscure to me vehicle , a scooter and people and things those people would use for the activity . The first one I ever saw was on ebay last year but I missed it . 

183824-12854-pristine.jpg

• Like 3

On 2/4/2024 at 10:34 AM, randx0 said:

I'm not sure how many were in this series but any of these . I like that it came with an obscure to me vehicle , a scooter and people and things those people would use for the activity . The first one I ever saw was on ebay last year but I missed it . 

I love the van and the scooter. Didn't even know this one existed, and now I really want one! If only they'd reissue it at an affordable price.

On 3/4/2023 at 3:47 PM, JollySipper said:

The Bandai/Entex 1/16 Porsche 906............ Never had one, but I've drooled over the kit while studying it online.

porschekit.jpg.9b4afcb0abf899d98e82b8d6e1cd2ecb.jpg

Guys! You're never gonna believe this! Well, you might since I have pics..... :P

I was able to add this kit to the to-do pile over the weekend! I ordered it Thursday and got it today, Tues. The release I have here is actually from Imai, but it's the same as the Bandai/Entex kit..... Complete with decals and instructions, still in it's bags! I can die now and feel complete, though I'd like to build the thing first.....

SDC10943.JPG.4e9997463e3ddd433305d5ea011caf55.JPG

SDC10944.JPG.ed3674f7615c58dacc937049cfb36bdf.JPG

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JollySipper said:

Guys! You're never gonna believe this! Well, you might since I have pics..... :P

I was able to add this kit to the to-do pile over the weekend! I ordered it Thursday and got it today, Tues. The release I have here is actually from Imai, but it's the same as the Bandai/Entex kit..... Complete with decals and instructions, still in it's bags! I can die now and feel complete, though I'd like to build the thing first...

Congrats. I've watched a couple of those over the years, but when the bidding got into stupid-money territory, I dropped out.

Nice score. Very nice indeed.    :D

• Thanks 1

On 2/4/2024 at 4:34 PM, randx0 said:

if your not worried about it having to be that boxing, the van and group of people are available seperatelly. the group of people is called campus friends and the van is in a few versions

On 2/6/2024 at 6:22 PM, Ace-Garageguy said:

Right now it's a '60 Buick hardtop annual...but the prices are crazy if you can even find one. 

Big surprise, eh?

You will pay a premium for one that still has a hood :) 

I have only ever seen a couple with the hood not cut out.

18 minutes ago, Carmak said:

You will pay a premium for one that still has a hood :) 

I have only ever seen a couple with the hood not cut out.

Interesting..I have one with the hood separate...I thought it was made that way (cleanly separate).   No engine, though. 

21 minutes ago, Rob Hall said:

Interesting..I have one with the hood separate...I thought it was made that way (cleanly separate).   No engine, though. 

The 60 Buick is an interesting kit. It might be the only kit AMT with the cut-out hood. Remember the 60 Buick, Thunderbird, F100 and C-10 were the first AMT annual kits to have opening hoods, so AMT was new at this.

The plastic between the hood and the body is hardly thicker than flash to it can be cut easily. 

In retrospect I suspect AMT was looking at a way to avoid the tooling change from promo to kit where the hood is removed from the body and molded as a separate piece.

I don't know if they are Holy Grails or not, but I'm always on the lookout for the early 70s MPC Annuals. I would love to get the pre-facelift Jeep Commando, the early Pinto and Vega, the small bumper 73 Caprice and the 74-77 Camaro. Oh, and the first version of their Dodge Van and Open Road Chevy van both with the glass for window van versions. Pretty much all their output would be cool to have.