Model Cars Magazine Forum

Mishmash T-Bucket

Dave Armstrong

Mishmash T-Bucket

Remember back in the days, in the '60s and '70s, reading all those cool CARtoons and Hot Rod Cartoons magazines? I loved it when those guys would go into the garage, with wrenches and a welding torch, and come out with some mashup of parts made into some cool rod of some kind! Parts from this, parts from that, and, voila! Some kinda neat ride!

This was built with that spirit in mind; and also, over the decades, I've built many different but more or less traditional T-Buckets, even kitbash, but still in that vein. I wanted to build something with some more non- traditional things.

This wasn't a kit I started out with, it's just parts. With the magazine guys in mind, I happened to be looking through my junkyard, and parts boxes. This is the result of a mixing of AMT and Revell/Monogram parts- some T-Bucket, some not even close. I wanted to build this just out of leftovers. 2 day build.

AMT body, and surgically shortened chassis; Revell top, altered to sit lower. Engine and headers from the parts box (from an AMT '40 Willys). Wheels from the junkyard, probably a no longer existing old Tijuana Taxi build. Front and rear tires from the parts box, can't remember where each came from. Scoop painted to match the body. I don't wire my builds.

Sometime back, I learned of a new line of paint and primer, from Roth's son. I was interested, found the site and looked it over, bought some. I may not have done a perfect job, but I like the product! Black primer, black base coat, fuchsia metal flake. I didn't lay the flake on heavy, just misted it on.

This build results in two new "first times" for me- first time I've used urethane paint, and metal flake. I liked both!

Hope you like it, comments welcome!

First pic is a close up of the paint, so you get an idea of what it looks like, if it doesn't show up well enough in the other pics. My wife (who always wants to see what I've been working on) says it's the most beautiful paint I've used. I think I might agree.

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

• Like 5

37 minutes ago, Flatout said:

Damn Dave…that is Sweet!   Love everything about it, especially the paint and rose colored glass.  😎

Hi Pete! Thanks, glad you liked it!

Got another couple of builds painted with metal flake, probably be posting soon. I'm having fun with the urethane!