Model Cars Magazine Forum

I learned how to drive a Model T

Yes, real Model Ts, not hot rods with modern running gear, the one in the videos is unrestored.  Because they were warmed up, didn't learn what it takes to get one started from scratch, such as messing with the carb, flicking the switch and checking the amp meter, retarding the timing, pulling the choke, and whatever else depending on how the car was equipped.  The first ones didn't even have batteries, some of these cars did have electric starters.  The hardest thing to learn, the right foot is the brake, the left foot is used differently than a regular clutch.  The hand brake does more than work for parking, it allows the left pedal to go into high gear.  The lever on the right of the steering wheel is the gas, left lever does ignition advance/retard.  There is a center pedal for engaging reverse.  I watched a bunch of other guys learning before I went, so I knew the first steps, but had to learn on the fly what else to do.  We had the Prescott Rodeo grounds to drive around.  For the video of me driving, the owner stood on the running board. 😲  It was the most fun I had with the club.

I also drove the depot hack, owned by a charter member.
IMG_5916.thumb.jpg.639a44d4435ee0c8018e8628ce4a81f7.jpg
IMG_5918.thumb.jpg.9bca2871df767d60e79d03130779b3cf.jpg
IMG_5922.thumb.jpg.d2a671f8eac14feed5d5233328ed386b.jpg

The PAAC has a clubhouse.  My Blue Cloud next to a beautiful older Chevy pickup.

IMG_5923.jpg

Edited by 89AKurt
  • Like 8

Great job! I learned to drive my father's 23 T when I was about 13 or 14. It can be a little intimidating at first but like anything else, when you got it figured out it's easy. Everyone that has a chance to do it, should . Like you said it's a lot of fun.

• Like 1

A 1926 Model T Speedster was my daily driver for about 2 years, from 1990-1991, until it was stolen.

A hoot to drive everyday.

At least in California, a Speedster is so light, it won't trip the sensors in some left turn lanes. I had to try to hit the middle of some lanes to trigger the lighter motorcycle pad. Was not every light though. Just a few.

Glad you learned to drive one. They are fun once you get the hang of it!

• Like 1